Back home again - with a Purple Heart - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back home again - with a Purple Heart

Sorry to hear about your injury and I hope it heals up well. Hard way to get home.

Fortunately, in my various combat tours I never got blown up....managed to bang myself up other ways, but not through enemy fire.

Anyway, heal up....do some flight simming!
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Cybr, ah man, great to have you back here again. Keep smiling and the positive attitude; goes a long way for healing. A little R&R can go a long way toward energizing and will definitely propel you forward.

Keep the faith and best wishes from here.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    Welcome back! I'll back you on getting 100%. There are some fantastic surgeons that have dedicated themselves to helping guys like you.

My unit made it back without any combat injuries. We were extremely lucky.

We carried two guys one night that had something similar to you happen to them. They ended up with (I think) half a leg between them. I attended fallen comrade ceremonies for 13 people.

The hornets nest has definately been upset. Hopefully, that suffering will pay off.
    I'mfortunae in that on our tour, so far, only minor injuries have been sustained. Some leg shrapnel, one guy broke a jaw and wrist in a roll over.

I hope I never have to attend a fallen comrade ceremony...

Again, thanks everyone for the well-wishes and concern. -salute-

As soon as I get my gaming computer back, Cliffs of Dover is on my buy list.

Wow, Cybr!

Great to see you again, it's been ages. Sorry about them pissing you off like that.

Have one on me, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
    As soon as I get my gaming computer back, Cliffs of Dover is on my buy list.
    If you've got a Steam account, give me your ID and the copy is on me!
    Sabertooth X58 | i7 950 Quad @ 3.07Ghz | 8Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 | 2x GeForce GTS450 1Gb SLI
    Antec 650W PSU | Western Digital 1Tb SATA | Lian Li PC7B Pro II | Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Here is my advice on healing from experience

Take it slow don't push it any harder than what your doctors and therapist tell you and you should do just fine. If you try and do too much too soon it will take you twice as long to heal.

Glad to have you back.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Good to hear your going to be all right Cybr. Your services will not be forgotten.

Cybr, very sorry to hear of your injury. Purple Heart's a pretty medal but comes with a high price tag. My son had a similar close call in Iraq back in 2006. Wired artillery shell in a road culvert, blew up the Humvee he was riding in. Driver was killed by the blast and my son got shrapnel damage to his legs. He was treated at the hospital in Baghdad and went back to his unit. Saw your pics on Flickr, you've still got five good toes sticking out of that cast so I'm sure you'll make a complete recovery. Best wishes and thank you for your service. :USA-flag:

Ridge, it is indeed great to see you on here! Your offer for CoD is FAR too generous, I couldn't possibly alet you do that.

TARPs, of all the ways to get a PH, the way I got mine was infinitely preferable.

Robert and Dave, thank you. I've sprained many an ankle and had my right ACL reconstructed, so I'm "thankfully" prepared for what my recovery should entail.

Dang it Cyber, you didn't listen to us did you? Didn't we say "keep your head down and be safe out there!"? Yes, I think we did! Still you went out and got hurt!

Seriously, glad you are back home and still with us! Welcome back, and get well soon!

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Oh Man...!! Saddened by your injury, Cybr!! Pleased it ain't anything worse....a few degrees of reality, it could have been. I hope you heal up well, enjoy the local food, keep the purple heart on your chest. Damn hard way to earn it.

Glad you're home, take care!!

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Dang it Cyber, you didn't listen to us did you? Didn't we say "keep your head down and be safe out there!"? Yes, I think we did! Still you went out and got hurt!

Seriously, glad you are back home and still with us! Welcome back, and get well soon!

Maybe you should have told him "Head Down & Feet Up!!!".

Cyber, my heart stopped when I read your post, I am glad you are okay. As for the 100% for the ankle, I am sure you are correct as you know your body better than any doctor or nurse. Plus, from your stories, you have sort of been there before.

I would like to see the coin the Canadian General gave you but don't know your flick'r account. Do you know which General it was?

Good luck with the ankle...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glad you're ok Cyber . No one has to tell you I'm sure , to put everything you have into your rehab . No excuse now not to get back into flightsiming . If you run into any snags you certainly know this is the place(SOH) to ask . Great bunch of people here .

Thank you for your service

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    Maybe you should have told him "Head Down & Feet Up!!!".

Cyber, my heart stopped when I read your post, I am glad you are okay. As for the 100% for the ankle, I am sure you are correct as you know your body better than any doctor or nurse. Plus, from your stories, you have sort of been there before.

I would like to see the coin the Canadian General gave you but don't know your flick'r account. Do you know which General it was?

Good luck with the ankle...
    I would post the link, but SOH won't let me paste with my Galaxy Tab. lol

Do a people search on Flickr for CybrSlydr and look towards the end of my Afghanistan 2011 set.

Found it, thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Hey Amigo glad ya made it back in ONE piece! You did what you had to do your mission is accomplished! Proud of ya!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks guys.

I'm glad to be back. But... There is a part of me that feels this was a cheap way of getting the medal. It's a broken ankle, somethimg you could do falling down the stairs, It's not like I took a bullet.

Granted, a broken ankle is infinitely preferable to losing a limb or getting punctured.

Quote Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
    I'm glad to be back. But... There is a part of me that feels this was a cheap way of getting the medal. It's a broken ankle, something you could do falling down the stairs, It's not like I took a bullet.
    Don't even think that way, Cybr. You sustained the broken ankle during somebody's unsuccessful attempt to KILL YOU and your fellow soldiers. Better timing or better placement of the IED and you all could've bought the farm. Gaping wounds and missing parts are not required for the Purple Heart, you earned yours as much as any other combat-injured soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Don't even think that way, Cybr. You sustained the broken ankle during somebody's unsuccessful attempt to KILL YOU and your fellow soldiers. Better timing or better placement of the IED and you all could've bought the farm. Gaping wounds and missing parts are not required for the Purple Heart, you earned yours as much as any other combat-injured soldier.
    Couldn't have said it better! You earned that PH, don't ever think different!

Welcome home brother Cyber!

I hope the WTC at Fort Hood is as good as the one at Fort Lewis and that you make a full recovery.

Keep the faith.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Thank goodness for the V-hull in those vehicles! Sorry to hear of your injuries, but in less well protected vehicles... well...

Welcome home and a big thank you for your service.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Jagd, everyon I've talked to says the WTB at Hood is the best of the best. Impressed with them thus far.

V-hull indeed. Truck is complete toast, but we're all fine.

"I'm glad to be back. But... There is a part of me that feels this was a cheap way of getting the medal. It's a broken ankle, something you could do falling down the stairs, It's not like I took a bullet."

It would seem to me that in many places bullets seem to be "old school". Your ankle got broken when someone tried to kill you using something else.

I so wish that I could personally shake your hand and say "Thank You" for your service to our country, but I will go with this here... :salute: :USA-flag:

You have my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
    Regards,
    Robert

Reply...

Cybr,

Many thanks from another American who is grateful every day for all soldiers who put their lives on the line around the world. While I am saddened by your injuries, I am overjoyed you should (hopefully) make a full recovery. Any accolades you receive for your circumstances is well deserved, whether you "took a bullet" or not! :salute:

Thanks again, :USA-flag:
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb