Has anyone does tweaks for the following Ito aircraft? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone does tweaks for the following Ito aircraft?

Fi-167 Video

As promised, here is the video of the Fi-167 doing it's 'thing' (landing almost vertically) in FS2004. Just for kicks. Short (<3 min) video. The flight dynamics were NOT easy to do, but I prevailed (as I always do-even if it takes me a week-hehe). Enjoy.
    Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjeMM2_t5g .
    Chuck B
    Napamule

Post in another thread that I thought might be useful here.

Quote Originally Posted by norab View Post
    you can find Ito san's Mig 17 but with an improved FDE here

http://aviationtop1000sites.com/modu...=dateD&show=10

Hungarian markings but I'm sure no problem to swap them out
    Looking at Obio's list above, I swapped out the dynamics in Itosan's Sabre Dog for a set by Bob Chicilo for David Wooster's Sabre Dog, worked rather well. Similarly, I used one of Mr Chicilo's updates for the XB-70 in the Avro 730 as a 'quick & dirty' solution - the intention is still to tweak it, to something nearer the proposed performance, and the cockpit needs a lot of work to take it back to the correct period.

There is a (beta) DH-86 over at The Old Hangar (can't remember the author at the moment) which is an obvious donor for that of Itosan's.

Look over at Flightsim for filep5mmarlin14pack.zip , a set of repaints and revised dynamics for the Marlin.

Again, if any Mods are looking in, any chance we can get this thread stickied, it's proving very entertaining.
    Andy

I will stickie the thread...if the FS9 Mods decide that it is not stickie worthie, then we will abide by their decision...this is their Forum to supervise afterall.

I started this thread concerning those planes done by Ito that have working Virtual Cockpits since I fly from the VC only and do not use planes without VCs. But I know that there are those who do fly form the 2D panel. So....if you know of any tweaks, improvements, etc., to any of Ito's vast library of planes and space craft....feel free to share the info. Give us the name of Ito's plane, the name and location of the tweak package or packages, and it will become part of this growing thread.

Let's work to make all of Ito's planes fly as good as they look. The man produced to many visually stunning aircraft for flight sim, I feel we owe him this thread in appreciation of his generosity and productivity.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you like Itos Mig17, i'd really recommend our very own Morton, giving her some new clothes and a very good multi view 2d panel, if you cant have a vc, this is the next best thing, it turn'd up on the CFS2 forums but works fine out of the box on FS9 model.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ghlight=morton

cheers ian

This is an ideal thread for the Outhouse Wiki, along with maybe one for 3D light configs. And also onef or Obio, the material mdlmat and shine tutorial .

Great work guys, one day when I can get back to FS and get it running nice I'll be digging up this thread, lol.

Ta much,
    Jamie

JD

You're right about the MDLmat tute. I uploaded a visual tutorial to the library, and norab took it an made it into a much more usable PDF format tutorial. It's in the library under FS2004 OTHER.

I also need to write up an easy to follow tutorial on using MDLC 170 and a hex editor to add reflective texturing to planes. I know you sent me the tute on how to do it, it was easy to follow....but I think I could write up one that is even easier to follow. I know that once I did a reflective mod or two, it's like falling off a log. I can take a plane from non-reflective to fully reflective in about 3 minutes.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tada! A new permanent home for this thread.....so let's fill it up with tweaks and updates for Ito's wonderful collection of aircraft!

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jolly good! :salute:

OK, then a quick update on the C-27 Spartan project. Matt (Smoothie) has sent me a very nice EPA (Hellenic AF) C-27 scheme, and is (I believe) working on one or two others (a USCG paint was mentioned and, if Tim has sent him the pictures, an ANG scheme).

Chuck Backus (napamule) saved me a lot of grey hairs by sending me a very nice FDE update - the problem that was causing me issues was related to the CoG and datum points, way beyond my level of ability at the moment and one that caused Chuck some problems despite the fact that he is very experienced in this field. He supplied both FS9 and FSX versions btw

Somebody (mentioning nobody called Nigel) ducked when I asked the question about soundsets, so I'm still recommending aliasing this to the BSMP Saab 2000; it's a superb aircraft anyway, I can highly recommend it.

The panel - well, I have a working panel, using a mix of gauges from the PAD C-130J and C-295 (thanks again Bob), but I'm still not happy with the main bitmap so will be working on that a little more this week; then a little tweaking will be needed, but I can see an end in sight. I'll also need to do some checking and testing in FSX, but it hasn't been my main focus.

Hopefully I can get the whole thing posted up this weekend, including Matt's EPA scheme; presumably his other schemes will follow.

Thanks to all who have helped with this. Itosan gave us a good foundation to build upon, so it is nice to be able to pay tribute to the man with a few embellishments.
    Andy

Engines are the same as fitted to the C-130Js if i recall so commenting out 2 engines should do the trick nicely....

and yes paints are underway, although on hold due to me disappearing for 4 days starting friday (with another SoH member and RIAT Volunteer staff member SteveB) for the Royal International Air Tattoo, will be taking my new camera and related kit (Canon EOS 500D with Flashgun, 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses, and plenty of memory cards for it)

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    Engines are the same as fitted to the C-130Js if i recall so commenting out 2 engines should do the trick nicely....
    Yes, that I did think about that; maybe we can offer the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    .....(with another SoH member and RIAT Volunteer staff member SteveB) for the Royal International Air Tattoo, will be taking my new camera and related kit (Canon EOS 500D with Flashgun, 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses, and plenty of memory cards for it)
    Lucky git, I haven't been to the RIAT since the year they were up at Cottesmore. Enjoy!
    Andy

Smoothie

Head over to the Newshawks forum....I did a thread in which I shared a link to the pics I took at Airport Day. Pics of the C-27J marking are included.....really did the insignia with the skull with a dagger rammed through it.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spartan Sound

Andy,
    Key in 'Reinhard Herrmann' at FSCom to get a turbo-prop sound (dated 2000) which I find good enough for the Spartan. Why stuggle. I did not look so don't have the zip file name, but his name only pops up 20 files, about 10 are sound, so you can't miss finding them. I am glad to hear (on the grapevine?) that the FDEs worked.

The last 10 days I did the FDE's for the BV 170, then the Fi-167, and just got done today with the Junkers EF-112 (nailed it!). Having too much fun flying the EF-112 and making videos to post my updates to Media Fire. Should do that tonight I guess. I said get thru email, but I recant on that stipulation. The first jerk that will take my FDEs will be Lucarinny, I bet. No, I KNOW. And he will say he got FDEs from the 'developer' (Ito). Ha.

Obio. How about trying out my FDEs and let me know if they are better. (Of course you have to be a 'half decent' pilot (hehe). We all know how messed up Ito's FDEs were 'out of the box'. On the subject of Ito using turbo prop FDEs on all these planes-well, not only that- but I noticed he used the same parameters (cnt pts, etc) on the different models! Woaa Nelly-that won't work (as we find out). But I'm a 'Pro' and love to wrestle with the dynamics. I had not flown 'some' of these since 2005 or so, and NEVER flew the EF-112 (for some strange reason) until this week. But I did find some edits (blast from the past) on some. Makes me laugh as I have since learned a few 'tricks' I did not know back then. But it's never a 'slow day' for tweaking. In fact I can't keep up! Default airplanes? Don't get me started on that (hehe) as I don't have the time for 'them' (ha). Will post tonight.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

SOH-CM-2024
    Hello, everyone-
    I just finished putting together FDE files for his He-219A-7 (yes, contact points too), starting with the FDEs from Ted Kaniuka for the 219 from CFS3... anybody want to take 'em for a ride?
    -Mike Z.

I have a revised FDE set for the BV138 pretty much dialed in and am working on the Martin SP-5B Marlin. The BV138 has passed my testing and has been tested by another FS9 member who gave it the green light for human consumption...will get the panel tweaking done and get the package uploaded in a day or two. Then I will concentrate on the Marlin.....water behavior is dialed in I think, just working on the speed and such now (ya know....the hard parts of an FDE set). Borrowed some stuff from the Alphasim Marlin config file and got the top speed down from 236 knots to around 210 knots. Need to test cruise speed and see how close it is to the listed 130 knots.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by mikezola View Post
    Hello, everyone-
    I just finished putting together FDE files for his He-219A-7 (yes, contact points too), starting with the FDEs from Ted Kaniuka for the 219 from CFS3... anybody want to take 'em for a ride?
    -Mike Z.
    Certainly be interested in giving them a spin on the weekend, if the offer is still there Mike.
    Andy

SOH-CM-2024
    No problem, Andy- PM me with your e-mail address and I'll shoot you a copy to try out.

-Mike Z.

Obio,
    The 'cheap' way of slowing it down (quote: 'Need to test cruise speed') is to increase the fuselage drag (in air file). Double, or 4x, it and see how 'effective' it can be. Not 'spec' but a mod you might want to 'try'. Cheap trick. But it works best on lighter aircraft (power wise). For larger engines, the 'other' trick is to increase wing area to slow it down. But that will affect handling, so be prudent with how much you increase. Have not done this much, so don't have figures or % amounts. I guess, 10% with light ac and 40% for heavies would be 'ok'? Just 'food for thought', really, and not anything 'spec'.

Mike,
    I am curious to 'see' what other 'tweakers' use for values and the results it has on handling, etc. But I NEVER criticize, or offer 'advice'. I'm just a 'mechanic' not an 'engineer' (ha). If I PM you can I get them too? You can have any of my FDEs in return. How's that? I do FDEs 24/7 as I'm retired and have (too much) time on my hands. BUT, when I am doing FDEs there is not ENOUGH time. One minute it's 9 pm and the next minute it's 4 am (hehe). Cheers.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Edit: I just downloaded the He-219 (I am afraid to 'look' as it's 10 pm already-will leave install for tamale). Cheesh.

SOH-CM-2024
    Hi-
    Napamule, I would be glad to send you a copy of the FDE for the 219, and would be happy to check out your work on the others. As I told OBIO, I really didn't do too much to the files- what took the longest was figuring out how to overcome some adverse side-effects of shifting the reference datum. I did this by deleting some of the entries in the .air file that overrode the tweaks in the aircraft.cfg. Those changes, and some adjustment to the nose gear compression values, were about all I needed to do.
    I'm more of a mechanic than an engineer myself- just rolling up the sleeves, opening up the (virtual) toolbox, and doing what I gotta do to make it work right (heh heh)...

-Mike

Day Off

Mike,
    Sorry I din't get back to you. Had a lot of chores, and other 'real life' obligations and just installed the He-219 an hour ago. Time flys. But I also take a day off once in a while. In fact I have to research specs, etc so phoey 'working'-I'm going to bed.

Since I found out I can post zip files on the forum posts (just like a pic, but more like an attachment) that readers can click on and do download, I plan to post the cfg and air files for all the models I got. Yesterday I started with doing 'final' check ride for what I plan to post and found problems so had to hold off posting zips. How some stuff gets by I don't know, but it does. Then today am taking a day off. Will be back at it tomorrow. And since I am already TOO busy, will pass (for now) on your files. Sounds interesting what you did (delete air sections). The first one I delete is the 'Land Me=1' entry in dynamics section. I laugh everytime I see that. So the air does have a lot of 'junky' sections/entries, that's for sure. Tank locations? No engine section? Inertia section? 'Yet Another Name=" ? Leftovers from FS2K/2K2. And CFS too. Hey MS! We need 'updated' air file program and 'complete' air sections! (Ha).
    Chuck B
    Napamule

SOH-CM-2024
    No problem, Chuck-
    Real world obligations pretty much wiped out all of my weekend as well...
    A couple of days ago, though, I did hear from Ted Kaniuka (NachtPiloten), who gave me his blessing regarding uploading the files- so I'll be uploading them here at SOH shortly. So far OBIO and Andy seem to like them, although Andy had a hard time making it stall, otherwise he says it flies pretty much like the A2A version.
    Andy- how do the MOI values compare between what I have vs. the A2A Uhu? There was a substantial difference between what I got with Tom Clayton's MOI Calculator, and the values in the original CFS3 files...

-Mike Z.

SOH-CM-2024
    I've just uploaded them to the 'Other' category of FS2004 add-ons... Come and get it!
    -Mike Z.

.....although Andy had a hard time making it stall, otherwise he says it flies pretty much like the A2A version..
    And, believe me, I tried. Gear down, full flaps, engines off and she stayed controllable all the way down from about 10000 feet; the A2A version, in the same configuration, lost it at just under 100 KIAS.

Andy- how do the MOI values compare between what I have vs. the A2A Uhu? There was a substantial difference between what I got with Tom Clayton's MOI Calculator, and the values in the original CFS3 files...

-Mike Z.
    I'll check later Mike, and let you know.

BTW folks, don't forget to check out Lawdog's DB603 soundset in the archive. The panel is on my to do list, but the C-27J has priority (real world has distracted me) and the Greif is after that.
    Andy

Understanding datum adjustments

OK, here's a good one for you. I find myself with a little time on my hands (mainly because I have just been made redundant) so I'm picking up on a few projects, mainly Ito-related. So I should finally get the C-27J panel done, among other things.

One aircraft I would like to look at is the SR.A1, but all my attempts to date have been fruitless, because the balance is totally out. So I guess the datum points need adjusting, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.:salute:
    Andy

Tweak

Andy,
    I just downloaded Ito's SARO and will work on cnt pts (and anything else you like) tonight. It won't be ready until 11 pm (2300 PST/0500 GMT) or so. Will zip up cfg (and air if necessary) and post it here LATE tonight (Thur). Might even be as late as 1 am. I don't have anything pending (yeah, right!) except the rest of Ito's models on Obio's list-ha. I'll BE BAAAACK.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

SOH-CM-2024

Datum Adjustments

Figuring out how to make the datum adjustment work was the biggest key for me to making other FDE file sets work for Ito-San's aircraft. Here's the thing:
    Most developers create their models so that the co-ordinate origin (0,0,0) is approximately at 75% MAC with respect to the length of the a/c, centerline of the fuselage for side-to-side, and somewhere between what's been called the 'waterline' and the thrust centerline for the vertical axis. What Ito seems to do is set his zero point for the lengthwise axis to the midpoint of his fuselage. What I do is add a line to the 'lights' section of the a/c.cfg file and set its co-ordinates to 0,-3,0 to show me where his c/l is located. I can then figure out how far I've got to offset the reference datum. Once I enter the difference into the 'reference datum position' line, that usually puts the rest of my points pretty close, assuming that I am using a cfg file from the same plane by some other author.
    In the case of his A5M4 Claude, for example, adapting the air and cfg files from the CFS2 1% version of the plane was pretty painless. Both planes used c/l of the fuselage for the side-to-side axis, and both used the thrust c/l for their respective zero points. Only the lengthwise axis origin was different. I moved it by entering a value of '6.5,0,0' to my 'reference_datum_position'. Then, because I pasted in the 'lights' section from Ito's cfg file, I simply had to shift the position of the lights back to compensate for the 6.5 feet I moved the datum. That was really about all I needed to do for this plane. The next step, if need be for the particular aircraft, would be to nudge some of the contact points and light points around to adjust for small differences in the models' dimensions. This was the case when I adapted Piglet's air and cfg files for the MS 760 to Ito's model.
    The biggest trouble I had adapting files this way was doing the He 219. There was an entry in the air file the over-rode the datum shift- number #1547 (I think), which defined a center of lift. The point did not move with the datum shift, which made the center of lift too far back on the fuselage for her to fly. I deleted the entry from the air file and the problem was gone.
    -Mike Z.