Flight 19 European Vacation
Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight 19 European Vacation

Flight 19 European Vacation

We decided to work our way across the Atlantic to Europe. So, Taco and I took off from Boston to Halifax NS for the first leg. Beings as we're going international, I switched to a BOAC paint for the Connie.

Nice flight although I was a bit concerned about the nuke cooling tower at the end of the runway. I managed to miss it somehow and landed okay.

Didn't know I had scenery for Halifax/Shearwater. Looks to be part of the VIVA set that we used in NW Canada and Alaska a while back.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

As Willy noted a nice flight between KBOS and CYAW, yea, that nuke tower at the end of the runway was a little spooky. On my decent all I seen was white finally broke thru the cloud layer and the final approach was clear as a bell. Here are a few snaps of the flight.

Moses started out with us but disappeared somewhere over Nova Scotia and took the stewardesses with him. The current theory is that they went to Vegas. Rob joined us as we were taking off and flew the trip to Gander in a Starliner.

Other than losing Moses in route, it was a pretty good flight. Gander was badly fogged in. I missed the runway to the left a bit, but thought it looked to land on the grass. Bad mistake. Bent the nose wheel under the Connie and pranged it pretty good. Hopefully with some duct tape and bubble gum, it'll be ready for take off tomorrow....

Again, a very nice flight flying over this part of Canada. Nice to see Rob and his L-1649 flying along. Now, what can be said about the weather and landings at Gander! All I can say is, sure glad we had an ILS! I couldn't see a darn thing until we were just coming over the fence. Rob mentioned that normal condition at Gander 200-1/4! Well, now we will be off to Goose Bay, I think.

We left Gander heading "northish" to Goose Bay. Decent flight with better weather than what we had yesterday. Nothing got folded, spindled or mutilated on this one.

Looked like a Lockheed convention at Goose Bay after we got there....

Howdy,

It was a very nice flight, but at time we thought that the weather would turn for the worst. A couple weather reports from CYYR noted blowing snow, and then rain, but on approach had just a sprinkle or two on the windshield, and some light fog. It was a pleasure to see the bloody runway on final for a change.

As you can see I kind of went wild with taking pictures. Shuck, I deleted a heck of a lot more. hehe. Sure was nice having MM and Rob along tonight. Hopefully, the remaining CNs will be joining up with Flight 19.

Bit of a haul from Goose Bay to Greenland. It's all about picking out the proper fjord...

Longish flight from Goose Bay to the old Bluie West One airfield in Greenland. But good company makes it seem shorter.

Wow! What a great flight between CYYR and BGBW! Fair weather for most of the flight, and good company for all of the flight. Sure nice to be back in the air with Flight 19.

As you can see I went wild with the picture taking again.

We left Greenland behind for Keflavik, Iceland. Another long flight, but from here on, there's more airports to land at so they'll be shorter. MM was with us for a while.

I'm still not getting over all the detail that's been put into these Connies.

Pics got scrambled up on the upload.

Howdy,

Here are a few snaps from Flight 19 flight from BGBW to BIKF. All in all a very nice flight and it was nice having MM flying along with us for awhile. We sure have seen a lot of water on the last few flights, but a little more and we will be in Europe some of the sites in Calclassic scenery of 1959/1960s. Dating myself, I remember those time very clearly!

We crossed Iceland to Egilsstadir (BIEG). Nice flight over the central glaciers and a good break from all the over water flying.

Sure was a nice flight over to Egilsstadir with the exception of the approach got a little figgie. Dropped down to a little over a thousand feet, and finally found a valley and a lake made a turn to 100 or so degree and follow them right up to the runway. All down and all safe! Here are a few snaps of the flight, and they are not in order.

We put Iceland behind us and headed southeast to Vagar in the Faroe Islands. Usual for Flight 19, Vagar was fogbound, but we made it okay.

A few photos of flight 19 flight from BIEG to EKVG. There for a while on approach I thought I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque sure couldn't see the airport no lights no nothing, but finally broke thru the cloud cover and low and behold there it was.

Took off from the Faroe Islands and flew on down to Edinburgh with MM, Moses, Taco and Srgalahad. Nice flight with pretty good weather for Scotland. Nice to be visiting the "old country". Off to find the "Golden Haggis" for a bite to eat....

Time to head on out, so we loaded up the Connies and flew on over to Shannon Ireland. Shannon was a major stop in the propliner days of transatlantic flight. Not so much these days as jets usually have better range.

Tomorrow.. an ancient Roman outpost.

Pics got all scrambled up again.

Must have been in a neat dream, NO FIG on approach and landing. Sure nice to see the runway from many miles out. Now we head into London, which I have head is figgie most of the time. I have my doubts that we will be able to see the Queen, but what the heck, this old boy shall visit a few pubs and maybe museum or two! Before heading off to the continent. Ah.....Viva La France. I think. hehe.

Sweet flight over the western Scotland, the Irish Sea and Belfast, and then over the green fields and small villages of central Ireland. Good to see the classic Shannon ramp and to duck inside to the well-stocked duty free shop.
    -Mike

Headed east to Merry Olde England, landing at London's Heathrow airport. Next stop Paris!

Hi all,

Shucks, We were so busy checking out the country side that we forgot to take many pictures. And worst yet, no invite to go to the Queen's house! No problem she more than likely doing all those Queen things. What a susprise, the weather was clear for our approach and landing at EGLL.

Three more Kodaks. First, climbing out of Shannon and over the Irish Sea, then a mixture of high clouds and the moon as we crossed into England, and finally the classic control tower at Heathrow.
    -Mike

Left Heathrow for a nice little hop across the Channel to Orly airport in Paris. Almost a full house tonight. Even had the FAA flying along with us. Got a couple of pics of downtown London on the way out.

It came up a thunderstorm as we flew into Paris which made for an interesting approach and landing. I flew over the aiport, doubled back and then made my approach.

Looks like we headed to a place with a Cadillac connection next....