I've finally been converted from FS9... But need help

Thread: I've finally been converted from FS9... But need help

members+
    Fighter Fanatic

I've finally been converted from FS9... But need help

OK, I've reinstalled FSX, and reinstalled my Megascenery Phoenix, which I've had for over a year and am finally using.

However, there is one thing about FSX aside of not silky FPS (which they're not bad, really).

How do I get the dang sim to save where I last left? FS9, this was simple. Previous flight ---> Make Default. How do we do this in FSX, because I know it seems simple to re-choose every detail, but I don't like seeing Friday Harbor everytime I start the sim.

Thanks, and I'm off for some of that super photoreal stuff! :ernae:
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

Select an aircraft( I use the default Cesna 172) select an airport and then click on save from the main screen. check the box on the bottom of the screen that says save this a default flight
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Is that the only way? I miss being able to have weather settings, location, and specific aircraft saved for the nextflight.

Well, if this is the only way, I'll adapt. FSX is to realistic and cool to not go back to. And the FPS after a couple of flight are pleasantly higher than expectations. They damn well ought to be, with my newer system.

Thanks Mates :ernae:
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

When I make multi leg flights I usually just save the flight by using the "save" menu option from within the sim. Then when I fire up fsx again I choose to load the flight I last saved and I'm back to where I left it. All settings are saved.

Quote Originally Posted by PilatusTurbo View Post
    OK, I've reinstalled FSX, and reinstalled my Megascenery Phoenix, which I've had for over a year and am finally using.

However, there is one thing about FSX aside of not silky FPS (which they're not bad, really).

How do I get the dang sim to save where I last left? FS9, this was simple. Previous flight ---> Make Default. How do we do this in FSX, because I know it seems simple to re-choose every detail, but I don't like seeing Friday Harbor everytime I start the sim.

Thanks, and I'm off for some of that super photoreal stuff! :ernae:
    I believe the "previous flight" was not made by FS9, but by the FSUIPC module !
    As as soon as you get the FSUIPC for FSX, you'll find your "previous flight" again.
    Now, to make some flight default, you'll have to go into the "save" menu and check the little box that says "make this flight my default flight", or something like that.

I mean, theorically, if you save your flight selecting the "previous flight" entry, and setting it as default, then FSX will always use that flight. And since FSUIPC always updates it, it should work exactely like it worked in your FS9.

You need FSUIPC, the free version is enough for saving flights.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

That is correct you need FSUIPC but for me for some reason it only works when I exit a MP session. If I am doing just a normal flight when I end the flight and select previous flight it only ever goes back to my last online session.

I always thought this to be strange and thought it was normal for FSX and FSUIPC.

Since I rarely use the feature I did not care it did not work the same as in FS9.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Pilatus,

Thanks for asking this question. You beat me to it.

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Oh Hellyeah, Gentlemen! You guys just helped me fix a huge FSX pet peeve I had.

Now it's one step closer to being my primary sim.

Now, what I need, is someone to walk me through the most important FSX tweaks. I've looked at the guides, and can't figure out which are the most important. I don't wanna run every little tweak, but just the major improvements.

Either way, THANKS MATES :ernae:
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

The tweaks are not so hard anymore
    Basically, there are three main steps in my opinion:

1- go to http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html, fill in the required fields, give it your FSX.cfg file and download the automatically-generated-optimised FSX.cfg (and place it where the original one was, of course)

2- in that new FSX.cfg, place the autogen tweaks for limiting the maximum number of trees and buildings:
    TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=300
    TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1500
    (copy-paste in the [TERRAIN] section, you have to add those lines, there are not there by default)
    These tweaks will allow you to push the autogen density quite high without getting too much objects on the screen. So you'll still get some dense and good-looking autogen around you, but without impacting the FPS too much.

3- depending on how your computer performs with photoscenery or other heavy stuff, play around with the TEXTURE_BANDWITH_MULT value (decrease or increase). But in principle, you should already have something enjoyable with the 1 and 2 points above

That's all.

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Guys, thanks for the advice on the tweaks. I did follow each of them, and those site's suggested tweaks, as well. Thanks again for the help. Windows keyboard is being weird... won't let me hit enter to move down a line or two and instead spaced it down from the top. No backspace either...
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

What tool are you using for editing ?
    Normally, Notepad should not give any trouble....

Personally for setting up FSX I have followed Nick Needham's guide and never looked back:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html

FSX is so smooth and stable after that that I don't even update GFX drivers any more. If it ain't broke don't fix it.