engine start sequense

Thread: engine start sequense

engine start sequense

does it mater how you do it?.....well i mean where is engine one and engine two?..port/starboard?

when i set up my controler i allways make engine one the left or port engine...but i was watching some videos today and they were starting the starboard engine first......any help?

well heck..what i asking..is which engine is first to start not number one.....

god i confuse myself sometimes......idiot

Usually, the engine on the left is #1, and then to the right in sequence.

On my plane (a two holer), the left is #1, and the right is #2. Normally, we start #2 first, but there are exceptions. On the first flight of the day for a particular plane, we start #1 first to check a few things in the fuel system. There's a few other situations, but kind of lengthy in explaining.

In light GA aircraft it is typically the pilot's preference unless specified in the POH. when I was doing my multi, we typically started #1 first...if #1 was being cranky we would move over to #2, get it started then have the help of the #2 generator to start #1. I think if you are in a cabin class aircraft you may wish to start the engine on the opposite side of the door...you can do a quick turnaround and keep and engine going if you chose too. If you are getting a jump from the ground crew they typically prefer you start the engine on the opposite side of the ground power port first
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

With twin engines, number 1 is the port engine, number 2 is the starboard engine.
    With four engines, number 1 is port outboard, number 2 is port inboard, number 3 is starboard inboard, number 4 is starboard outboard.

As stated above, starting sequence varies. If an aircraft does not have generators installed on all of the engines, then you definitely need to start an engine that does have a generator first. Most vintage multi-engine aircraft have a starting sequence listed in the pilot's manual. The sequence is generally starboard engines first.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

As usually is the case, there are always exceptions. On the T-38A/C for example, mandated proceedure is to start #1 (port) engine first, then #2.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

The four holer that I fly (747-400) we used to start 3-4 simultaneously then 1-2 simultaneously. Someone in a desire for "Change" (Cirica 2009) modified the start sequence to 4-1 simultaneously then 2-3 simultaneously. You can.... start all four at once.... Gonzo APU!

Four is always a first to start in this plane due to hydraulic system setup (read brakes....).

As mentioned, systems may dictate the optimum start sequence. Or cranky engines....

T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    You can.... start all four at once.... Gonzo APU!

T
    Lol. The APU can start all at once on my jet, also. It's very handy sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    Lol. The APU can start all at once on my jet, also. It's very handy sometimes.
    On the Lynx you can disengage the #1 engine from the gearbox* so it'll drive the hyd pumps and generators without the rotors turning.
    In the UK most airfields (i.e. non-military helicopter ones) don't like you refuelling with an engine running, the solution to which is to claim you've only left the 'APU' running. For some reason no one ever asks 'Why does your APU appear to be one of your engines?'.

This is something of a concern as the battery in the naval version of the Lynx is good for about one start so if you f*** up it's very embarrassing. The army version can get away with a bigger battery as they don't have to carry radars and stuff...

*Not exactly true, it actually runs the front bit of the gearbox just not the rotors.

On German WWII twins starbord is 1 and port is 2, starboard engine driving the hydraulics and/or generator system thus being started first.
    Mathias

Charter Member 2014 HighGround22's Avatar
    For twin-engined aircraft, the rational I always understood -- other considerations aside -- was starboard (2) first, then the port (1) job.

The thinking behind this was that the pilot could not *see* number 2 very well, but at least he could be assisted in the start by hearing the start-up -- or he could hear any problems therewith. Assisting copilot notwithstanding, of course.

So once #2 was churning along nicely, he could then look out and "eyeball"#1 as it started-up.

So if I'm starting-up a C-47, say, then it's #2 first, then #1.
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?