Back home again - with a Purple Heart
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back home again - with a Purple Heart

Back home again - with a Purple Heart

I apologize for not posting in a while, but my tour in Afghanistan is over! Unfortunately, I had to get blown up to come home this soon. :

Back on July 18th, we were coming back to the COP after a few days out on rotation clearing out an enemy hotspot. Our 18ton MaxxPro was busted up pretty badly. Squad leader told me that it was 120lbs of home made explosives in 2 jugs. Command wire detonated, so someone watched us and pushed the button. It moved our truck 20 feet and knocked it on it's right side. Pretty much obliterated everything on theleft side of the trck. Bags and axles/tires were found up to 300m away from the truck.

Thankfully, I was the worst hurt and I receieved a pilon fracture of my left ankle. The doctor told me post-op that it was much worse once he got it open and started. He used the word "pulverised" to describe my ankle. lol

I've been given a few coins in my travels from various people, including a Canadian General, Army LTG and Air Force Command Chief Master Sergeant. My Purple Heart was awarded in Afghanistan before they sent me to Landshtul Germany.

I'm currently at Fort Hood, recovering. They say I have a 50/50 chance of regaining full motion with my ankle but I know I'm going to make it 100%. Recovery time is 4-6 months, 3-4 months in cast with no weight bearing.

So, that's my update. Hope to stop by more often - check my Flickr account for pics of my casr, coins and medal - and a few mug shots. lol

As a point of reference, if you use a 155mm howitzer shell as an IED, it leaves a crater big enough to hide an Abrams tank in - and 155mm shells only have 100ish lbs of explosives.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Good luck with your recovery Cybr, sounds like it could have been much worse than 'just' a pulverised ankle!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Charter Member 2011
    blooming heck Cybr big bang indeed, dread to think what a bang like that woulda done a humvee.

btw if your foot is to badly "pulverised" you can alway do what my great great great uncle did when his toes got badly done over by frostbite, have it off, then bet people you can take a weight of *insert heavy vechile of choice* without crying out and earn a small fortune
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

It would have obliterated a Humvee.

As for the amputation, I like my foot where it is.

Also, it's my ankle that is broken, not my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Good luck with your recovery Cybr, sounds like it could have been much worse than 'just' a pulverised ankle!
    Indeed. The trucks we use are amazing in how well they protect the occupants. We were very lucky.

I'm glad to hear it was "only" your ankle that got pulverized! You were extremely lucky.

Thanks for your service, and welcome to the DDFE* club...

* Didn't Duck Fast Enough
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Blog Entries
    I was at ft hood once, when you get feeling better look up stillhouse lake it use to be a great party place.
    Look What I Have Become!

Get 100% real soon-I will be praying for a complete recovery,Cybr!!

Welcome home and thank you for your service to our Country!

:salute::salute:

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    I was at ft hood once, when you get feeling better look up stillhouse lake it use to be a great party place.
    Good stuff Ickie, thanks. Dunno how much they'll let me out.

Thanks papab and n4gix.

Retired SOH Administrator

Icon5 Congratulations!

Congratulations, sir Jordan!

Welcome home and quick recovery for you!

Thank you!

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Welcome Home Cybr, sorry it took a BOOM! to get you back! Rest up, get well, and thank you for your service!

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Cybr
    Glad to hear you are back home safe....sorry to hear about the ankle. Get rested up buddy and dont be a stranger.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Re: Back home again-with a Purple Heart

You should've got more than a Purple Heart! Anyway glad your Back.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    As we would have said in my Day, Welcome back to the World..
    Bravo, I am grateful for your service..
    I hope you heal quickly, and that all will be wonderful for you..
    God Bless ya..
    :salute: :salute: :salute:

Glad you're safe and no amputation Cybr!
    I'm currently watching a Top Gear special with a team of Brit amputees from Afghanistan doing some great off-road racing. I salute all allied forces personnel who risk life and limb for democracy.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Thank you for your service. Welcome home!

Dick

oh man..well sorry this had to happen to you..glad you have your life let alone your foot....will this be the end of your military time then? or will you recover and stay in?

Cybr

Welcome home. Wish it were under better circumstances, but you came home alive and pretty much intact...so thank God for that.

Thank you for your service and your time in a hostile zone. Wish I could be there in person to shake your hand and salute you (I know it is only legal to salute officers, but I salute each and every combat vet I encounter...you all deserve that level of respect in my book).

Will pray that you have a fast and complete recovery and will continue to pray for the men and women, regardless of nationality, who are manning the front lines and actively fighting terrorism around the globe.

My nephew Donnie spent 17 months in Iraq with one of the Mountain Divisions (4th or 10th...was stationed at Fort Drum before and after his deployment). After coming home from Iraq, he completed Air Assault school and looked real good with those black wings on his chest.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the well wishes and support, everyone.

Dave, it all depends on how much use I regain of my ankle. I'm confidant that I'll make it back to full strenght.

Obio, he must have been with the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Brigade with the 10th Mountain as 4th brigade, of which I'm a part, is at Fort Polk, not Drum. 17 months is a long time - I was only there for 6 months and that was plenty long!

I never got to serve withany British soldiers, Roger, but I served with some Czech Rep. Airborne troops and they were AWESOME! Hardcore and badass - I think they were all 6+ Ft tall and built.

Welcome back! I'll back you on getting 100%. There are some fantastic surgeons that have dedicated themselves to helping guys like you.

My unit made it back without any combat injuries. We were extremely lucky.

We carried two guys one night that had something similar to you happen to them. They ended up with (I think) half a leg between them. I attended fallen comrade ceremonies for 13 people.

The hornets nest has definately been upset. Hopefully, that suffering will pay off.

Sorry to hear of your injury Cybr. Thank God it wasn't any worse, even tho it's bad enough..... At least yer in one piece and still among the living. Thanks for your service, and get back to 100% asap.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Cybr, despite the circumstances, it is great to hear you are alright! Thank you for checking in and letting us know.
    I am hopeful that your recovery will be a most successful one, and I believe your great attitude on it all will ensure that it happens!

I can't thank you enough for your service to our country!
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Members who have read this thread: 0