O/T Royal navy - the future

Thread: O/T Royal navy - the future

Blog Entries

O/T Royal navy - the future

A VISION OF THE FUTURE

It's 2038. HMS Indefensible has been handed over to the Royal Navy...

Today in a grand ceremony at Portsmouth dockyard HMS Indefensible was commissioned into the Royal Navy.

Described as the most stealthy warship in the world, she is now the only vessel in the Royal Navy and replaces 2 mothballed aircraft carriers, 6 destroyers and 4 submarines.

Responding to criticism about the shrinking fleet, the MoD replied "It's not about numbers, it's about quality not quantity.

HMS Indefensible represents a revolution in naval procurement, stealthy, light and agile she will provide a highly flexible platform.

She is invisible to radar and almost immune to torpedo or missile attack. Her shallow draft makes her ideal for work in the littoral (coastal) areas.

She is also highly efficient with virtually zero carbon emissions and zero fuel consumption "

Admiral Sir James Bland added "She is ready to respond instantly to events and can be deployed to trouble spots anywhere in the world.

The RAF have promised to fly her to wherever she's needed provided (1)They are not busy (2)The weather is OK (3)There is a large airfield provided by a friendly foreign nation close by".

Constructed by Britain's only ship builder BVATe Systems in Birmingham, taking 8 years to build, and costing just £1.5 Billion she is a triumph of British engineering.

Her forward section was built in China in 2 weeks and then shipped to the UK.

The forward section was then joined to the stern built in Birmingham and the complex technical systems installed.

However the programme was not all plain sailing and has not been without its problems,

"The original design included an outboard motor but early in the building process the Treasury insisted cost savings had to be made so out went the motor.

After some time spent on computer-modelling and research we selected oars" said a BVATe spokesperson.

Although £1.2 Billion over-budget and 3 years late, Secretary of State for Defence, William Bragg says we can all be proud

"The Type 48 programme has sustained 10,000 British manufacturing jobs in addition to 30,000 civil servants in the MoD project team.

She will represent the leading edge of British manufacturing wherever she goes and is worth every penny"

Bragg is also says he is hoping to see export orders soon although as yet there has been little interest.

Some observers have commented that her lack of any armament could be a problem but the MoD answered robustly

"The Foreign Office advised us that carrying weapons can be seen as provocative and that actually firing a weapon at someone would definitely infringe their human rights.

We considered this advice at an early stage in the design process and together with the fabulous cost-savings, the case for having no armament was overwhelming".

Her commanding officer, Commander Rupert Tubworthy-Pollock said "To be selected from the 1,200 officers still serving in the RN for the only seagoing command available is a great privilege.

Bringing her out of build and into commission has been a huge challenge but I'm confident she will prove to be a great asset".

With a crew of just 2, she is a fine example of lean-nning, reducing running costs and lessening the RN's recruitment headaches.

Her crew, AB "soapy" Watson said "On my last ship I had to share the mess with 40 other men but on the new Type 48 sharing is far a less of a problem.

As I'm now the only rating in the Royal Navy I have a lot of responsibility".

HMS Indefensible is expected to complete sea trials shortly, go to Plymouth for Operational Sea Training, have a short refit in Rosyth and then and be deployed as part of the new Euro-Navy task force.

CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    This is terrible, I have been following the "Death" of the RN
    And I am amazed it is so..
    BUMMER..

There'll always be an England???

To go with the Army's contribution, namely 1st Battalion, The Infantry. Not to mention the Royal Aero Plane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Talk about extreme budget cuts, how will the Brits defend the commonwealth nations now?

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Autothrottle View Post
    Talk about extreme budget cuts, how will the Brits defend the commonwealth nations now?
    Not to worry the USA has always defended the UK in the past..
    I don't think anyone in the USA would allow the UK to fall, ever..

Heck we have defended the UK before, I don't think this will change..

Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post

Oh you think so do you? There was a period around 1761 when you weren't so keen. and defended the UK? When? Where? Oh I know but it was reluctant ... both times! And you didn't so much defend, as set up camp and seduce the womenfolk with your fancy nylons and chocolate.
    Oh don't be so sensitive, I'm only joshing you, I'm not even British. lol
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I wonder what the next generation of warship will look like after that? Samoan war canoe perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post

When Obama gets through with our budget we will be lucky if we can defend ourselves. Defense spending is always cut when enconomic crysis falls. Once we get out of these wars our government will gut the military trying to balance the budget. In 20 years the Royal Navy may be larger than the American Navy.

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    ...an excellent design except well... that flag is a trifle pretentious....

possibly a slight downsizing is in order?

Quote Originally Posted by Autothrottle View Post
    As if we ever bloody did! They defended us, you mean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

And that filthy blue and yellow starred rag needs burning publicly, too...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    As much as I like to poke the Brits with my little pointed hobbit stick, I shall admit, I do have a Great Love of the UK..

It is where my family came from on my Dads side and I realize that no matter what The USA is tied at the hip with the UK and always will be I believe..
    When I was in England during the 70's the folks there were very nice and Kind to a foolish Young Hobbit..
    I haven't forgotten the Kindness I received while there..

Members who have read this thread: 0