The Douglas DC2 in the London Melbourne race (movie by John MacKay)

Thread: The Douglas DC2 in the London Melbourne race (movie by John MacKay)

The Douglas DC2 in the London Melbourne race (movie by John MacKay)

Hi All,

John MacKay made a great video of the adventurous flight the Douglas DC2 made in 1934, during the London Melbourne race. He followed the data from the Diary kept by one of the passengers, Mr. Domenie.
    You can read that here: http://www.avsim.com/hangar/flight/d..._Diary_eng.htm
    Not only the Uiver story is covered, also the most spectacular events from other contestants are not forgotten.
    Anyway, enjoy the movie of the Uiver, brought to you by Jonh MacKay and the "UIVER" Team
    (rightclick to watch on Vimeo direct, if it's a bit slow)
    <object width="400" height="225">

<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=24094361&server=vimeo.com&sh ow_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=00a def&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></object>Uiver movie VO from John MacKay on Vimeo.

Many thanks to John (X_eidos2), who kept going at the project for a long time, surprising me at regular intervals with new scenes. My hat off to you, Sir, :salute:

Cheers, Rob Cappers
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Speaking of the DC-2, there's a new review over at Avsim:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0511/Flight1/DC2.html
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Stunningly well done. A true delight.
    -Mike

Brilliant! A true masterpiece. Thoroughly enjoyable. :salute:
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

That's an amazing video, John! Unbelievable how much time and effort must have gone into it

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

From the time Rob first contacted me about making the video till the time it was posted up on YouTube was about 10 months. During that time there were a few changes in the world of flight sim videos that allowed the video to be made. First - YouTube expanded the time limit on how long uploaded videos could be from 10 minutes to greater than 15 minutes. Second - FS recorder module was upgraded to include the ability to render a video during playback of a recorded flight

For future videos I hope to use some of the new technology that's coming out for making motion-capture animation files using simple video and the Kinect controller. Of course if I ever get to make a video with a budget, I could use live-actors in front of a green screen. :-)

The most interesting thing I learned on this project didn't get seen at all. That's the cost of licensing rights. Early on in the research stage I found a video about the MacRobertson race based on MovieTone newsreels posted by a guy named "BomberGuy" This guy claimed the video was now in public domain since the event took place over 70 years ago. I had my doubts about his claims and I thought having a copy of the newsreel without Bomberguy's logo in corner would make a nice part of the Uiver video. I contacted MovieTone and found out that a copy of the news reel and the rights to have it in a video published on the internet would be over $900. Not having a budget for the video, I decided to make a 3d version of the newsreel instead. To get music for the newsreel I tried to contact a company that had a vast library of music, including newsreels from the 1930's, only to find out that because I wasn't some big production company, they wouldn't even reply to my e-mails. I contacted the Australian broadcasting company about using an image of the fellow who made the radio announcement to get people to take their cars to the Albury racetrack. That would have cost $600. So you end up seeing a Poser character instead.

Sorry, I just had to bump this post.
    John put so much effort into it, it just deserves a bit more attention.

Bye, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Agreed.
    Interesting about the license fees...from the 30s...everyone seems out to make a buck from everyone else
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Blog Entries
    EXCELLENT!!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam