KCFS Seabee takes too the FSX skies!!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KCFS Seabee takes too the FSX skies!!!!

This plane is going to be so cool!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Thanks for the offer. There are quite a few Seabee's up here around Seattle so I have plenty of references. My biggest concern right now is sound files for the Franklin engine. Im not sure I have proper equipment to record the engine sound, and to rent it would be massivly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by tomford View Post
    Looks great, if you need anything let me know. there is a seabee based at the airport i work at

Tom
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

The innards are looking great, Kevin! I'll be adding this one to the hangar for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbage View Post
    Thanks for the offer. There are quite a few Seabee's up here around Seattle so I have plenty of references. My biggest concern right now is sound files for the Franklin engine. Im not sure I have proper equipment to record the engine sound, and to rent it would be massivly expensive.
    We used a 120 dollar device off of Ebay to record the C310 and they turned out quite nicely. The biggest issue is wind. You need to do it on a quiet day...

Not only that, but finding someone willing to let me record there Bee is also a problem, and most likley they wont burn AVG just for fun. Doing something as simple as recording sounds can get very expensive. Winter is also closing in here so there is not a lot of flyable days left in the year. I may stick a default engine sound in, and later add a custom sound pack if the Seabee proves to be successful and justifies the cost. As it is things are tight already. Its hard playin with the big boys when you only have a 3 man team!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

One of the things I always wondered about is why most 3rd party add-on's dont use normal/spec/reflection mapping in the cockpit. I have seen some amazing looking aircraft out there in 3rd party, but they just dont react to light like they should. This got me to thinking about how full shaders in the cockpit would look, so I started playing around a bit.

What your seeing is just the diffuse and a normal map on an overly shiny material. The spec map will help tone down the shine/gloss, but this way you can truly see the normal maps. I can honestly sit here and stare at this photo endlessly because it brings to life SO MUCH detail! There is just so much detail that normal maps can bring! Im going full on with the rest of the cockpit in this way.

AS for people worried about performance, normal and spec can always be disabled easy by deleting the images out of the cockpit, but FSX does a really good job pushing pixels, I dont see it being a huge hit. If it is, I may work in some sort of option for high or low detail cockpit or something.

For now, fiest your eyes! Also, here is the big debate. Dirty, or not dirty?

Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Also, here is the big debate. Dirty, or not dirty?
    To which I answer, "Yes!"

Make one clean and one dirty that we can switch out. However, if you are going to make some of the external textures weathered, have a weathered cockpit to match and a clean cockpit for the clean external textures.

For now, fiest your eyes! Also, here is the big debate. Dirty, or not dirty?
    First of all, looking real good Kevin!
    As for the debate, we're talking about aircraft at least 65 years old, so I would suggest that 'used', not necessarily dirty, would be appropriate, unless it is a very recent restoration.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Not to add extra work, but my vote is for both as well. While it's nice to see what an airplane looked like brand spanking new, it's also nice to see a realistic, active-flying version as well.

As for the sounds, my vote is don't worry about them. I've got over 3,000 hours in the C-130 and fly FSX with the sound muted because my ears don't care for engine noise.

I'll always vote for used over factory-fresh. That doesn't mean in ruins, but I expect an aircraft of this vintage to be pretty worn. Either way, it's looking really good!

My vote is for both. On the worn version, maybe even a cracked top dash, torn seat and worn carpet would add to the mix.

One thing I can do, is include the cockpit in the paint kit. I can keep the dirt on a layer the user can customize easy.

Here is another question to you guys, my customers. Would you accept a staggered release? Here is the deal. I just came down with a nasty chest infection. Its going to slow down production a lot. My plan was to have both the classic cockpit with 215HP Franklin engine and the new IFR cockpit with 295HP Lycoming for release before Xmas. I dont think I can get the full IFR pit and external changes done before the end of the holidays with this cold. Would it be acceptable to release the original "classic" Seabee, and then put out a free upgrade to the IFR "modern" Seabee later? I dont want to miss the very important holiday season, but I also dont want to upset my customers.

There is also plans for a 3rd Seabee free model, a V8 powered 400HP model! Im not going to promis that untill I know what sort of cockpit mods are needed for it. The new IFR Seabee model has a lot of external changes. Like 3' extended wings, down-dropping wingtips, and new engine cowling with 3 bladed prop. The pilot says the mods make it into a totally differant aircraft and much better to fly.

I hope I get over this fast. I went to the Dr today to get some anti-biotics. Its killing production more the Skyrim... Dont expect a lot of Seabee updates from me for a little bit, but I will keep checking this thread.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

I'm fine either way Kevin. Either way, you come first. Get the rest you need. As much as we don't want to accept it, we live in the Pacific Northwest, and it's unfortunately that time of year AGAIN! Head colds, fever, aches and pains to slow us down.

Whatever you decide, I'm in. Now, if I can convince my significant other when the time comes

With what you've shown this far, I can't wait for your next venture!!

If the pricing is simular to your Evektor there can be no complaint as that is a very fair price for a single model. The rest are a bonus! That is the way I would look at it anyway. If this is to be $40 or over I could see people complaining, not me personally but I could see it.

The dirt layers in the paint kit is the way to go on that issue I believe.

Really looking forward to this one.

Edit- Get well soon!
    "The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." Manfred von Richthofen

Yeah, go with the staggered release. I would definitely be willing to wait a bit for an additional free model. Who wouldn't? Take care of yourself first, though. My $ will still be there after you get better. Good luck.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

One thing I can do, is include the cockpit in the paint kit. I can keep the dirt on a layer the user can customize easy.

Here is another question to you guys, my customers. Would you accept a staggered release? Here is the deal. I just came down with a nasty chest infection. Its going to slow down production a lot. My plan was to have both the classic cockpit with 215HP Franklin engine and the new IFR cockpit with 295HP Lycoming for release before Xmas. I dont think I can get the full IFR pit and external changes done before the end of the holidays with this cold. Would it be acceptable to release the original "classic" Seabee, and then put out a free upgrade to the IFR "modern" Seabee later? I dont want to miss the very important holiday season, but I also dont want to upset my customers.

There is also plans for a 3rd Seabee free model, a V8 powered 400HP model! Im not going to promis that untill I know what sort of cockpit mods are needed for it. The new IFR Seabee model has a lot of external changes. Like 3' extended wings, down-dropping wingtips, and new engine cowling with 3 bladed prop. The pilot says the mods make it into a totally differant aircraft and much better to fly.

I hope I get over this fast. I went to the Dr today to get some anti-biotics. Its killing production more the Skyrim... Dont expect a lot of Seabee updates from me for a little bit, but I will keep checking this thread.
    Okay by me. I prefer clean. As a user/buyer and not a developer, I don't want to have to fool around with layers, which I know nothing about. Don't forget the cockpit glass refections!

Get Well!

Joe

The Evektor was a cheep small aircraft. Not nearly as big or complex as the Seabee. I cant match that price on something like this. I think the Seabee will land in around 25$, but thats for 2 or 3 aircraft (Classic, modern, and possible V8)! I think its a fair price for such a nice aircraft.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Oops, I'll be honest here... I thought the Evektor cost me $25! Haha. I knew it was cheap compared to what I normally pay but I checked my e-mail and see that I paid $15! Thanks for that.

When I wrote the post above I really was thinking for $25 I couldn't see a reason to complain, for $40 someone will. The 2nd and 3rd models are freebies after the fact, bonus! If you never mentioned models 2 and 3 and said "Here is the model, $25 please." people would be quite happy with that.

Not too many nice $25 packages anymore never mind ones with 3 models.
    "The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." Manfred von Richthofen

I'm okay with a staggered release. Especially if it means I can get my hands on the yoke before Christmas! Take care of yourself though - there's more than enough planes to fly in the meantime. It's better that you get over what ails you.

The Evektor was a cheep small aircraft. Not nearly as big or complex as the Seabee. I cant match that price on something like this. I think the Seabee will land in around 25$, but thats for 2 or 3 aircraft (Classic, modern, and possible V8)! I think its a fair price for such a nice aircraft.
    I couldn't complain about a deal like that.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

I also think what you suggest is an excellent deal. It's only when payware gets released like the CS stages that I think is a bit 'naff'.

Much as I'd luuuuuuuv to see the whole thing released asap, I think the stagger and a return to health is a better deal for everyone!

REALLY looking forward to this.
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Thanks everyone for the good feedback! Since this is my 2nd product under my own banner, its all a learning experience. Thats why I LOVE this forum, and being able to directly communicate with my potential customers and get feedback (good or bad).

Thanks to everyone, and a big thanks for the admins here that allow open dev communications!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Certainly sounds very fair. This has really caught my attention so I had to take a look at your sport star and will be picking that up as soon as I get tired of my heli simulator set-up (probably won't be too soon though )

LouP

The Evektor is a fun little aircraft, for those who want to take things low and slow. I call it the perfect OrbX add-on Amazing visibility, and at a great price. Its also not very complex, so your not too busy flying the aircraft to enjoy the scenery! Thats how it is in real life, and its how we simulated it. I already have a few hours in the right seat of a real SportStar! My avatar photo is me flying it in real life.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Members who have read this thread: 1