Up the Long Ladder

Thread: Up the Long Ladder

Up the Long Ladder

Well, after nearly three years I did the unthinkable...I uninstalled and reinstalled FS2004. This actually marks the first time I did this without a hard drive crashing, although there seemed to be some ground texture issues that were driving me stark raving mad. I knew there would be some work involved getting it to where I like it, but I didn't realize there were so many details...for instance I saved some of my favorite planes...but had erased the effects folder and the gauges so I had to scour the Web several times today (thank you Hinch for the Airhead Super Deke!!). Already got the SilverWings installed; there are a few other things I will be looking at (the HD clouds for instance). So here's hoping for a leaner, cleaner FS2004. I got a long road ahead; I'm just going to say thanks in advance to all you guys for the advice collected over the years.:ernae:

I feel your pain, my climb started a long time ago, haven't made it far. I seriously considered a stock install for a while, lol. One day I'll get back to the old heights.

Jamie

Charter Member 2011
    Yeah...there comes a time...
    I keep a 100% operational backup on an external drive which never sees the internet.
    It is quicker when you can just dip in and salvage a gauge or texture from there.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drzook View Post
    ...for instance I saved some of my favorite planes...but had erased the effects folder and the gauges so I had to scour the Web several times today
    Try my simple philosophy; apart from obvious trash or suspect material, I have stored every single file download made since 2007. Whenever I make a new download first the file is checked, stored in a dated folder, then tested.
    Yep, that's quite a hefty collection of gigas, but I always have the capability of rebuilding fairly quickly without having to remember where and what I have downloaded.
    I suppose I'm a natural hoarder, but it pays off! :salute:
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

For what it's worth I keep updated copies of gauges, effects and textures, addon textures (for EZ-scenery, nova gold, etc), flights, ENB data and aircraft, basically anything that is subject to changes. I used to keep copies of main texture, all addon sceneries and some others but each of those contain processes as well as discreet files. The final products after working to re-create these for a reinstall just can't be copied and pasted into place, so I don't have those anymore. I do, however, have zip copies of every DL which has come to the rescue countless times. If ever a site gets hacked I could easily re-stock a great deal of their shelves.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Whenever I make a new download first the file is checked, stored in a dated folder, then tested. ....I always have the capability of rebuilding fairly quickly without having to remember where and what I have downloaded.
    I suppose I'm a natural hoarder, but it pays off! :salute:
    "I do, however, have zip copies of every DL..." - aeromed202

Ditto on both counts. Yes, I go to a lot of trouble, but it's in my nature to "take the time".

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Members who have read this thread: 1