As it is, the end has arrived...

Thread: As it is, the end has arrived...

As it is, the end has arrived...

...for this Talon, and a fitting end it is for me. I took it for my last beta flight with a copy of the "Duxford B-52D" paint on the CS B-52H. My dad flew B-52D aircraft 689 on Arc Light missions over Vietnam in the late 60's, and then again out of the former Carswell AFB during the late 70's early 80's. We watched it take off for it's final flight from Carswell to Duxford...can't remember if it was 82 or 83. I have the newspaper clipping from the Fort Worth Star Telegram around here somewhere. Anyway, Colin at Milviz did the VC for the CS B-52, so no matter how I looked at it, it was a fitting end! Enjoy!

And here she is arriving at Duxford; the shortest landing ever made by a B-52, so it says on her display placard. Quite a heavy touch down, but he had to kill the lift quickly in order to get her in.

Now the centrepiece of the American Air Museum building, along with such aircraft as the B-29, B-24, B-17, SR-71, F111 and a load more.

Thanks Paul K! I had no idea there was video of the landing. It was amazing for me that almost 30 years after watching it take off, I finally got to see it land. BTW, the Aircraft Commander they show in the clip at the end is a guy I've met before. I didn't know he was the one who flew it over to Duxford.

My first TDY (1982) as a young Airman in the Air National Guard was to Blytheville AFB, AR to install an ILS and Glideslope. B-52's, KC-135s, and C130's did touch and goes all day and almost every day. I took a lot of pictures but since my camera of that era was a Kodak C110, the pictures didn't do the experience justice.
    Ear plugs where a must.

Attachment 40503Attachment 40504Attachment 40505

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    and how did you like tooterville?

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    and how did you like tooterville?
    Don't remember that much of it except the county was dry on Sunday when we were looking to purchase some alcoholic refreshments. I think that is the TDY we drove over to Memphis to see Graceland. Too many braincells have died since then unfortunately. I do remember the noise of working at the end of the runway though.

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Steve you are far from finished, now get back to work!! Seriously though good screens. The end is near, although I haven't been able to fly the latest build due to the severe thunderstorms we have been having in north Florida these past 2 days.. Beginning to go through withdrawals.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Roadburner440 View Post
    Steve you are far from finished, now get back to work!!
    Well, it's down to just checking over the AI package. I'm pretty much done with hashing over the main model... you can only do so much hammering on those rivets.