Virtavia C-17 Globemaster III is OUT!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Virtavia C-17 Globemaster III is OUT!!!

Great shot dvj!

Mal and I got the Autopilot Electrical issue sorted by adjusting the aircraft config [electrical] section entry: "electric_always_available =" from 0 to 1. Whatever anomaly was going on with my setup and the C-17 was cured by that simple adjustment. Everything is 100% now and it is a great model.

Regarding Garrett Smith's FMC- fmc-1.zip, the panel config entry edit as follows:

Window07=FMC//GPS

[Window07]
    Background_color=16,16,16
    size_mm=325,512
    window_size_ratio=1.000
    position=0
    visible=0
    ident=GPS_PANEL // change if you keep your GPS window
    window_size= 0.255, 0.475
    window_pos= 0.745, 0.520

gauge00=HoneywellFMC!fmc, 0,0,325,512

That's it! :salute::ernae:

Anyone looking to test out the STOL characteristics, there's a highway strip in Kuwait (ICAO: Z19M), I'm having some great fun slamming on the reverse thrust in the middle of a Khe Sanh Approach.

The only things that would make this better would be a working FMC and perhaps a more legible/higher contrast HUD, apart from that, it's a great plane.

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Mal and I got the Autopilot Electrical issue sorted by adjusting the aircraft config [electrical] section entry: "electric_always_available =" from 0 to 1. Whatever anomaly was going on with my setup and the C-17 was cured by that simple adjustment. Everything is 100% now and it is a great model.
    I did not fully pay attention to your problem, so excuse me for asking about this yet again. Were you not able to turn the Autopilot on after having the battery off for several minutes? I have noticed even long before the VC that if you turn the battery off, your AP becomes non functional and your GPS will never turn back on. After I had the battery off and those functions became INOP I had to completely select a whole new aircraft like a default cessna, and jump back in the 17 to get the GPS and AP to work.

If that is what you were having problems with I apologize for not paying attention, as it may have saved some grief. Thank you though for posting that fix. I thought I had done this at one point with the old aircraft, but I guess I did something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin216 View Post
    I did not fully pay attention to your problem, so excuse me for asking about this yet again. Were you not able to turn the Autopilot on after having the battery off for several minutes? I have noticed even long before the VC that if you turn the battery off, your AP becomes non functional and your GPS will never turn back on. After I had the battery off and those functions became INOP I had to completely select a whole new aircraft like a default cessna, and jump back in the 17 to get the GPS and AP to work.

If that is what you were having problems with I apologize for not paying attention, as it may have saved some grief. Thank you though for posting that fix. I thought I had done this at one point with the old aircraft, but I guess I did something else.
    Hi Merlin, I have my default flight set as engines off and perhaps that has something to do with the anomaly or not. With the C-17, I immediately started the engines and all instruments worked except the backup Attitude Indicator, the GPS, and the Autopilot Master Switch would not move when clicked. Funny thing is that the Auto Throttle Switch and system and everything else worked fine. It just struck me as odd as apparently only a few people are having this issue and other testers did not during and after the beta phase. But the config entry change to the electrics cleared up the problem and everything is 100% functional now. As a matter of fact, I am flight testing it right now on a 2500mn flight and all is working flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Hi Merlin, I have my default flight set as engines off and perhaps that has something to do with the anomaly or not. With the C-17, I immediately started the engines and all instruments worked except the backup Attitude Indicator, the GPS, and the Autopilot Master Switch would not move when clicked. Funny thing is that the Auto Throttle Switch and system and everything else worked fine. It just struck me as odd as apparently only a few people are having this issue and other testers did not during and after the beta phase. But the config entry change to the electrics cleared up the problem and everything is 100% functional now. As a matter of fact, I am flight testing it right now on a 2500mn flight and all is working flawlessly.
    Yes this is exactly what problem I have always had. I find it has to do with the battery being off for only a few minutes. I have just flown a short 250nm hop and was able to test your change, which works, but I would like to actually have everything in the aircraft turn off when I shut off the battery switch. That fix is by far better than losing my AP, backup attitude, and GPS though.

I am assuming with your default flight, the batteries are also off right?

Figure Ill upload a couple old pictures

We had a few on this flight, so that was nice to see a bunch of these birds in the air at once. Would love to do it again sometime.

For anyone still having problems adjusting the AP values keep in mind that adjustments are made by putting the cursor over the knob (so it changes to a hand symbol) and then use the MOUSEWHEEL to adjust the value up or down.
    :ernae:

Why not Charleston schemes? We are Leaders of the C17 Fleet!

Charleston and other schemes available over at Flightsim.com.

Simply search AlphaSim C-17

http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?c...ston.jpg&idx=8

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/im..._54_48_282.jpg

I like the way you can actually reverse in FSX. Enabling you to reverse taxi round part of the taxiway then takeoff opposite to the direction you just landed Just like at the airshow C-17 demo.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Charleston and other schemes available over at Flightsim.com.

Simply search AlphaSim C-17

http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?c...ston.jpg&idx=8
    These are a few of the repaints from the v1 release that will work (as they all do) since there have been no changes in the texture mapping. These are of bases not included among the texture sets in the latest release. (zip file names are from flightsim.com)

Altus AFB - altus930602.zip
    Charleston AFB - c17_77182v2.zip and charleston.zip
    Dover AFB - dover66165.zip
    Edwards AFB - edwards-c17.zip
    Elmendorf AFB - 990169.zip
    Travis AFB - 066154.zip and travis066156.zip

There's also a couple sceneries for Charleston AFB by Ryan Cobb over there with lots of C-17 sized parking spots.
    :ernae:

Frank,

Just purchased, installed and flew her around the Sound a bit. Fantastic looking bird. However, noted a few things. First, I have NO 2D cockpit; radios are all on but no communications; autopilot doesn't seem to wrk properly. I will uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes the problems. Otherwise, fantastic model and just need an FMC and more legible HUD.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Frank,

Just purchased, installed and flew her around the Sound a bit. Fantastic looking bird. However, noted a few things. First, I have NO 2D cockpit; radios are all on but no communications; autopilot doesn't seem to wrk properly. I will uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes the problems. Otherwise, fantastic model and just need an FMC and more legible HUD.

Matt
    The autopilot can apparently be switched using the mouse scroll wheel.

Frank,

Matt
    Frank, unistalled and reinstalled and still the same issues exist. With regards to the autopilot, I may be doing something wrong and if anyone has an idoits guide to using the autopilot, please forward, I'll gladly take it and wear the dunce cap. Radios are on in the main console and overhead and still no radio comms either heard or able to be transmitted. Suggestions?

Matt

Update, so after re-reading all the posts, my switch does not work for the autopilot. I tried left/right clicking and the mouse wheel and still no autopilot. Also, the download was version 2.2 I believe.

Matt,
    did you try switching it on from the panel in the VC (towards the right hand side).

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Matt,
    did you try switching it on from the panel in the VC (towards the right hand side).
    Yes, the A/P switch located next to the ATS switch?

yeah, thats the one...still no luck?

open up the aircraft.cfg and turn the electrical from 0 to 1

[electrical]
    max_battery_voltage = 24
    generator_alternator_voltage = 28
    max_generator_alternator_amps = 65
    engine_generator_map = 1,1,1,1
    electric_always_available = 1

Ok, it was 0 in the cfg file, will give it a whirl. Anything about the radio?

Update: chaning the swith in the cfg file to 1 is definitely a keeper. Now back to fixing the radio chatter and HUD, not to mention to 2D or was I incorrect about the 2D pit?

Ok, it was 0 in the cfg file, will give it a whirl. Anything about the radio?

Update: chaning the swith in the cfg file to 1 is definitely a keeper. Now back to fixing the radio chatter and HUD, not to mention to 2D or was I incorrect about the 2D pit?
    Just flew from March down to North Island using the AP and GPS. Everything is working for me. Chatted with ATC the whole trip. This was with a fresh 2.2 install from yesterday after uninstalling and scraping off previous beta/updates.

Are you loading up the C-17 first or do you load something else and then load the C-17. Probably doesn't matter but you never know. Also, are you starting from a saved flight plan or something default. Just wondering if something is getting preset before the C-17 is loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Just flew from March down to North Island using the AP and GPS. Everything is working for me. Chatted with ATC the whole trip. This was with a fresh 2.2 install from yesterday after uninstalling and scraping off previous beta/updates.

Are you loading up the C-17 first or do you load something else and then load the C-17. Probably doesn't matter but you never know. Also, are you starting from a saved flight plan or something default. Just wondering if something is getting preset before the C-17 is loaded?
    There is a default saved flight plan when FSX starts, taking me from McChord to Honolulu. My default aircraft is the CS B52 and the radios and chatter work from the beginning. I switched from the C17 to the Aerosoft F-22 and got the radio chatter and IFR clearences. However, moving back to the C-17, no radio chatter and no capability to chat with ATC. I know in some planes it means the radio are off, so turned on the radio in the overhead console and its on in the UFC next to the HUD. They all show the freqs but there is no ability to transmit or receive, with this particular bird. Thoughts/suggestions?

Matt

In regards to starting with her, I do start from the FSX menu with the C-17 and stil nothing.

Also noticed my back up artificial horizon does not work either. I also start her using Ctl- E, if that matters. I just double checked the Virtavia website and it does indeed state there is a 2D cockpit available.

Lots of little bugs but absolutely glad I finally purchased this one. I feel confident that they will get resolved.

Matt

Matt,

Granted there may be a few little bugs, but sometimes ya' just gotta say "WTF"

This had been hanging long enough and we just felt it was time to get her done, get her out, and move on.

open up the panel.cfg.

what does it show for [window00] (just the top portion without the gauges)?

On the artificial horizon, make sure you have it uncaged (left click or mouse wheel).

Videre Vincere Est

Icon5

After reading all in this thread i can still officially claim a "..you made me do it, you bastards!..".

I crossed the line and purchased the bird!

And what fun it is!

Hehehehehehe!

Attachment 39899

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

So, is anyone else not able to receive or transmit radio traffic? If everyone else is able to send and receive, are you doing anything else when starting her up? As stated earlier, I use CTL-E and generally that turns everything on.

As for the artificial horizon, I will try to unlock it. I just overlooked that part of doing so, but there are other birds that require you to uncage them as well.

Ultimately, if I can just get the radio comms straight, will absolutely not complain any further. Also, does anyone else have the 2D cockpit? I just want to ensure my install isn't dorked up. If everyone else has 2D and radio comms, then it's absolutely something I am doing wrong. It is most definitely one of my most entertaining purchases this year, along with the Wilco Harrier.

Matt

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 45