A Secondary Saga Southbound Sextant Adventure .. "Seeking Sally" - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: A Secondary Saga Southbound Sextant Adventure .. "Seeking Sally"

Safe and Sound at EGYP on the Falkland's

Safe landing at Mount Pleasant!

Attachment 46806Attachment 46807

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...xaNejOKrIira84

A cold beer and a Penguin Sandwich!

Then I'll go back over things and plan the next "Hop".
    salt_air

salt_air

That flight was just about true north. Less than 1 degree longitude change in four hours isn't much this far south.

Good luck finding those small islands.

There's no doubt you can navigate anywhere in the world, with the sextant, at this point in your adventures. As long as it isn't cloudy......or can climb above the ceiling.

Nice flight and documentation.

See you on the other side of the world!

dil

salt_air,
    right into the bulls-eye.
    Excellent job !
    We didn't tell you, but that was your checkride.
    It is with great felicitations that you are awarded the Navigator's Badge.
    Attachment 46811

Quote Originally Posted by Dil52 View Post
    I've read quit a bit of his material but hadn't read the Lincoln Ellsworth's 1935 transantarctic flight.
    It's not easy to read but I'll try to get through it.
    Agree it needs some selective reading.
    Just skip all the calculations of great circle positions and sextant data. GE/FSNav and USNO site is doing all that for us.

Good job (and perseverance) finding the airport in difficult conditions. :salute:

I hope you guys are proud of yourselves ... all I did was follow the darn fine instruction you all provided .... Thanks!!

I sure do hope some more folks will pick this up before it disappears into the folds of "Forumland" and the pages that aren't seen anymore.

It has been so stinkin' nice to not have to go back and forth between a hundred different sources to gather info and then try to shove it in a funnel and make some sense of it all.

Everything is covered in one thread .... and then some.

Hats off to Dave Bitzer, Dil52, and teson1 for all of the input to this fantasic collection of Sextant Navigation Tutorials.

I don't think anyone realizes how valuable this is ... and will remain.

Cheers,
    salt_air

Hey Dil ... we should prolly start a new thread as this one's getting rather long.

What do you think?
    salt_air

I think it's a great idea! :salute:

The final lesson will be Sextant 103 the Masters Degree. It'll include the built in "W" for figuring WCA caluclator in the graph and using the distance and heading to center feature for DR, EP and AP.

The Ice Stations flight has been planned. We'll probably shove-off, or should I say (slide off), the ice rink they call a RW at NZ0B in the PM tomorrow. When doing run-ups the emergency brake is useless unless positioned back on the snow pack.

Go ahead a start it tomorrow with your flight if you want.

I'm on my way back to the mainland at Viedma, Argentina (SAVV) eta 2315 Z

Will post recap with duenna and a few screenies.

Not doing as well .... trouble with Groundspeed and Drift calculations, but it's early.

Make a new thread and title ... I'll piggy back on your (new) thread till I get back to my Solo Flight at TNCC ... then I'll be posting at FlightSim.com on the trip home.
    salt_air