disk error while writing .\ \.\Sound\USEnglishBig.gvp

Thread: disk error while writing .\ \.\Sound\USEnglishBig.gvp

disk error while writing .\ \.\Sound\USEnglishBig.gvp

With most of the summer outdoor projects behind me - a relatively new Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit rig in place and the upcoming 'Flight Sim Season' just around the corner - I decided to ready my 'Man Cave', dig out my Logitech Extreme 3D joystick, get rid of most of the signs of a regular presence of my teenage son and his strategy games, both 'in room' and 'on HD' and in general tidy up the place a bit.

That done, I decide to take a quick 'kick the tires, light the fires' spin in FSX. And Oh Joy! I did not realize how much I enjoy flight simming. I truly have missed it.

Next thing was to install FS9 on my new rig. (This is no FSX vs. FS9 thread. Just want both ) And here I ran into trouble.

After 42% of CD 2, I got this message: 'disk error while writing to the file C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 2004\Sound\USEnglishBig.gvp. Make sure your harddisk is not full, and that the file is not in use' And I had to abort the installation.

(Not sure if the path is repeated right, it's from the top of my head. Anyway, got the same error while trying to install to the 'default' folder )

I have tried to 'Run as Administrator', and to let it 'auto run'. I found a file with the same name in FSX, temporarily re-named that one, when installing FS9. But with no luck

Any idea of what could be wrong?

Take care and happy flying!

J
    To err is human; to forgive, divine [Alexander Pope]

"USEnglishBig.gvp" is basically the voicepack. I don't have Windows 7, so can't give specific advice, but I had a few problems last time I had to reinstall FS9; a quick polish of the problem CD sorted it - a smudge or a bit of dirt can cause the weirdest problems.
    Andy

The one time I had an error while installed FS9 it was due to just the tiniest bit of dirt/dust/alien snot on the 4th install disc. A quick swipe across the front of my T-Shirt (not recommended by any professional disc cleaning service) and the unknown substance was gone and the second install effort was flawless. Take a look at the disc, holding it at angles, to see if there is anything on the disc. Even a finger print can be enough to prevent the files from being read properly and fully.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    ....... A quick swipe across the front of my T-Shirt .......
    I see you use the same professional approach as myself Tim!
    Andy

Wink

Ah, I didn't think of it as a 'low tech' problem. I will try out your suggestions and scrutinize the disks surfaces for any malicious substance.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Take care

J
    To err is human; to forgive, divine [Alexander Pope]

Members who have read this thread: 0