Flight 19 European Vacation - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Flight 19 European Vacation

We left Benghazi behind and headed east to Alexandria Egypt. Kind of a longish flight for us in decent weather except for the net storm that bounced me offline for a bit. About the time that I was about to give up trying to get back on, I managed to get on.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Howdy all from Alexandria, Egypt.It was a longer flight than we normally do, but it was a nice one, with the exception of our approarch the doggone fig started to settle in. Thankfully, it didn't get real thick and our final we had good visibility into the landing. A couple of things, just before we left Benghazi we heard rumors that our buddy Achmed was trying to stop our departure and impound our plane and carge, but again we got the jump on him and very sneaky got out of Dodge. My trustie co-pilot Dudley still trying to get a popshot at the painting on the side of Willy ship, You know the tongue sticking out of those big lips, for some reason that sure bug him. hehe. I assume Willy sold his cargo of pickled pigs feet. One of these days going to have to ask him how he sold them Muslin country!Again went crazy with the photos, and again not in order.

Hey gang,

Here are a couple more photos from last nights flight.

When we took off for Beruit, I had a slight oops on take off at Alexandria. Pulled up to hard on take, raised the wheels, then belly whomped it back down onto the runway. Good thing they had some fast mechanics there.

Other than that, it was a pretty good flight watching Moses try to keep up in that B-29.

Hey, that's me behind Willy's fireworks didn't get any pictures of the fireworks to darn busy trying to miss the fire ball, but we made it with a little over powering of the engines. Here a few snaps of the flight, didn't take many this flight busy flying and watching for those unknown Zero fighters. Didn't see any, just maybe olde Achmed wouldn't pay them enough to tangle with Moses's B-29!

Tour of the Holy Land Pt I

Lots of pics tonight. We left Beruit and headed south through Israel to Cairo.

1) The preflight lineup at Beruit Intl.
    2) The Sea of Galilee with the Golan Heights (they're more impressive in real life)
    3) The Jordan River flowing south out of the Sea of Galilee
    4) The old city in Jerusalem
    5) Lod airport in Tel Aviv
    6) Gaza

More pics to follow.

Tour of the Holy Land Pt II

And more pics

7) Suez Canal
    8) Cairo approach
    9) Cairo Intl
    10) Cairo Intl

A very good flight with a full crew....

Howdy all,

Just a few photos of last nights flight. Egypt, the land of the Pharoahs, the Nile, and those bad snakes that bit that Queen who ran around with that cat named Mark!

A few more snaps.

-Pre flight Line up in Beirut

-Willy pulling 9Gs on takeoff

-Dead Sea

-Touchdown in Cairo

Wonderful to have Flight 19 crew in action. A few more snaps. (Flying directly from Lebanon to Israel, or from Israel to Egypt, seems to attract attention...and close inspection of cargo. So we opted for a flying tour.)
    -Mike

We left Cairo, swung out over the pyramids and then headed up the Nile to Luxor. Great flight with good company.

There was a telegram waiting for me at Luxor. Seems BOAC wants me to fly for them again. Thinking about it. Sure did like that Speedbird Connie.

:salute:Howdy!

Just a few snaps of the flight from HECA down to HELX. We flew over the Pyramids at Gisa and then on south over the Step, Slope Pyramids, and over two others that I have forgot their names. In my case it's more than a Senior Moment! Hehe!

Howdy again,

We took a side trip over the Temple ruins at Luxor before landing at the airport.. Now on up the Nile into the darkest of Africa, I think. Darn, another Senior Moment.

Got a better deal. Found out about a DC-6 freighter at Abu Simbel and then found some people who had a B-29 that they needed ferried there. So, I flew that ol' Superfortress up the Nile and collected up my DC-6. She's a little rough looking, but mechanically solid.

Hi again,

Just a few photos from last nights flight. Again, we went ape with taking photos. We landed at HEBL (Abu Simbel), and at the east end of the runways is the temple of Ramses with the large figures of him, and a tribute to his wife. This gigantic temple was raised up from it's original position to a higher level in order to save it from the rising water created by the Aswan Dam.

Hi, hehe,

More pictures, I told you we went crazy with the picture taking on this flight. So far, most of our flights in the Near East and North Africa have been uneventfull, by this I mean we haven't had any problems with Achmed and his camel herding crew who smell like &%$#%....! Again, on both post the pictures are out of order

Didn't have time before takeoff to straighten out that DC-6, so I did a quick trade for a DC-7B freighter. A bit more expensive to operate, but hauls more cargo.

We ended up flying to Merowe Sudan (HSMR).

Just a few pictures.

Ran into a little problem with the Customs authorities about some of the cargo I was carrying in the DC-7 and they decided that they'd seize the aircraft and want $1 million to let it go. I think for that kind of money, they can keep it.

Hmm... Trek Lugdienst is looking for a pilot to ferry a Constellation down to Cape Town. I'm seeing more "bidness" opportunities here. Customs usually don't look as hard at an airliner as they do independent cargo haulers. Just hope that my Dutch can pass off as Afrikaans.

We headed east to the Red Sea coast and HSPN. Nice flight over the desert.

Rgr. on the flight over the desert! This is one great big sand box! After landing at Port Sudan I noticed that the three planes almost took up the whole ramp area. The station people were a little unhappy having these big birds in their yard.

We made the Port Sudan airport people happy by leaving to go to Khartoum. We got chased a bit by Herr Achmed in a Bf 109E soon after take off. Fred was hanging out the door with his shotgun, but the miscreant never got into range of that 10 gauge.

Anyways, it was a great flight full of literary discussion...

Hey there, were moving!

Hey, check out these pictures, one show a pretty young thing becking a fond fairwell to us. Another picture show a car, a 35 or 36 ford, shucks, one like that was my first set of wheels! Yep, we were cruising along drinking our coffee when this here ME109E slipped between us and Willy, from our point of view it looked like Olde Herr Achmed was trying to fly right up Willy's six. Old Dudley was cursing up a storm, kept saying we should have brought a fighter bomber instead of this setting duck! I really think he misses firing those twin 50s. Not a bad flight, we did have some throttle problem on approach and landing, but between the three of us we made a landing without tearing the airplane apart, came in a little hot, heated up the brakes to a bright pretty red. Ditto what Willy posted about the conversations. Interesting! So long until tomorrow.

We left Khartoum for Malakal. Nice flight and the farther we flew, the greener the ground became. Sure beats flying over that sand box...

Just a few crazy snapshots of yesterdays flight.

Members who have read this thread: 0