Someone to model a building for me - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Someone to model a building for me

After layout and 75% completion of several hangers, I finally decided a positive direction in plan layout. The upper area, living quarters with a 6' wrap around deck (slider door is already installed in the back)

The exterior walls are going to be framed out and have as much glass as possible. Below the living area, covered vehicle parking with a door leading out the back and up the (covered) stairs above.

The hanger doors are built-in to follow the hanger wall, and to the furthest outside support post of the upper structure. Where when opened they are two pieces. When closed (I hope I can get this figured out (animation)) they will tuck into a partial stub wall to eliminate rain and wind from getting in.

I still have the office (lower left front, windows, skylights, and all the interior to do also. Who knows, I might scrap this one before it gets finished too

Slowly coming together

A very tedious chore to get the windows framed and trimmed out. But coming together nicely.

None of these textures are going to be used. They're default to the program. I'm basically using them for layout and mapping.

Steps (lots to do yet in this area)

Steps (lots to do yet in this area)

Textures

After Fathers Day breakfast I spent about two hours driving around with my camera, getting the textures I wanted off of other structures. They're slowly getting applied as I model in more details.

I had a few set-backs that caused me to demo and reconstruct. Back on track once again.

right click, view image for full effect

It is looking very good OleBoy, and I know how much fun it is too.

Just a few words of friendly advice. You seem to be adding a lot of details in 3d. That is good up to a point but you need to check how they will look in FSX as many of them might not be visible enough to justify the extra poly count. You don't need to fully convert them to FSX, the MCX view is very similar to how it will look in FSX. You can also try hiding the edge lines in sketchup to get a nice preview.

You may want to investigate adding details in your textures instead. You can add "painted in" shadows too in the texture and sometimes that creates a more 3d look than actually having all faces of a surface in the model, as the FSX shadowing and lighting system is not the most advanced one.

Keep up the good work!

If you place the stair on the other side of the building you won't block that bay. Also handrails are supposed to be 3'-6" high. Stair treads are 11" and risers are between 7 1/2" to 8" high. I worked for 35 years with architects. Most building codes are the same.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

No offense, but, I had no idea building codes were relevant in this virtual world. I'll get right on that! Not!! Besides, if I were building to code, they do vary by state. For that matter, this building is wrong starting at the footing. I guess I better start over?

For the record, the stair risers are 7", treads 11", grab rails 40". Regarding the stairs blocking the bay, they were put there intentionally (covered resident parking)

In-Sim testing

It works. Although the LOD is not not even close to my expectations

Glad you got it working. It looks great IMHO.

If you are not happy with it, I still believe you will see huge difference by working on the textures trying to imitate light effects. For starters you need to darken the inside textures a bit, unless there is internal lighting assumed. FSX does not do that for you. The same goes for the areas under the roof extensions that are normally shadowed. Have a look at the building on the bottom right of your screenshot and you'll see a bit of what I mean. Next you will have to work on windows and maybe add a tint or shine/reflection.

Hi Dimus. Thank you for your assistance and recommendation. I value your input.

You're right, it definitely needs more attention to detail to be more realistic. Your email helped me out quite a bit as you see, otherwise I would still be seeing a black building!
    ....I haven't yet messed with the windows due to finishing other missing areas. Hand rails for the stair case, and a few other goodies inside. I might even model up some hanging shop lights. Although recessed lights are more practical. I know nothing about night textures,but, night lighting also comes to mind, along with the shadowing you mention.

You don't need night textures unless you want to show lights on during night time. Then it is a procedure of darkening the areas that are not lighted and painting light effects.

Radius objects

The chimney ash screen seen atop most chimneys of this type. Just playing around. A lot of triangles to make it compared to rectangles. But with a little wire mesh for effect, very convincing.

stove too