FSX Technical - call for wisdom

Thread: FSX Technical - call for wisdom

FSX Technical - call for wisdom

...'cos I have run out.

My install of FSX on win vista 64 bit worked ok. I installed the tilt rotor.

FSX worked ok too.

After about 6 or 7 flights I had look at the pilot's logbook - there were several logged flights in the FSTR (silly designation Wilco - you ought to have called it a BA-609 at least)

Anyway, I deleted a flight with the default trike (in the middle of the tiltrotor flights) to give a clean list for screenshot purposes

Now FSX doesn't record flights anymore - I have flown a couple of dozen since 11th December.

Any ideas chaps and chapsesses?
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

Yeah,
    Replace it with the back-up you made before editing? The log seems to one of the major causes of problems in FsX so if you don't have a back-up delete it and let FsX build a new one.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Well It's a case of total delete perhaps, because I never touched the logbook before in the sense of editing externally. I had deleted individual flights and now I hav found a log book editor thanks to FSinsider. If I can't fix it I'll delete it - I don't really care about the hours - I get a new logbook every time I rebuild, and beta testing flights are often just up and downers or less...

Thanks Roger!
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

You corrupted the logbook file when you deleted the trike flight. Probably because it was not the very last entry in your logbook. Once the logbook file gets corrupted it will stop logging flights from that point onward.

If you still have the logbook.bin file that is giving you problems you may be able to salvage the whole thing using the FSX Logbook Recovery tool. You can find it over at Avsim under "fsxlogrecovery11.zip".

Personally I use the Logbook Editor also from Avsim, "logbookedit-0411062225.zip".

The trick is to never use the FSX in-sim logbook to edit anything.

It has no sense of humor and will go south for the slightest reason.

I use the Logbook Editor immediatly after each flight to double check all the stats and make any corrections. I haven't had to use the Recovery Tool yet.

The in-sim Logbook is okay to look at. Just don't touch anything.

Fixed with that editing tool!

The logbook entries are still probably there. I had the same experience as you, CBris, and after running the logbook recovery tool (fsxlogrecovery11.zip), the flights I had made, that were not showing up anymore, appeared. So try that before deleting the whole logbook...

[EDIT]
    Glad it worked!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Snap - parallel posting. I used Lamont Clarke's logbook editer as discussed on FSdeveloper.com

Corrupted Logbook

Look for the file - Logbook.BIN in -
    <table style="background: rgb(242, 242, 242) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" class="prettytable" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="background: rgb(192, 192, 144) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> Filename </td><td style="background: rgb(192, 192, 144) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> OS </td><td style="background: rgb(192, 192, 144) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> Location </td><td style="background: rgb(192, 192, 144) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> Editor </td><td style="background: rgb(192, 192, 144) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> Download </td></tr> <tr> <td> Logbook.BIN </td><td> XP </td><td> C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ </td><td> FSX Log Book Editor </td><td> Lamont Clarke's Software Page (1Mb) </td></tr> <tr> <td style="background: rgb(248, 234, 186) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> Logbook.BIN </td><td style="background: rgb(248, 234, 186) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> Vista </td><td style="background: rgb(248, 234, 186) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ </td><td style="background: rgb(248, 234, 186) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> FSX Log Book Editor </td><td style="background: rgb(248, 234, 186) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> Lamont Clarke's Software Page (1Mb)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Hi Folks

Chris -
    Looks familiar.
    Glad someone's found that useful.

Just a caveat I'd mean't to add -

Unlikely scenario,
    unless
    you're a chopper pilot.

If your logbook contains any single flight with more than 100 landings,
    then do not use Lamont Clarke's editor at all.

Use one of the alternative repair tools instead, (suggest deleting landings to < 100).

Explanation at - FSdeveloper - Wiki - Problem Resolving (FSX)

HTH
    ATB
    Paul

The ODG Project

I've never felt so frustrated.......
    died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly.......
    yet had so much fun, in a long time.

Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Cbris,

How do you like running FSX in Vista 64? I am waiting on another internal HD, and finally plan on installing Vista. Until I got my hands on a video card that would run DX10, I wasn't going to attempt it.

But now I will.

NC

Hi Chief,

I don'T have any problems with Vista 64, but then I am probably not so knowledgable as to know what is good and what is not...

But there are issues of course - you WILL need to check for 64 bit versions of every single driver and (important to you) software on your PC.

On th eFSX side, there are a few addons which give no functional guarantee in V64 - the TiltRotor from Wilco carries a V64 health warning - but it does work well, except perhaps for one or two switches.

Sometimes you can tie FSX up in knots too - you'll get a situation in which the plane you're in simply will not recover - probably because you have exceeded the mathematical computation limits of its tiny brain... But all in all - no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BASys View Post
    Hi Folks

If your logbook contains any single flight with more than 100 landings,
    then do not use Lamont Clarke's editor at all.

HTH
    ATB
    Paul
    It helped, thanks... 100 landings eh? Oh dear... I had better brush up my final approaches then. I can easily reach higher numbers on a single runway.... :costumes:

I once landed the J3 Cub ........ all 12 times........
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

And of course lots of small landings are better than one that is a bit too positive...

SOH-CM-2024
    FSX really doesn't use Windows 64-bit, it is partitioned into the 32-bit Program Files (x86) Folder.

Caz