SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 40
Page 40 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3032333435363738394041424344454647485090 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2967

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Splendid progress TG, this is a 'must have' for me when you're finished.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries

One done... if you approve...

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Oh my ... I look around here and I am surrounded by all means of talented people ... and I wonder, what happened to me!

Caro Milt,

I am almost done with the floor and ceiling... but I got side-tracked and fascinated by the lavatory and its possibilities,
    that I HAD to get that texture done rightaway...
    If you think it is OK for use... I got the original in bmp format and ready to email it to you... To wit:

Attachment 50913

Just say the word and I'll email it

OOps... in the excitement , just noticed it is NOT finished yet... hahaha... got to do rest of the stuff on the door... doorknob and stenciling
    At any rate... if you approve... I can do these two details in a jiffy...

Blog Entries

Corrected and ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Caro Milt,

I am almost done with the floor and ceiling... but I got side-tracked and fascinated by the lavatory and its possibilities,
    that I HAD to get that texture done rightaway...
    If you think it is OK for use... I got the original in bmp format and ready to email it to you... To wit:

Attachment 50913

Just say the word and I'll email it

OOps... in the excitement , just noticed it is NOT finished yet... hahaha... got to do rest of the stuff on the door... doorknob and stenciling
    At any rate... if you approve... I can do these two details in a jiffy...
    Here is the final do...

Attachment 50915

That's a beautiful graphic Gaucho. You are very talented indeed.

I didn't map the lav door as I used a picture for the texture but I will try to make it work to better blend with the side walls, floor and ceiling.

How are those textures coming? I do look forward to receiving all of them.

BTW, I do not see a slot to insert a quarter.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    I didn't map the lav door as I used a picture for the texture but I will try to make it work to better blend with the side walls, floor and ceiling.
    Yeah, I found that out while working on the 1820 sounds...

...I had to make use of 'the facilities' more than once, but once in, I found no way out, just some wierd exit named YROTAVAL so I thought; Wow!...Milton's even given us a VIP exit for our arrivals in Bosnia...or is it Greece?

So I openned it, and there I was...left standing outside the loo again de ja vu...bit like Alice Through the Looking Glass...

Yeah, okay, okay; and me; The Mad Hatter!

edit: Tom, traveller's guide advises taking your own paper! Ryan Air sort of stuff...

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries

Hey there!

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Yeah, I found that out while working on the 1820 sounds...

...I had to make use of 'the facilities' more than once, but once in, I found no way out, just some wierd exit named YROTAVAL so I thought; Wow!...Milton's even given us a VIP exit for our arrivals in Bosnia...or is it Greece?

So I openned it, and there I was...left standing outside the loo again de ja vu...bit like Alice Through the Looking Glass...

Yeah, okay, okay; and me; The Mad Hatter!

edit: Tom, traveller's guide advises taking your own paper! Ryan Air sort of stuff...
    Hi Nigel,

Although I have not entertained any dialog with you... but we are both helping Milt...
    Whereabouts are you in Greece? I am going to travel to Ciprus, Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt
    and plan to stay a couple of nights at the Interconti in Athens, if you live in Athens or Glifada
    we might chance meeting... and shooting the breeze in person...
    I am impressed with your technical savvy and could use a tip or two...

Blog Entries

A lot of the time I live here nowdays...home, sweet home

Hi Nigel,

Although I have not entertained any dialog with you... but we are both helping Milt...
    Whereabouts are you in Greece? I am going to travel to Ciprus, Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt
    and plan to stay a couple of nights at the Interconti in Athens, if you live in Athens or Glifada
    we might chance meeting... and shooting the breeze in person...
    I am impressed with your technical savvy and could use a tip or two...
    Hi Gaucho,

It's a pleasure to be working with you on Milton's project.

Its also a pleasure to have someone consider talking with me. Everyone else has given up trying to get any sense out of me.

That is apart from Matt Wynn...but he's nearing borderline case too!
    I sometimes feel like the deceased commander in the 'Dark Star' movie (They often 'revived' him for information, then pulled the plug and left the poor guy murmuring to himself).

Milton by far is the wisest in this respect;

He knows I can't resist engines, so to keep me quiet (and get some hush), he simply dreams up the most demanding project he can think of, casts the tackle in my general direction then Bam! I'm hooked and he gets another 3 months peace.

I'm dreading the day when he comes up with the idea of a thermal soarer...the silence would have me well and truly stumped in getting the sounds 'just right'.

Are you still here G?

Well as you ask, I'm up in the 'sticks' in Northern Greece (Halkidiki) Dances with Wolves kinda stuff (okay, okay Milton. No video clips... this time).

It would be great to shoot the breeze in person, maybe we'll get the chance sometime.

Technical savvy? There are many well informed folk here who can run circles around me...I just try to be helpful as per instructions.

Look forward to meeting you someday and working together on many more future projects such as this.

Best Regards
    Nigel

edit: Oooh shucks, what the heck. Its Sunday and everyones watchin' TV anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa09Z...eature=related

...phenomenology; makes better viewing than most of the 'dog's do' they're churning out these days.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Question

Does anyone know the font used for the letters "JM" on the tail? It's NOT the standard Navy "long beach" font. Letters are too strenghed and the letter "M" is completely different.

Blog Entries

Font

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post

Does anyone know the font used for the letters "JM" on the tail? It's NOT the standard Navy "long beach" font. Letters are too strenghed and the letter "M" is completely different.
    If you are referring to the stencil or decal markings...
    By the time of this picture... the services were using giant , self adherence "decalcomia" [(decals)... as opposed to the hand painting with stencils
    and forms used back in WW2 and Korea (using graph like paper to construct the letters by hand or airspray]...
    However... many squadrons and ships produced their own... with variations in "font" (acually, this word font is a product of the computer age...
    they used to be called type or typeset styles (from the linotype font styles used in newspaper production)... At any rate, sometimes, each painter sort of interpreted the AF tech manuals or Army ARs
    to produce their own version...
    Obviously, the markings on this bird do not strictly adhere to the regulation markings... (they are elongated and narrowed...and of a non-descript "typeset")...
    And here we come to one of my pet peeves...and the meat of my modest advise....
    A lot of virtual modellers use comercial or ready-made computer "fonts" (especially europeans) that have arabic "ones"... instead of the standard "bar ones" that
    all US services used at one time (except some recent USCG and USAF products that use computer rendered giant decals in an Arial or like font... with those arabic "ones" [I've seen some in Orions and C-130s at Barbers Point in
    Hawaii back when...] But the use of the same on vintage aircraf detracts somehow from some beautifully rendered craft... for they are anachronistic...
    So now then.. we call ourself repainters... right? Well, the markings on an aircraft are part of the repaint too... whenever possible one should try to reproduce the original paint job...
    and military markings are very easy to produce by hand...
    To wit,

Attachment 50950

this is the type used by the original squadron painters in the picture... If you can repaint the aircraft... why not do the markings by hand also... food for thought...
    If interested... I think I alreay posted a tutorial on this type of production...
    I don't think you are going to find a ready made "font" that closely ressembles the picture... but as you see... it is easy to reproduce...(I did it on the fly right now....
    [You do need a respectable painting tool such as Photoshop or late vintage PSP though...)

Blog Entries

addendum

If you are referring to the stencil or decal markings...
    By the time of this picture... the services were using giant , self adherence "decalcomia" [(decals)... as opposed to the hand painting with stencils
    and forms used back in WW2 and Korea (using graph like paper to construct the letters by hand or airspray]...
    However... many squadrons and ships produced their own... with variations in "font" (acually, this word font is a product of the computer age...
    they used to be called type or typeset styles (from the linotype font styles used in newspaper production)... At any rate, sometimes, each painter sort of interpreted the AF tech manuals or Army ARs
    to produce their own version...
    Obviously, the markings on this bird do not strictly adhere to the regulation markings... (they are elongated and narrowed...and of a non-descript "typeset")...
    And here we come to one of my pet peeves...and the meat of my modest advise....
    A lot of virtual modellers use comercial or ready-made computer "fonts" (especially europeans) that have arabic "ones"... instead of the standard "bar ones" that
    all US services used at one time (except some recent USCG and USAF products that use computer rendered giant decals in an Arial or like font... with those arabic "ones" [I've seen some in Orions and C-130s at Barbers Point in
    Hawaii back when...] But the use of the same on vintage aircraf detracts somehow from some beautifully rendered craft... for they are anachronistic...
    So now then.. we call ourself repainters... right? Well, the markings on an aircraft are part of the repaint too... whenever possible one should try to reproduce the original paint job...
    and military markings are very easy to produce by hand...
    To wit,

Attachment 50950

this is the type used by the original squadron painters in the picture... If you can repaint the aircraft... why not do the markings by hand also... food for thought...
    If interested... I think I alreay posted a tutorial on this type of production...
    I don't think you are going to find a ready made "font" that closely ressembles the picture... but as you see... it is easy to reproduce...(I did it on the fly right now....
    [You do need a respectable painting tool such as Photoshop or late vintage PSP though...)
    You need to click on the jpg to see the original I just created... the little one looks wrong... but it is not in the original

Blog Entries

Another interior done... if you approve

That's a beautiful graphic Gaucho. You are very talented indeed.

How are those textures coming? I do look forward to receiving all of them.

BTW, I do not see a slot to insert a quarter.
    I got it in bmp format and ready to "ship"
    Make any pertinent suggestions... or changes...
    try it out on the bird and see if it works ok

Attachment 50955

I got it in bmp format and ready to "ship"
    Make any pertinent suggestions... or changes...
    try it out on the bird and see if it works ok

Attachment 50955
    Thanks Gaucho_59. Send the bmp along in eithe 2048 or 1024 and I will test it out. Looks great to me.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries

Coming along...

Thanks Gaucho_59. Send the bmp along in eithe 2048 or 1024 and I will test it out. Looks great to me.
    This interior texture just tentatively finished... for testing... will send both bmp textures ASAP

Attachment 50957

Blog Entries

glitch

I got the glitch... I mistakenly transposed the ceiling and the decking... should be no problem to fix...
    will get cracking on it day after tomorrow... got some business to transact in Palm Springs on Monday... and tonite I got to take the wife out...
    otherwise she'll divorce me...hahaha

Finishing off Ryan Air Attack with Tanker 73

Attachment 50965
    TG, that is looking awesome! Great scheme!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I got the glitch... I mistakenly transposed the ceiling and the decking... should be no problem to fix...
    will get cracking on it day after tomorrow... got some business to transact in Palm Springs on Monday... and tonite I got to take the wife out...
    otherwise she'll divorce me...hahaha
    Great! No problem time-wise. Thanks

Invested most of today working on windscreen wipers for the C-1A. Stuff like this eats up the hours.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hemet Ryan Air Attack Base in Hemet, CA home to Tanker 72, Tanker 73, Air Attack 310, and Helitack 301
    Attachment 50977Attachment 50978

Hemet Ryan Air Attack Base in Hemet, CA home to Tanker 72, Tanker 73, Air Attack 310, and Helitack 301
    Hey, that's pretty cool TG
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Ah yes Hemet...one of my regular short flights for a nice lunch. The proprietor of the cafe is growing fruits for her pies in her own garden....and the pies are to die for good.
    Just make sure you get there before 1300 on a Saturday or you are likely out of luck. But the rest of the food is equally good.

Cheers
    Stefan

Hey, that's pretty cool TG
    Indeed.
    This is a great project!
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Blog Entries
    Very industrious indeed TG!

I'm already greatly indebted to you for all your valuable assistance with getting the sounds off the ground.
    If you should find the time, once this show's on the road, to pass on a copy of this fine scenery, it would find a welcome home!

...after all the video's of Hemet, it feels I know the place.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Indeed followed you advise and repainted it myselve, results is below:

@Milton: Great work on the wipers, highly appreciated that you were willing to add those at my request!

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post

Everyone else has given up trying to get any sense out of me.
    Hey, Nigel, don't put yourself down so much! You are a breath of fresh air on this forum, even though I do have trouble understanding some of your posts...:-)
    I'm really looking forward to this finished product. Just a shame that I haven't got the skills of you guys!
    You are all doing a fantastic job with so much commitment!
    I know you are busy on this at the moment, but did you actually get started on the Napier Sabre sounds?

Thumbs Up, Stuart

ok guys... another little teaser, showing some of the weathering, and no honestly... i wasn't scaring the groundcrews again.... only really stencilling left now....