SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 97
Page 97 of 119 FirstFirst ... 47878990919293949596979899100101102103104105107 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 2967

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Thank you Duckie; I will take me one of them blue boys :-) Beautiful work, again!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Hey Milton, that worked like a champ! I never noticed the "Select item..." commands before you posted that screenshot. I left "Shift+E" in the "Select exit" command and entered "2" in the "Select Item 2" command and I was good to go. Voila, bomb doors pop right open. Thanks again for your help.
    That's great news, TARPS! Glad you got it worked out.

----------------------------------------------------
    " Today, 00:56Milton Shupe
    I understand your frustration. Here is what I do to get around the key sequence issue.
    I just assign the select item 2 to a different key sequence to avoid the delay."
    ----------------------------------------------------

Milton thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely set up that alternate in my key file. :salute::salute:

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    I see the Dutch navy returned the rear part of the rudder.

Thanks very much Steve for another masterpiece!

Cheers,
    Maarten
    --Unlike my brother who still has my hedge clippers he borrowed last summer!!

You're welcome Maarten. Glad you like it. :salute:

--Thank you Milton. And thanks for the great mapping job. Makes painting the "Grumman 7" a real pleasure. :salute:

Steve
    Duckie

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    SSI01, when you have a spare moment please do me a favor and check your S2F-3 and see what happens when you hit Shift+E+2.
    Shift+e = main exit door + ladder deploy/retract (rather smartly, too)
    Shift+e+2 = nothing
    Concord nose visor button on joystick = MAD boom + belly radome + pole antenna on underside extend/retract

Here's a photo of the aircraft I used:
    Attachment 70045

BTW I don't have a texture for the belly radome on my S2F-1, it's plain dark grey.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Guess it would help if a 2nd exit were listed in the config file - now no problems w/shift+e+2.

I have noted something else peculiar, though -

I can press shift+e and the main exit opens/closes; I can also press shift+e+1 and the same main exit opens/closes. Is there possibly some ramification of this that is confusing the TF-104s re: which canopy to open when shift+e+2 is pressed?

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Guess it would help if a 2nd exit were listed in the config file - now no problems w/shift+e+2.

I have noted something else peculiar, though -

I can press shift+e and the main exit opens/closes; I can also press shift+e+1 and the same main exit opens/closes. Is there possibly some ramification of this that is confusing the TF-104s re: which canopy to open when shift+e+2 is pressed?

Shift+e is the same as shift+e, 1.

Shift+e, 2 say select item 2. (you must release shift+e, before hitting 2)

You can help yourself fight the MSFS issue but reassigning the key sequence so it does not depend on the pause between shift_+e and 2. If any event (like a streaming controller not quite centered, or toe brakes held on, or any repeat event) interrupts the pause between shift+e and pressing the 2, it will not work.

It is best to reprogram that key sequence as I posted above on previous page.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

BTW I don't have a texture for the belly radome on my S2F-1, it's plain dark grey.
    Hi SSI01, which S2F-1 are you referring to? If it is the Dark Sea Blue VS-36 version, the radome was "unpainted" or with a sealant which allowed the natural color of the Fiberglas housing to show. It is the same color as the AEW radar housing atop the fuselage aft of the cockpit. This was true with many of the earlier -1s. Some were later painted to match the DSB color when they went through depot maintenance. So, "grayish brown" is the correct color for this model.

Note: my latest repaint of a VS-20 Stoof is that same color radome, which according to photographs is also correct.

Regards,

Steve
    Duckie

GRUMMAN S-2F1 PORT WING LIGHT?

Milton,

Love your Grumman 'Stoofs'. Have noticed on your recent S-2F1 model that there appears to be a clear area on the leading edge of the port wing that looks very much like a wing-light cover. No lights appear from this area. Perhaps it forms some other function?

Rgds
    and thanks again
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by vonernsk View Post
    Milton,

Love your Grumman 'Stoofs'. Have noticed on your recent S-2F1 model that there appears to be a clear area on the leading edge of the port wing that looks very much like a wing-light cover. No lights appear from this area. Perhaps it forms some other function?

Rgds
    and thanks again
    Mal
    Interesting question. After looking through many pictures and drawings, I finally found the answer. It's actually quite embarrassing at this point. :-)

Unfortunately, my 3-view drawings did not show this light and only 3-4 pictures I have show it with any clarity. My apologies.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Amazing, hadn't heard of that earlier. If I run into a friend who was a LSO, will ask him about it!

T

Quote Originally Posted by vonernsk View Post
    Milton,

Rgds
    and thanks again
    Mal
    Hello Mal, if I may, I'll respond to your question. With regard to the E-1 Tracer and the S2F-1 Tracker, which are the ones I provide the original textures for, the lens to which you refer is "painted" on. It appears on all variants and I have seen it identified as a landing light, as well as signal lights. I have a close up of a CS2F lens which appears to have three lights under the lens.

Anyway, my reasoning for including the lens was that anyone who wanted could add a light(s) at this location if they chose to. And, even if no light is added, the lens gives the correct appearance for the model.

Regards,

Steve

Edit: Milton was just too quick!
    Duckie

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Shift+e is the same as shift+e, 1.

Shift+e, 2 say select item 2. (you must release shift+e, before hitting 2)

You can help yourself fight the MSFS issue but reassigning the key sequence so it does not depend on the pause between shift_+e and 2. If any event (like a streaming controller not quite centered, or toe brakes held on, or any repeat event) interrupts the pause between shift+e and pressing the 2, it will not work.

It is best to reprogram that key sequence as I posted above on previous page.

OK Milton, will pick a single key rather than a combo to assign to second event. Problem, a minor one to be sure, will be to remember that single key when I want to open the subpanels for some aircrafts' main panels.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Hi SSI01, which S2F-1 are you referring to? If it is the Dark Sea Blue VS-36 version, the radome was "unpainted" or with a sealant which allowed the natural color of the Fiberglas housing to show. It is the same color as the AEW radar housing atop the fuselage aft of the cockpit. This was true with many of the earlier -1s. Some were later painted to match the DSB color when they went through depot maintenance. So, "grayish brown" is the correct color for this model.

Note: my latest repaint of a VS-20 Stoof is that same color radome, which according to photographs is also correct.

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks, I already found the VS-20 scheme and am fixing to install it shortly. Will use the radome texture from it in the VS-36 one.

Question - obviously, S2F-1s had the football above the cockpit, S2F-3s didn't - what was the purpose of that upper radome? Was it for air search in front of the aircraft, the lower radome being for surface search?

Thanks, I already found the VS-20 scheme and am fixing to install it shortly. Will use the radome texture from it in the VS-36 one.

Question - obviously, S2F-1s had the football above the cockpit, S2F-3s didn't - what was the purpose of that upper radome? Was it for air search in front of the aircraft, the lower radome being for surface search?
    Your last question contains the answer to your first question! ;-)

Btw, the VS-20 radome is the same as the VS-36.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Duckie

GRUMMAN S-2F1 APPROACH LIGHTS

Milton and Steve,

Thanks very much for your quick replies. Milton, as usual, has killed the question dead with his attachment. Steve, thanks for including the lights cover and giving us the option to utilise or not.

I have seen fixtures similar to the 'Stoof's' on other USN a/c, the Skyhawk and Phantom spring to mind. What an aid to the stressed out LSO on a heaving slippery deck, blackout conditions and a queue of low-fuel a/c landing on! Quick confirmation of good gear, hook and approach angle.

Love trapping with the Stoof. The flt model is great. Steve, your latest skin for VS-20 is superb.

Again many thanks

Mal

The USN has used approach lights on aircraft since at least WWII, I know Corsairs had them beginning with the F4U-1. As far as I know, the basic operation is always the same and the LSO would see red if the aircraft was too low, yellow if too high and green if it was on the glide slope.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

VS-20: another home-run, Duckie! Thank you. :salute:

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Mention was made a short time ago by someone on this forum about no weapons being available for drop from either S2F - wasn't there an option available for use on the KBT P-3 that allowed an airborne torp drop from the aircraft? If so, could that be adapted to this aircraft? (without doing anything improper, of course).

EDIT: file name "p-3ctorp.zip" at FlightSim.

Mention was made a short time ago by someone on this forum about no weapons being available for drop from either S2F - wasn't there an option available for use on the KBT P-3 that allowed an airborne torp drop from the aircraft? If so, could that be adapted to this aircraft? (without doing anything improper, of course).
    EDIT: file name "p-3ctorp.zip" at FlightSim.
    Way back when David and I modeled the Martin T4M Torpedo Truck we had a launchable torpedo. It worked the same way as those jets (can't recall which planes, but there were at least two of them) that allowed you to blow the canopy and eject the pilot.

The torpedo or the pilot didn't really drop to the ground. In fact, they really didn't leave the aircraft. They were retractable items attached by invisible struts that were so long, you wouldn't notice the items tagging along far below the plane. When you toggled the release switch they would reverse their "drop" and return to the plane. That part didn't look realistic, of course, but you didn't have to watch.

The sound set can include appropriate sounds. When you launch the torpedo from the T4M you hear the clunk of the rack releasing the fish, then you hear the splash of the fish hitting the water. On those jets, you heard the canopy coming off and the seat firing.

Since David was the 3D guy for our planes, I can't tell you the mechanics of setting it up. I just know it can be done. Whether it can be done with a reasonable amount of work to a model that's already finished is another question.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I have that Torpedo Truck in my hangar - I'll have a look at what you were describing.

After making that input yesterday, I revisited the torpedo launch animation and was struck by the supersonic torpedoes that are contained therein. By that I mean if you launch them at the recommended 1,500 foot height, they release from the aircraft (as a pair) then race ahead of the aircraft in a downward arc, entering the water a good half-mile in front of the aircraft. Lowering the release altitude to about 150 feet helps a lot - at least they enter the water just about below the aircraft - and there is a pretty good detonation a short time after. I tried to keep launch speed fairly low - about 130KIAS.

A shame it was not in the game plan for the MS fltsim geeks to include the object attachment capability from CFS2 in FS9. All this stuff like torpedoes, drop tanks, cargo pallets, skydivers, etc. would have been so much easier instead of having to use animation tricks.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted the "removed comment" in the wrong thread. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

... By that I mean if you launch them at the recommended 1,500 foot height, they release from the aircraft (as a pair) then race ahead of the aircraft in a downward arc, entering the water a good half-mile in front of the aircraft. Lowering the release altitude to about 150 feet helps a lot...
    Oops! We must've had a typo in the recommended release altitude! In fact the aerial version of the Mk.14 torpedo had to be launched at around 100 feet, not much higher, or it wouldn't survive the drop!

Of course, if you launched it properly and hit the target it typically wouldn't explode anyway, but the Navy didn't figure that out until well into WW2.

Anyway, the idea with the T4M was that if you launched at around 100 or 150 feet, the torpedo would drop below the surface of the water and disappear. We never thought about or tested at higher altitudes, so never noticed how the fish swings way forward of the plane. We did, in fact, make a point of being sure that from the proper height it would hit the water below and slightly behind the plane. And we avoided the temptation to have a wake and a visible explosion ahead of the plane, since an airplane, even a clunker like the T4M, is faster than a torpedo.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    No sweat. You know more about it than I, but I suspect we may be talking about two different torps here. The KBT torp, for use w/the P-3, is a modern airborne torpedo, grey in color, that sometimes launches singly, and sometimes in pairs (unpredictable); it comes out so incredibly fast it's hard to make out details except for the color. I can tell you it points straight down, not at an angle. It does fly (fast!) in a forward arc in front of the aircraft - nose down - to the water. The KBT torp's recommended launch height is indeed 1,500 feet (also described as the standard patrol altitude for the P-3), which I don't understand; that's a terrifically high altitude at which to launch a torpedo, you'd think you'd launch it while you're down low following your last MAD pass. For this thing to take off at the speed it does after dropping from 1500, it must be rocket-assisted.

PS - I know those jets - they're Canberras - I've got them in the hangar.

If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct this if I am, modern torpedoes are equipped with small parachutes to slow and stabilize them as they drop. You can see this when the Soviets drop one in the movie "Hunt For Red October".

Members who have read this thread: 131