The Postman

Thread: The Postman

Charter Member 09

The Postman

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stay these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"... We were taught this along with the Marine hymn, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and other such fables.
    There was a time though, before WWII, that it almost came true. Our mailman was called Fred. A big, tall, burly man in his fifties. He would always show up at 3:20 in the afternoon. You could set your watch by his arrival. He was a part of our family and always knew who was dead or dying, was sick, or who won last night's Bingo game. From time to time he'd share a Tootsie Roll with us kids.
    He wore his grey uniform proudly, adorned with a big horse hide bag of mail strapped to his shoulder. He was a very happy man.
    He would pickup his mail at a post box at the bottom of the hill. No Jeeps for him. He carried his duties on shanks mare. I'm glad to pay him this trbute to one of God's quiet heros.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

man, those were the days, eh? try coming up here to canadia if you want to know how good you still have it.

every month for the last 2 1/2 years i mail a money order to my landlord for the storage garage, and another one to pay on my visa card. the 3-5 day mail never ever arrives faster than 7 or 8 days, and at least 4 times a year it gets lost all together.

when i lived in the states, i never once had the usps lose a letter.

Not that way here HD. I'm sorry to say it but mail delivery here where I am sucks. You never know from one day to the next if.... you will get your mail... or what time it will arrive IF it's going to be delivered. And yes, we had a day that whoever was to deliver the mail for our street just up and didn't deliver it at all. And we called about it. Lady said yes mail was delivered and all were back at the post office and had gone home. She couldn't comprehend that no one saw a mail truck or person all day. Even if we don't get bills, checks or regular mail, we do get junk mail on a daily basis.

Next day the mail was delivered extra early.... by 10am. :costumes: Usually it's delivered anywhere from noon to 5pm.... by various nefarious looking postal workers.

The newest postal distribution center in Philly is now under investigation. It seems mail has been found in the trash and hiden away in dark places. Plus people haven't recieved mail that had been sent 2 weeks prior to their complaints.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

At one point in time, we did have halfway decent postal service around my place. Sure, I'd lose a payment to one of my suppliers at least 6 times per year but overall it wasn't that bad. :isadizzy:

Nowadays we've got this in ND...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27288312/

But...what most of the news reports on this story have been failing to mention...
    The thieving postal worker in question also used to be the Richland County, ND sheriff for several years before his stint as a sticky-fingered mail carrier!

From my own personal experience when I went to school in his jurisdiction...He was just as crooked of a LEO as he was a postman...

Hals und Bein Bruch
    ...anyone of us could meet that standard if anyone of us put forth the same efforts our parents made..!

Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post

The newest postal distribution center in Philly is now under investigation. It seems mail has been found in the trash and hiden away in dark places. Plus people haven't recieved mail that had been sent 2 weeks prior to their complaints.

somehow, being philly, that doesn't surprise me. i'm not a big fan of philthadelphia, and never have been.

I went through a six-month battle with my post office last year. Part of it was the county's fault. (I had to have my address changed because the house three doors up had the exact same address....) My mail was often simply not delivered. For a while, it was never delivered on Mondays, but sometimes on Saturdays. They'd usually take a day or two extra off around holidays too... My mortgage got screwed up a couple times because important letters were sent back to the sender. Fun...

I spoke repeatedly with the postal manager (they apparently don't have a postmaster here....) who promised the sun and moon. Delivered, of course, nothing. It wasn't until I went to Consumer Affairs in Camden, NJ of all places, that things somehow got straightened out. Or fixed as far as I can tell...

Members who have read this thread: 0