Carrier Ops

Thread: Carrier Ops

Carrier Ops

Had to go back to basics. Smashed up a F9F Panther on the USS Lincoln, so I hopped into the Tigercat and flew a few landings onboard the USS Lexington (CV-2). Been flying a tube a lot lately and was getting rusty.

So Many Carriers, So Little Time....
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

That looks like a nice carrier Willy. To date I have never taken the time to understand how to place arrestor cable data into carriers or the data required to place in aircraft. So thus I have never been able to do carrier landings and takeoffs per carrier ops other than simply using slow planes to land on them.

Are there any carriers out their that come already set up with arrestor function ready to go?

The carrier is Putt Putt's USS Lexington (CV-2). Mick packaged up a bunch of them scattered around the world. This one is off of San Diego. I have several carrier sets all over the world ranging from a small fleet of WW I Brit carriers at Scapa Flow, the US Navy's first carrier Langley scattered about, the Lexington set, Saratoga CV-3 in other locations, the Doolittle Raid task group off of Japan and Long Island, the Essex class Lexington (CV-16) off of Pensacola (home, sweet home) and the original arrcab carrier set of Nimitz class all over the world as well. Plus some others that I know that I've missed. I'm always up for adding another carrier anywhere in the world and it's easy to lose track of just where I have then installed.

I don't use arrestor cables. I use an older gaugeset that is added to the panel that consists of a tailhook gauge for arrested landings and a catapult launch gauge for those. Here's a screenshot of them installed into the F7F panel. The tail hook is on the left and the cat launch is on the right. The "disadvantage" to the Carrier Ops gauges is that you don't have to be on a carrier deck to use them. They work anywhere.

Likewise; Rob Barendregt's carrier ops guage set here too.

The arrestor gauge is keyed to the length of the tailhook; so won't 'activate' unless tailhook is 'virtually' making contact
    with a surface.

I hide it (gauge switch) in the minipanel of some aeroplanes; makes it great for practising RHAG / PUAG / CHAG (http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...ter-Gear/page7)
    captures on military landbases (its' why most fighter jets retain a hook)

ttfn

Pete

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The carrier is Putt Putt's USS Lexington (CV-2). Mick packaged up a bunch of them scattered around the world. This one is off of San Diego. I have several carrier sets all over the world ranging from a small fleet of WW I Brit carriers at Scapa Flow, the US Navy's first carrier Langley scattered about, the Lexington set, Saratoga CV-3 in other locations, the Doolittle Raid task group off of Japan and Long Island, the Essex class Lexington (CV-16) off of Pensacola (home, sweet home) and the original arrcab carrier set of Nimitz class all over the world as well. Plus some others that I know that I've missed. I'm always up for adding another carrier anywhere in the world and it's easy to lose track of just where I have then installed.

I don't use arrestor cables. I use an older gaugeset that is added to the panel that consists of a tailhook gauge for arrested landings and a catapult launch gauge for those. Here's a screenshot of them installed into the F7F panel. The tail hook is on the left and the cat launch is on the right. The "disadvantage" to the Carrier Ops gauges is that you don't have to be on a carrier deck to use them. They work anywhere.
    :salute: It's a good idea getting us thinking of carriers again Willy. We'll need them!

Especially with the forcoming masterpiece the 'Chief' is putting together for us all.

For 'Tiggy' I'll have a brand new soundset up here soon for all the engine warming, ground/deck handling/ that you could wish for.
    The new flight sounds will make her shift too.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post

Where can I find these files? They sound great!

I use arrestor cables once I figured them out. It's nice to be able to adjust things so trapping AC take a realistic distance to stop and launch to a decent air speed. Don't know if the other gauge allows that. Now if only the carriers sailed with wave motion.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

When you trap with the gauges, you do go a little bit forward after catching the wire. Then it's stop for a second and a short rollback. But even going forward a bit, it's a pretty sudden stop.

The gauges were here under my name before the big server crash a few years ago. Not sure if they still are or not. FlightSim might have them as well. I'd use Rob Barendregt as a search parameter there and see what comes up.

USS Langley (CV-1)

Langley is one of the carriers that I find it hard to land on because it's so darn small. Especially in a larger aircraft like the F7F. But it is doable....

(yeah, I was a bit low on that approach)

I found a rcbco-20 by Rob Barendregt. Will try that out. Kind of like the idea of being able to trap where ever you want and anytime you want. Got it downloaded and also that neat looking lex cv2. Now if I can grasp how to install the trapping device in a good plane.

Love that ocean water color in your last post Willy, looks color real.

It's Bill Lyons' water that was included in his later aircraft/scenery packs.

The other Langley (CVL-28)

One of my favorite carriers here, the light carrier Langley. The F7F is a tight fit on the deck, but doable. I took off from NAS Whibdey Island and it took a few attempts to make the landing as I was getting rusty again. First one, I was too high and to starboard and almost took out the masts getting out of there. Next time I got too low too close to the stern and rolled to port while going full throttle to go around. Third time was the charm although I did land almost too far to starboard. But it was still a fair trap.

Yep, I need to do this more often...