Wombat's Pacific Tour
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wombat's Pacific Tour

Wombat's Pacific Tour

Alright then. Looks as if I have a slightly different plan than the rest of you. Starting at RPMQ for a quick hop over to RPMD.

Made it to my first landing

Arrived at RPMD after fighting some pretty heavy low level turbulance from a building thunderstorm. I hope this isn't a bad time to start this run, lol. Quick refuel and I'm off for WABB.

Arrived Frans Kaisiepo

Just landed at WABB, flew through some bad thunderstorms after departure, but otherwise a smooth, all be it boring, flight. Acquired my beacon to the minute of my calculations. Gonna stretch my legs while they refuel my plane, then I'm off down the coast. Had a slight duenna mishap before taking off. Forgot to turn off the auto baton pickup while I taxied to my take off position, ooops! Not sure if it matters, I aborted that "flight" and I'm posting those just in case. Won't do that again.

Getting with the program

I suppose I should start posting properly. I'm taking off from WABB heading for WAJJ

Made it safe to Sentani

Landed at WAJJ safe and sound. Damn airport is in a bowl in FSX.

Arrived at Boram

Landed safely at AYWK, but man those jungle trees are tall in X. Think I'll rest here for a while.

I figured this might draw you out!

Good luck Ed ... [whew, glad he ain't flying transports]

Squeeze off a couple of screenies of that "B" model when you can.

salt_air

SOH Staff
    hey Ed,
    from the looks of it so far,
    you and i have the same plan.
    i hope we made the right choice.
    whack down those trees for me,
    will ya, please?

blue skies
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Another day of flying

Looks like the weather is cooperating this morning. What I thought would be tailwinds have been headwinds so far, at least they've been under 10 knots, and maybe by the time I get to my home stretch they'll be tailwinds Onward and upward, departing AYWK for GSP.

Landed at Gusup

Made it! This is one tough place to spot in FSX.

Off to Nadzab

Not even gonna refuel and leave GSP for AYNZ

Landed at Nadzab

Ok, short flight so I thought I'd just scream along at tree top level all the way into Nadzab. Until I got hit with turbulence that nearly toppled me into those trees. Grabbed a few hundred feet of altitude while I burned off the adrenalin spike and made a smooth landing on the long paved runway.

Off for Finschhafen

Still plenty of fuel on board, gonna shake that turbulence scared out of me and head off. Departing AYNZ for FIN

Scratch Finschhafen off the list

Landed at Finschhafen. Time to refuel and get ready for the next leg.

Cap Gloucester here I come

Refueled and heading from FIN to CPG.

Great progress, Wombat. Nice run down the valley to Nadzab!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Over half way there

Landed at Cape Gloucester. Puts me over the half way point in both required landings and calculated flight plan mileage. On to Kavieng and the Solomans next.

Departing for the Soloman Islands

Leaving CPG and heading for AYKV. Gonna take advantage of this great weather.

Damn sticky buttons

Funny thing happened on my way to Kavieng. I could have sworn I retracted my gear on take off, but after reaching my cruise altitude I noticed that I wasn't getting the right speed. Checked quick and found my gear hanging in the slipstream, damn it! Hit the lever and watched them cycle and sure enough my speed increased, and finally got a tailwind, sweet. Of course was on pins and needles when I came in to land wondering if my gear was gonna be ok. Landed safe with an extremely short turn to final. In fact I was still turning over the threshold

Down the back stretch

Gonna reload my plane just in case and then head on down to Rabaul. AYKV to AYTK

Time for some lunch

Down safe at Tokua. Feeling my blood sugar dropping so it's time for some food before continuing down the slot to Buka.

Back in the cockpit

Belly full and feeling re-energized I'm taking off form AYTK and heading for AYBK

Counting them down

Landed at Buka, only 4 more to go.

Off for Munda

Leaving AYBK for AGGM.