Leading a Squadron

Thread: Leading a Squadron

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

Leading a Squadron

So, the other night, I was experimenting again. I created some fighters to see what all each one could do, and the coolest ones I could find, by using the photos from that Russian site.

I found that I could place a Jumpdrive in the Falcon Hauler, which is basically their fighter ship, (one of their lines). The Hauler could also mount Plasma Burst Generators (which I have on my fave Nemesis lite Corvettes). They will destroy a Pirate fighter in quick time. So, I get my ship with all the tunes and weapons, turret outfitted, etc, and then clone about 7 of them. I take 6 and make a squadron, but keep one as a template ship. I then go hunting for the next two days, making my way straight South from Manilayisis' Frontier (The one by Ceos Buckzoid) and head down to pirate territory.

In the journey, I lost 3 fighters to collisions from them following me irratically. I sware. I then foundmyself with control of the fleet issues. I give them a command and my own ship goes to following another. What in the world!? So I figure out how to detach my own figher from the wing, and then I figure out to must have them move to a location in a sector and 'stay put', lol... Then when we found pirates, I would dispatch them. I later found a couple of cheap used ships, one even a Nemesis (happy I was to find that!!!!) and got them outfitted with some bits and weapons and off again we went.

Some good fun when things were going right. I hated to lose good ships to self inflicted collisions. Who taught them to fly??? ack..

Now, I think I am going to create a string of headquarters stations through the system in key locations. I made number two last night in Trinity Sanctum, I think it was. Ordered a Split Elephant to pull stations with, so I can move them if needed. I have two stations that use the Crystal fab design, which has 2 landing ports each, (10 units can dock), but they arent even with the planet. Somehow I need to spin them 90 degrees... so the view out of my bedroom windows will show the planet just right... heh...

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

oh man i do miss x3, i have not been in space for a long time -too long... i really liked to take a couple of small carriers and load them up with a belly full of "disposable" fighters then just go out on a prowl. my fav fleet was made up of that yorktown carrier, and one from wing commander, i also took a battleship and a few corvettes and i would often just sit back and watch a battle then sweep in to salvage any cargo or weapons left behind when the smoke cleared...lol
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

SOH-CM-2014
    Oh man.. That sounds like fun! I must do that.

Last night, about 8 pirate ships came through a system I have a station at. I called my fleet of Split Tiger heavy corvettes in. Actually, I think they are bigger then Destroyers. But... I had created one, used SuperTune on it, and it does like some crazy amount of speed. I then cloned it. So, the Tiger squadron get to the sector and start banging at the fleet. One launches a Hammerhead after a while of dogfighting, and takes out all the pirate ships at once. (Powerful missle). So then, 8 Tigers are trying to hit one pirate.... and the Tigers are going faster then the pirate, nearly hitting each other.

Note to self, keep big ships at regular speeds... Lost one Tiger. I called them out, back home, and took out the pirate myself.

How can one take a single fighter or craft out of a Fighter Wing? Can you desolve a fighter wing? I couldnt figure out how to do that last night. I looked for like 15 min's. I know its possible as I had done it before.

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    Ok.. I found out how to detach a ship from a wing.

Click on a Wing 'ship', click C for Comms. navigate downward on the list in the Command Console for the wing, and you'll come accross a list of the ships. Click on one and hit enter and Voila, you'll see a mini menu that includes 'Temporarily remove from Wing' as well as 'Remove from said Wing'.

Done...

Tiger fleet is having to be illiminated.. sadly.. We are going to rebuild the fleet though from the recycled parts into re-useable 'slower' Corvettes/Destroyers (more Tigers that are slower and not so dangerous when patrolling).

I found another free ship! Dang if I missed one.. Prototype Skate. I guess I missed this one. I did alot of flying in it tonight. I must have flown 3 hours tonight. Felt good to get away from problems.

I have a new fleet (squadron) of Split Mamba Raiders. Brilliant craft. With stock Boost and engine improvements, they run at about 240 M/S top out. Love it. They can also hyper-jump, enough room in the boot to hold a Hyper Drive, I guess. (and the batteries to run that thing, lol). I have some nice ammo on them, and they arent doing 1,000 M/S, so they are good for patrol craft. I will set them around the systems as patrol craft around the 'company' stations.

Signing off for the night. Its been a great week of exploration and PBK'g... (Pirate Butt Kicking).

bill

Man I have forgotten so much about this game all my fleet mgmt skills will all have to be relearned, I remember going on massive fleet building binges and ending up with so many ships and stations in a sector that the game slowed to a slide show...lol I do miss the old trips to "Indian Country" though going in with a carrier, battleship, a couple of Corvettes and 3 wings of fighters and just cleaning house, then calling in the salvage detail and having them clean up the mess we left behind... Massive Fun!
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    Normally, I just sit in one of my carriers, send out one or two wings and watch the action..........
    sometimes I'll jump into an unassigned fighter and join the fray ( oh, and I have "collisions" turned off..........
    it was getting too ridiculous !!! ).

LD
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

SOH-CM-2014
    Off to find 'turn off collisions'. That would have saved me a few Nemesis ships.. arrghh..