Oldpropfan's Antics in the Andes - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oldpropfan's Antics in the Andes

Alot of cloud cover on this flight, made for some hairy moments as I tried to slide in between the high spots. Cross your fingers that you got the WCA right and get ready to react fast when you come out of the clouds. Made it into Cochabamba alright though, will take a little break and continue on.

Time: 51 min 44 sec
    Fuel used: 582
    Maint pts: 0

Attachment 45356Attachment 45357

Refreshed and refueled, cargo strapped down, moving on down the airways. Departing for Sucre.

TOW: 24069
    Fuel: 1200
    Cargo: 6000

Still alot of cloud but not much granite to dodge except on the approach, had to swing around and land rwy 5 due to wind. Arrived at Sucre.

Time: 44 min 35 sec
    Fuel used: 518

Attachment 45366Attachment 45367

More cargo and a quick turn-around has us heading on to Potosi. Let's hope the cloud clears as this one is straight uphill and it's getting dark.

I think that'll be the last time I try flying through the mountains at dusk, way too nerve wracking. Also, tell Nellie we need to put some radio activated lights at Potosi, I was almost over the field before I saw it. Got her down anyway and after taxing in and parking realized everyone had gone home for the day. Tower was empty and cargo dock locked up tight, guess we're sleeping in the plane tonight.

Time: 22 min 14 sec
    Fuel used: 264

Attachment 45368Attachment 45369

Finally heading out again. Forgot it was Sunday, had to pay triple to get someone out to the field to unload and fuel the plane then everyone went home for lunch and siesta so we had to load the cargo ourselves. Will forward the bill for the added expense to accounting. Departing for Coposa.

Cut it a little close on the fuel planning I think, made it into Coposa with only 35 1/2 gallons of fuel left. Was going to come in through the valley from the north but threw that out the window and risked finding a pass so I could go straight in, got lucky.

Time: 1:26:18
    Fuel used: 986

Attachment 45417Attachment 45418

Time to make the downhill run to Iquique, departing Coposa for the coast.

Well that was a fail, flew the whole flight and never realised the Duenna autostarted ( or maybe never started? ) after I was already airborne so it failed my on ground state and <5kts state. Wonder if the 19 knt headwind at Coposa had something to do with it. Anyway, the flight didn't register so I'll try a redo later today.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpropfan View Post
    Well that was a fail, flew the whole flight and never realised the Duenna autostarted ( or maybe never started? ) after I was already airborne so it failed my on ground state and <5kts state. Wonder if the 19 knt headwind at Coposa had something to do with it. Anyway, the flight didn't register so I'll try a redo later today.

Sounds like it didn't start ....

In other duenna events if there is a problem with your duenna files generation or irretrievable then we have used a screenshot of the MSFS flight analysis available at the end of each flight.

Check with Paul on the legality of that for this event, but it will save you from having to redo a perfectly good flight in the others.
    salt_air

Thanks Salt_air but I didn't think to save any screenshots as verification that I had completed the flight. No big deal really, I was just getting ready to redo the flight tonight anyway, so here we go again:
    Time to make the downhill run to Iquique, departing Coposa for the coast.

And we made it, even if the vis at Iquique wasn't more than 2 miles, thank goodness they have NDB's on approach. Grab some quick grub while they unload and then it's on to Calama.

Time: 45 min 12 sec
    Fuel used: 512

Attachment 45485Attachment 45486

These guys at Iquique are fast, unloaded and a new load set to go for Calama. Grabbed some snacks and coffee, we're ready to roll.

Made it into Calama with some daylight left. What a desolate landscape between Iquique and here, will have to do some research and see if it's really like this. Nothing like flying over the desert to give you a case of the nods.

Down to the homestretch, if anyone's left in Salta first 5 are on me as soon as I get in.

Time: 55 min 34 sec
    Fuel used: 735

Attachment 45487Attachment 45488

Way to go!
    All the best for your last leg into Salta, and put a few into the fridge for me. I'll be inbound soon as well.

And yes, for once FS is representing the scenery exactly as it is - the Atacama is considered the driest desert on earth. Nothing but barren earth and dust.

Got your tab for you when you get in teson1, wonder when the last time was they had any rain down here?

Loaded and fueled up, plane up to snuff, heading out for Salta! Hope the rest of you guys left us some frosties.

TOW: 24469
    Fuel: 1600

Made it in, on fumes that is!!!! Thought I'd found a quick route by going NE then cutting across through the high peaks, wrong again. Had to wind my way up, down, and across to find a way out of the mess I was in. Plane parked and unloaded, I'm heading to the bar for shots and some cold ones. Thanks to everyone for putting on a great event and giving us stragglers extra time to make it in, enjoyed every minute of it and reading about the escapades of my fellow pilots.

Time: 2:10:21 ( should have gone SE )
    Fuel used: 1468 ( trying to make up for lost time didn't pay off )

Attachment 45540Attachment 45541

SOH-CM-2017
    Congrats and welcome to Salta:salute:

The crowd awaits your arrival.

Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

Congrats!!

Hat's in the air Al !!

Well done ... Belly up to the bar ... the tab is open and on me.

Great Job!
    salt_air

Hooray! Congratulations on a job well done ! :salute:

And well done finding a way out of that maze without busting the ceiling ! Be sure I'll keep the heck out of there.

I'll be in soon, then we can continue our private party of last night. I want to hear some more about the adventures of your trip.

Thanks everyone, this is the 2nd event I've flown at SOH and they've both been alot of fun and challenging at the same time. Also a great group of people to fly with/against, glad I decided to give the format here a try.

Al

Well done, Al. We are just delighted to have you join the crew...you're buying, right?

--M
    -Mike

Way to go Al! Nice job!
    Another great pilot who's deserves some R&R !

Members who have read this thread: 0