SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 16
Page 16 of 119 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920212223242666116 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Invested all day yesterday just mapping interior parts; now done.

Ready for a pilot, and then a good thorough review for "what's left to be added" on the outside and inside before optimizing.

She's got a few more items to send to the paint shop so will get that done today as well.

Here's a few shots after adding specular shine; just had to add one without the "coat of many colors".

All textures and gauges are temporary.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

External textures now being filthied up

looking great Milton, can't wait to fly the thing now! (yes i know i could, but not as a complete package )

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Jan,

I think so ... may have to add a helmet for the Navy boys though. I'll have a look.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...n+tracker&aq=f

CS-2F Grumman Tracker Training Saskatchewan

Hope that helps...:salute:
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    External textures now being filthied up
    Good to hear, I'm getting the base scheme down and it looks too clean

Attachment 48408Attachment 48409

And sorry for the X shots, easier to work with when the texture pack is 2048
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's looking awesome guys.

I need to send to you the model updates with the specular highlights to add some realism as well.

I'll package it, upload it, and send you a link shortly.

EDIT: The package was small, so I emailed to you Smoothie. Please share with simkid22.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton, and on behalf of myself and Nick, thank you for granting us this opportunity to work on the thing! :salute:

That's superb Milton ! and congratulations to the team.
    May I ask you your settings for the materials to have such reflective effect?
    I experimented several settings.
    as an example, for ambient, I have R 70 B 70 and G 70 ; diffuse same and Specular level 40 and Glossiness 100. Specular is almost white with RGB at 229.

it's always tricky as some planes and specially military aircrafts, which doesn't have to be shiny by definition... (sometimes)

Cheers
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    That's superb Milton ! and congratulations to the team.
    May I ask you your settings for the materials to have such reflective effect?
    I experimented several settings.
    as an example, for ambient, I have R 70 B 70 and G 70 ; diffuse same and Specular level 40 and Glossiness 100. Specular is almost white with RGB at 229.

it's always tricky as some planes and specially military aircrafts, which doesn't have to be shiny by definition... (sometimes)

Cheers
    Pierre
    Pierre,

Thank you. Sounds like you are modeling for FSX which is quite different. Only diffuse maps available and no spec/bump/gloss maps in FS9.
    For FS9, I simply use a specular value of 35-37 for most major body parts, 50 for the chrome spinners. I use none on the tires but sometimes on the wheels, depending.
    The higher values "tighten up" the "glare" so not as wide-spread over the flatter surfaces, but the glare is more intense.

You can add a color for use on the specular but sometimes that gets in the way of some paint schemes.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

We used to have an S2, in private hands, parked at the airport her in Fairbanks, now it resides at the owners private strip. My recollection of it, in it's original Navy paint, was of a pretty smooth paint job, if not Imron slick. Some fading as one might expect from a plane sitting outside in a hostile climate for years.

Still Putzing along with the flight dynamics. As always, one thing changes another, so finer adjustment of engine power settings, HP and drag continues.

Cheers: T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    We used to have an S2, in private hands, parked at the airport her in Fairbanks, now it resides at the owners private strip. My recollection of it, in it's original Navy paint, was of a pretty smooth paint job, if not Imron slick. Some fading as one might expect from a plane sitting outside in a hostile climate for years.

Still Putzing along with the flight dynamics. As always, one thing changes another, so finer adjustment of engine power settings, HP and drag continues.

Cheers: T
    Thank you Tom for your excellent results to-date. The FM is coming along nicely.

Some specular lighting, even on dull paint, is necessary. Even old tires have a reaction to the sun's glare. Not to be confused with glossiness, the sun's glare is everywhere, even on roads.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Navy Pilot/Co-Pilot

Does anyone have gmax source for a Navy Pilot and Copilot for the 60's era that they would like to donate to the project?

Otherwise, I will try to convert Jan's Army/AF pilot to better suit the Navy aircraft.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I cannot provide an aircrew figure but I do recall that bright orange flight suits were in use back in the 60's. RGB of 255/132/72 looks about right on my monitor. They'd be worn by crews who operated over water or non-hostile territory where visibility was more important than camouflage if your plane went down.

Blog Entries
    Milton,

can I get a copy of the revised gmax source so I can update my files?

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Hi Milton,

I found this link to an article on the R-1820 with photos of a scale model of the 1,525 hp H-series Cyclone (as used in a.o. the Stoof (with and without roof)).

I don't know if it is of any use for you, by nevertheless I did not want to withold it from you.

http://www.modellclub.lu/cms/sites/m...one9_v12-1.pdf

Cheers,
    Maarten

Looks great!!!!!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Hi Milton,

I found this link to an article on the R-1820 with photos of a scale model of the 1,525 hp H-series Cyclone (as used in a.o. the Stoof (with and without roof)).

I don't know if it is of any use for you, by nevertheless I did not want to withold it from you.

http://www.modellclub.lu/cms/sites/m...one9_v12-1.pdf

Cheers,
    Maarten
    Thank you Maarten; that was an interesting read and a great collection of facts.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries

Any possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    That's looking awesome guys.

I need to send to you the model updates with the specular highlights to add some realism as well.

I'll package it, upload it, and send you a link shortly.

EDIT: The package was small, so I emailed to you Smoothie. Please share with simkid22.
    Hi Milton,

a
    Any chance of you sending me files to work on a paint job? I'd very much like to contribute some artwork...

Gaucho, bear with me, weathering etc... should be complete by Wednesday at the latest, then i can release a proper paintkit to Milton for full distribution :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Hi Milton,

a
    Any chance of you sending me files to work on a paint job? I'd very much like to contribute some artwork...
    I appreciate that gaucho! We should be getting something out very soon. I am just putting some final changes in the templates, trying to get a pilot figure in the cockpit, and get the glass looking right. I will hopefully wrap up my parts today and send teh base templates off to Smoothie. I do look forward to your contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    Gaucho, bear with me, weathering etc... should be complete by Wednesday at the latest, then i can release a proper paintkit to Milton for full distribution :salute:
    Will get you the final stuff late today.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

By George, I think I've got it!

The pilot figure (thank you Mr. Visser) is now in place with a Navy helmet (of sorts), the panels, consoles, and overhead all seem to work fine (will add backlighting once I have Diego's textures), all the little items are in place (except what will be painted in), the glass is much better with appropriate opacity and specular lighting, I engineered some shelving in the back that may take equipment one day but leaving it basic (who goes to the back anyway other than once?), the exterior lighting works (except what will be added after the cockpit panel and gauges are added), the wing fold joint textures have been mapped in, and the hydraulic hand pump handle is now in the cockpit for the gear and flap emergencies.

Hmmmm, now for a co-pilot ...
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

This is the first time I've followed one of your projects from start to finish, and it's exciting to watch the progress. This thread is my first stop every day. I love all of your aircraft, and am especially anxious to try this one out. Incredible. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    This is the first time I've followed one of your projects from start to finish, and it's exciting to watch the progress. This thread is my first stop every day. I love all of your aircraft, and am especially anxious to try this one out. Incredible. Thanks!
    Well thank you very much patful; that is appreciated. I am happy to do my part to bring something new and different to the community. Thanks also to Fliger, Smoothie and simkid22, Nigel, Diegox, euroastar350, Jan Visser, and all the members here who have assisted with links, pictures, manuals, drawings, photo trips, feedback, input, and support.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

いや~まいった!
    Me too, this is my first stop every time coming to SOH! It's an exciting project of a plane I have for a long time wanted to see. And it's done justice by the great skills of Milton and all the contributors. Every time I see it, I can't wait to fly it, and especially to paint it!
    日本頑張って!
    この飛行機野郎からで~す
    春日部市、埼玉県、日本

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerbeak View Post
    Me too, this is my first stop every time coming to SOH! It's an exciting project of a plane I have for a long time wanted to see. And it's done justice by the great skills of Milton and all the contributors. Every time I see it, I can't wait to fly it, and especially to paint it!
    Well, hopefully, you will not have long to wait.

And with the Willie Fudd so near, can the "Stoof" be far behind ...

Merging over newer work to the S2F-3 now ... still a lot to be done though.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

But of course it simply would not be right to release this fine model until the F7F is finished, Right!!

Members who have read this thread: 131