Very little cash to spend, so many models to choose - What one!?!

Thread: Very little cash to spend, so many models to choose - What one!?!

Very little cash to spend, so many models to choose - What one!?!

Hi Y'all,

Due to the fact that my iPod Touch got stolen, and the slight issue of blowing 40 USD on an add-on that wasn't even that great, (Is there any re-ourse at all at FS Pilotshop?) I have now a dilemma: I can probably save up for one model, and one model alone, and have prepared a list of suitable aircraft, but I would like to ask for the help of fellow SOH members in making my decision. ;-)

A2A Boeing 377, w/ Captain-of-The-Ship - $60 - Very expensive IMO, want to hear opinions..
    Vertigo Studios TBM Avenger, Approx. $35 - I have no experience with this add-on..
    Rollus Dassault Rafale C/M, Approx. $35 as well, I do have Rollus' Dassault Mirage 2000, though the graphics look to be a significant advancement over that aircraft. What is it like? I like fast jets..
    And finally, the MAAM-Sim B-25, $30 - I have wanted to purchase this for a while, being the only good B-25 we have for FSX - How does it go in FSX?

I would appreciate any help in making this difficult decision,

Craig :-)
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Well, I would hold off on any B-25 stuff since Vertigo has one in the pipes. I have liked all the Vertigo stuff I have bought, but I haven't bought the Avenger so I cannot comment. The comments I have been reading on the stickied thread in this forum are looking positive though.
    The comments on the thread about the Rafale are positive until it gets to the VC. I am leaving that one alone.
    As for the 377, I hear it is everything it says it is, but again I don't have it so I can't comment on its authenticity. It just doesn't appeal to me in particular, but it looks quite nice.

Personally, out of the three you listed, I would go for the Avenger. But this is just my opinion based on what I have read in the various threads about those models.
    HTH

Hi Craig,

If you do like fast jets, why not the Milviz T-38? Of the list you mentioned, I can only tell about the Rafale. With his typical extra added items Rollus brings a nice niche to FSX, similar as his M2000. About the VC....considering the fact that modern cockpits are relatively simplified in looks, I'm more than happy with the Rafale.:salute:

Hank

Hi you guys!

Thanks for that! I am part of the Milviz general beta team, so I already have the T-38. Nice plane.. But it looks like the Avenger and Rafale are coming out on top. Hank, what are the frame-rates like on your system for the Rafale? One more question - Do the switches in the Rafale make a noise when clicked - like in the Uiver DC-2, or any accu-sim add-on?

EDIT: I wasnt having a go at Rollus' graphics, I was just wondering how they looked in sim.. They look really nice in screenshot form, but i have been deceived at times by this.. I will admit I worded my initial statement quite badly, and that it could be mis-interpreted..

Cheers,
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

Just wondering, Craig, do you have the VRS F/A-18F?
    You said you liked fast jets and clickable switches. :salute:
    I.m.h.o. the best jet for FSX!

Craig, what you are asking is a bit like; "What should I eat for dinner". I don't know what you like and what your current preferences are.

With the B25 you are supporting MAAM, but personally I'm currently still quite satisfied with the RCS B-25. The "Captain of the ship" add-on is not something for me who mainly like to fly single engine fighters, but I fully understand why people like this sort of add-ons. I'm not into jets so the remaining aircraft for me would be the Avenger.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hey Lenop,

Yes I do know of the VRS F-18E Super Hornet, and I realize it is about to gain functional weapons, but I have never really liked the look of the F-18 as an aeroplane, not having a go at VRS..

@Huub - Thanks for your opinion, and I understand what you mean - it is like asking what one should eat for dinner..

Craig. :-)
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

Quote Originally Posted by SADT View Post
    Hi you guys!
    Hank, what are the frame-rates like on your system for the Rafale? One more question - Do the switches in the Rafale make a noise when clicked - like in the Uiver DC-2, or any accu-sim add-on?

Cheers,

Hi Craig,

The Rafale is slightly heavier on the frame-rates when compared to Rollus previous M2000, though on my rig ( I7/860) hardly noticeable. And no, the switches do not make a sound when clicked.

Question though, did you gave the Etendard IVM a try?
    Payware quality for free....

Cheers,
    Hank

Blog Entries
    I'd suggest the new Skunkworks F-104 Starfighter, I’ve just got it and it’s absolutely fabulous. It’s very frame rate friendly and great to fly (a little challenging at first) You can download the aircraft and try it for a few minutes to see if you like it. <o></o>
    http://www.vaafse.org/simskunkhome/index.php
    <o></o>
    Regards,
    Ian.

Hi Hank,

Thanks.. thats very interesting.. I thought Rollus' Mirage 2000-5 had click-sound switches.. Any way, thanks for the help and information!

Cheers,
    Craig. :-)

P.S. Yes, I have tried the Etendard, and it is helping me improve my standard of carrier landing - it is a truly awesome piece of work! I just want something slightly faster...
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

Have you gotten the BF-108 Taifun SADT? It has a beautiful VC, great flying qualities, unique and classic. If you are looking for a good short field performer that is faster than the J-3, the Taifun is the bird.
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    I would have to say my vote is for the 377 with CotS... That airplane is tremendous fun. Plus the live crew adds so much to the equation. I have only logged about 12 hours with the CotS upgrade, but have over 200 hours on the regular 377+Accu-sim and CotS added a lot more value to the package. Another one you could look at is the B-17G+Accu-sim. That is another fun bird to fly. $60 is steep, but hearing people scream as you dive out of the sky certaintly has it's merits. As well as getting the applause at the end of a very sucessful, flaw free flight.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Hi Pilottj,

Yes, I do have the Bf-108, I beta tested on it haha.. and Roadburner, I also have the B-17.. though the CotS does sound very interesting...

I would like to thank every-one for all the suggestions and help, it was a hard one, as Huub said, "a bit like; "What should I eat or dinner""

Cheers,
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

Hey Huub,

Sorry to get off topic for a moment but was that Fokker in your signture ever officially released?

Thanks,
    LouP

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Hey Huub,

Sorry to get off topic for a moment but was that Fokker in your signture ever officially released?

Thanks,
    LouP
    Lou,

I think Huub was trying to find the modeler so he could get the Fokker G.1 released as a beta..

Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

I'm in the same boat with very little spare FS cash, but I think I might make a purchase in the next few days as a late birthday present to myself.

I've narrowed my choice down to the Flight1 Islander and the Realair Turbine Duke as I have no payware twins. My current thoughts is that the Duke is just a bit too pricey plus the NZ dollar against the US dollar is very favourable at the moment (the Duke is sold in Euros IIRC), so its probably the Islander plus that has some NZ paints. The Baytower RV-7 should be out in the next week or so (finally! ), so thats another possibility.