Ekranoplane

Thread: Ekranoplane

Ekranoplane

Maybe old but new to me. Not the aircraft but I've never known that this is available for FS9. Found this at avsim.ru last night. An old Alphasim EX-payware the "poster" said. I hope it is so !

Attachment 45702Attachment 45703

It's not posted at the official Alphasim freeware site, but is also not listed as currently for sale by Virtavia. Sadly this looks like another 'poster' making assumptions.
    Andy

ARGH !!! Did I again put my foot in "IT" ???

This aircraft IS freeware :

ame: ala90orl.zip Size: 6,446,464 Date: 02-16-2008 Downloads: 2,176
    FS2002/FS2004 A-90 Orlenok ekranoplan. During the Cold War stories of strange Russian craft that skimmed the waves at incredibly high speed began to circulate. Ekranoplans had long been kept secret by the Communist design bureau. WIGE (Wing in Ground Effect) craft are relatively unheard of. Freeware from Alphasim.

Mike

This bird has been freeware for quite a while now. I did up a sound package for it many moons back....its in the library under my user name (in the Warbirds Archive). There may be two files to download for that sound pack....can't remember.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not sure if the A-90 is in the library here or not but it is available from Flightsim. The A-90 has a trolly system and can be "driven" straight off of a boat launch into the water in FS9. It's a baby compared to it's bigger brother, the "Lun" (Dove) Erkranoplan, also known as "The Caspian Sea Monster".

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    This bird has been freeware for quite a while now. I did up a sound package for it many moons back....its in the library under my user name (in the Warbirds Archive). There may be two files to download for that sound pack....can't remember.

OBIO

THX ! I'll look for it

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Not sure if the A-90 is in the library here or not but it is available from Flightsim. The A-90 has a trolly system and can be "driven" straight off of a boat launch into the water in FS9. It's a baby compared to it's bigger brother, the "Lun" (Dove) Erkranoplan, also known as "The Caspian Sea Monster".

Alphasim did do the Lun Ekranoplan too. That was still payware when they switched to Virtavia and I don't think it's resurfaced under their label yet.

WWI started because some bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry.

Wasn't the Lun-Class (Lun = Harrier) scheduled for refit and re-entry to production sometime soon after the Russian Navy figured out a use for it? still the Orlyonok (Correct name, means Eaglet in english) was a great WIG Craft, i'll certainly be getting my hands on it.... be interesting in SAR Colours.... co-incidentally the designer of the Ekranoplan' also designed my favourite...erm..... boat, the Kometa class Hydrofoil.... any modellers want to make it, they'd be good fun in sim Below is a Kometa-Class Hydrofoil up on it's wings. Length: 35 meters, Beam: 6 meters, Draft: 1.80meters, Engines: 2 X 1050 hp, Speed:35 knots, Capacity: 132 pax., 3 saloons Air-conditioned, TV-Video, Music, Bar

I believe the "Lun" Erkranoplan is available from Virtavia for both FS9 and FSX. I bought the model a couple of years or so back under the AlphaSim label.

The "Lun" (Dove) was a beast, armed with several gun turrets and six (6) "Sunburn" nuclear tipped missiles, it looked like a battleship with short stubby "wings" and a large tail. It is a totally different ship, much bigger than the A-90 Orlenok but still has alot of the same design features. Judging from the large bulbous 'domes' in the tail, a sophisticated radar array may have been fitted into it.
    Known also as the "Caspian Sea Monster" the Lun was one of the biggest, if not the biggest ocean going craft of this type in the Russian Navy. The "Lun" (Dove) was the 1987 attack version of a Search and Rescue variation of the same craft.

Smoothie -- There are but a few repaints available for both the A-90 as well as the Lun Erkranoplan, one of which for the A-90 is a fictional black "Pirate" scheme that I really like alot. The other is a fictional all black scheme for the Lun, with the Red Russian Stars that is awesome. As far as SAR repaints, me thinks you might be on your own for those. I looked pretty extensively for repaints for these two as I have both, and they are pretty much regular "flyers" for me.

If you go to Avsim and search "LUN" there are several repaints by Pierre Lheureux including a fictional Japanese Navy scheme. There is also a repaint for the A-90 by the same author... very nice paints. I didn't see the A-90 Pirate scheme anywhere so if anyone wants it, just PM me with your email addy and I'll send it off.

"El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 1