SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 20
Page 20 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161718192021222324252627283070 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Ive been trying to find cockpit photos but they are very elusive! I did however come across this great picture of the hardpoints if your still modeling them

Attachment 48884

Cant find any real pictures came across this drawing, apparently the -3 did have the newer control sticks. heres a link with some great info http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=i2Xw7qgEbdn
    Attachment 48885Attachment 48886

Megadog

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I am ready to model the pedestal yoke for the S2F-3.

I have two pictures only and the yoke looks like this.

Is this the correct yoke for this aircraft?

Milt,

This is the yoke we had in th Willy Fudd and i think was in the S-2E.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Ive been trying to find cockpit photos but they are very elusive! I did however come across this great picture of the hardpoints if your still modeling them

Attachment 48884
    Thanks TG. I have modeled them and they are the same shape. The drawings had them setting back about 4-6" farther than your picture shows, about 4" behind the deicing boot. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Cant find any real pictures came across this drawing, apparently the -3 did have the newer control sticks. heres a link with some great info http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=i2Xw7qgEbdn
    Attachment 48885Attachment 48886
    Thanks TG; looks to be the same as the pic I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
    Milt,

This is the yoke we had in th Willy Fudd and i think was in the S-2E.

Bob
    Thanks Bob; that seals it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Some reference for the cockpit

Blog Entries
    Uncle Milton,

We have photo material for CalFire's S2T, I can send them your way if you want them:ernae:

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    Uncle Milton,

We have photo material for CalFire's S2T, I can send them your way if you want them:ernae:
    After the S2F-3, I will do the S2T and C1A so you can upload or send via Email as you wish.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

S2F-3 Exterior Modeling Near Complete

Just finished up mapping for the S2F-3. I have a few more things to do inside before sending to the paint shop.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

S2F-3 Questions for You

Do we need sonobouys in the nacelles, or should be have empty nacelles? 600 polys each set = 1200 polys

Do we need a torpedo or bomb in the bomb bay, and rockets on the hardpoints?

Do we need the MADboom and radome animated? Can they be animated together? Does the folding antenna on the belly work in concert with the radome and MAD Boom?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Speaking for myself, I believe animated MAD boom & "dustbin" radar are essential to a realistic mission profile.

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Thanks Hawkeye52. Just curious about the story or reason behind the "dustbin" tag.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries

Dustbin...

Thanks Hawkeye52. Just curious about the story or reason behind the "dustbin" tag.
    The "nomignolo" (nickname) "dustbin"... was, I believe, first used to describe the ventral gondola descending from the fuselage of the Ju 52 where a machinegunner had its perch...
    Reggia Aeronautica volunteers in Spain during the Civil War dubbed it "patumiera" - dustbin or rubish bin -
    To wit: "The Junkers Ju 52 was originally designed and produced as a single-engine civil ... defended by machine guns in the dorsal position and a retractable "dust bin" ... The Ju 52/3m6e variant also had an enclosed gun mount above the cockpit. ... etc."

Many US aeronautical books refer to it the same way... "dustbin" would be interesting to research what name the Germans used for that gun position...
    At any rate... the descent from the fuselage in the same way most probably earned the radome its nicknamed...

Blog Entries

Dustbin addendum

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    The "nomignolo" (nickname) "dustbin"... was, I believe, first used to describe the ventral gondola descending from the fuselage of the Ju 52 where a machinegunner had its perch...
    Reggia Aeronautica volunteers in Spain during the Civil War dubbed it "patumiera" - dustbin or rubish bin -
    To wit: "The Junkers Ju 52 was originally designed and produced as a single-engine civil ... defended by machine guns in the dorsal position and a retractable "dust bin" ... The Ju 52/3m6e variant also had an enclosed gun mount above the cockpit. ... etc."

Many US aeronautical books refer to it the same way... "dustbin" would be interesting to research what name the Germans used for that gun position...
    At any rate... the descent from the fuselage in the same way most probably earned the radome its nicknamed...

Attachment 48904 The enclosed pic shows the 'dustbin' in action....

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Goes back further than that. The HP Heyfords venteral gunnners position was described as a dustbin. I usually only hear dustbin from commonwealth types and pommies. From the resemblance to a dustbin, kant for a trash can, taken away by a dustman; they seemed to have a lot of dust. probably because they heated homes and cooled beer with coal till last year. Which explains cold homes and warm beer. U'all S Navy types tended to refer to retractable radomes (and dipping transducers) as 'domes' back in the mob days.
    Shes going to be a fine Stoof.

SOH-CM-2020
    Do we need sonobouys in the nacelles, or should be have empty nacelles? 600 polys each set = 1200 polys

Do we need a torpedo or bomb in the bomb bay, and rockets on the hardpoints?

Do we need the MADboom and radome animated? Can they be animated together? Does the folding antenna on the belly work in concert with the radome and MAD Boom?

WOW Milton

The progress is outstanding , nearly 20,000 views and almost 500 replies , you've certainly got our attention.

As for the refinements , my surplus Grumman's going to be used for freight runs, so the extra's won't be needed.

Although the odd rocket could be useful for clearing the odd strip of unwanted foliage

Thanks for sharing the updates and keeping us on the edge of our seats.

Pete.

I'd say...

....the following regarding the armament:

- I would not have sonobuoys loaded
    - I would animate the radome and MAD boom
    - And most of all, I would not have underwing stores

After all, FS9/FSX is not a "shoot em up", and the vast number of pics do not reflect loaded hardpoints

Just my .02 cents.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Goes back further than that. The HP Heyfords venteral gunnners position was described as a dustbin. I usually only hear dustbin from commonwealth types and pommies. From the resemblance to a dustbin, kant for a trash can, taken away by a dustman; they seemed to have a lot of dust. probably because they heated homes and cooled beer with coal till last year. Which explains cold homes and warm beer. U'all S Navy types tended to refer to retractable radomes (and dipping transducers) as 'domes' back in the mob days.
    Shes going to be a fine Stoof.
    LOL Good memories there Lazarus; thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    WOW Milton

The progress is outstanding , nearly 20,000 views and almost 500 replies , you've certainly got our attention.

As for the refinements , my surplus Grumman's going to be used for freight runs, so the extra's won't be needed.

Although the odd rocket could be useful for clearing the odd strip of unwanted foliage

Thanks for sharing the updates and keeping us on the edge of our seats.

Pete.
    LOL Thanks Pete; I appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    ....the following regarding the armament:

- I would not have sonobuoys loaded
    - I would animate the radome and MAD boom
    - And most of all, I would not have underwing stores

After all, FS9/FSX is not a "shoot em up", and the vast number of pics do not reflect loaded hardpoints

Just my .02 cents.

Kent
    Kent, my sentiments as well but I am happy to hear from others. Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi Milton,

For what it's worth: I do agree with Kent.

Every time I see the screenies of the work in progress I'm amazed and speechless.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Hi Milton,

For what it's worth: I do agree with Kent.

Every time I see the screenies of the work in progress I'm amazed and speechless.

Cheers,
    Maarten
    Me three :salute:

Marcel

Well thanks Gentlemen; we appreciate that.

Rather than model the sonobouys or model the holes (which turned out to be more poly expensive than the sonobouys), I decided to map the modeled holes, then project that map on the back of the plain paneled nacelle. That ended up being very inexpensive (just a few polys each side) and the finished look will be great.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I agree with Kent, we do not want underwing stores. I flew both P-2's, and occasionally the S-2. The 5" HVAR rocket was removed from our approved weapons when it was found out that the rockets in inventory had become unstable. I seem to remember that an aircraft was lost due to a premature explosion while still on the wing.

Bill

Looking very fine indeed, Milton.

I noticed no one has answered your query re animating the MAD & radome as one. My limited Stoof experience says they could be deployed individually. Perhaps some resident S-2 drivers can confirm/deny.

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Looking very fine indeed, Milton.

I noticed no one has answered your query re animating the MAD & radome as one. My limited Stoof experience says they could be deployed individually. Perhaps some resident S-2 drivers can confirm/deny.

- H52
    H52,

I feel certain that you are correct in the real world. I am simply running out of animation tags and was wondering if, when one is deployed that the other is typically deployed.

If we feel strongly about separate animations, then we will have to get some xml gauge code together to handle the MAD boom, the radome, the retractable antenna, the folding wings, and the tail hook.

If we must do some, we may as well do them all.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Well thanks Gentlemen; we appreciate that.

Rather than model the sonobouys or model the holes (which turned out to be more poly expensive than the sonobouys), I decided to map the modeled holes, then project that map on the back of the plain paneled nacelle. That ended up being very inexpensive (just a few polys each side) and the finished look will be great.

Milton,

1. an observation- the CSD cooling air scoop should be on the lower right quadrant of the nacelle, on both nacelles. Meaning the scoop on the left engine should be on the inboard side. This was a mistake that Kinetic made with the new model kit in 1/48th scale. Don't know if this is correctible at this point or not. A minor point any way. The rivet counter in me can't find any other issues! You can make out the scoops in the pics below.

2. Why not animate the lower antenne with the landing gear? i.e. gear up / antenna down, gear down / antenna up. Don't know how this affects animations as you have 4 landing gear already.

3. Most all pictures show no armament or external stores, I agree with leaving them off.

4. Radome and mad boom animated together would be ok with me!

Either way, I will love flying this aircraft as I do all of these SOH projects!

Dave

S-2T question...

Milton,

Will the S-2T be the modernized ASW variant that was flown by Argentina?

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/256.../0700-2-AS-21/

Hope so!

Members who have read this thread: 131