P-51D repaint ideas abound....

Thread: P-51D repaint ideas abound....

P-51D repaint ideas abound....

I can't wait till Warbirdsim puts out their P-51D paint kit so someone, maybe me, can do a couple of this era P-51D.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/revie...reviewrk_1.htm

I might be wrong...

...but isn't Warbirdsim the guys who made the P-51B/C model also...and intentionally never released a paintkit?

If I'm not getting them confused with someone else, I asked the same question, and the answer was along the lines of "Each airplane is designed to represent a specific serialed aircraft, and a repaint kit would make the model historically inaccurate". (Or something to that effect).

The bottom line I took away was that they wantto retain personal control of all repaints for that model, and have no intention of putting paintkits out to the masses. Hope I'm wrong, but that's what I think...pity, since it's a great looking bird.

Kent

P.S. I just went ot their website, and I could find no mention of a paintkit.

I have the same book, and am itching to go...I've done a few paints without a paintkit, but am holding them back at their request. But those coloured tails are tricky without a paintkit, getting the color right is a pain, especially if you're colorblind like me..
    now, if only they would make a model with the two dorsal and one belly antenna...but they're only interested in presently flying warbirds, John said that if one had been flying in this configuration, they would have made it.
    Things are awfully quiet on the wbs front recently, I wonder what they are up to, another warbird pack?
    Meanwhile, here's one I did:

And then there is the A2A p-51 to look forward to, that will undoubtedly include a paintkit, with the spit, they even released it before the model itself. Maybe they will include an Iwo Mustang? Scott? Please?
    I did a lot of 506th FG repaints for the old A2A P-51 if you're interested btw.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Right...

....That's what I thought. Pity, since they are nice looking models...the lack of a paintkit severely limits the appeal, however.

I agree-- the next best hope for a versatile P-51 with a paintkit is A2A's next Mustang release.

Kent

As I have stated several times here, a paintkit has been in the works, and it will be released when the very next product is released. Things are always quiet during the middle of projects. The time that has been invested in the paintkit, which covers every single one of the variants through both of the warbird-related P-51D products, and the coming product, is the reason why it has taken as long as it has, and cannot become available, yet.

(It's much easier when you only have one visual model or P-51D type model to cover for a paintkit, but the eventual paintkit will cover up to 20 models or more in total, so that whatever scheme you wish to paint, modern or historic, you can apply it to the best visual model/P-51D variant suited. Remember, that besides a perfect P-51D-30, or a P-51D-20 (with numerous differences between them), we have included the only available F-6D for FSX, the only tall-tailed P-51D's for FSX, the only P-51K for FSX, the only dual-seat P-51D's for FSX, and all of these variants, on top of the others not mentioned, require subtle changes between one texture format to the next.)

I've hinted a few times as to what will be included in the next product, and for those who have that book that is linked to at the beginning of this thread, it will come in handy (though with only one aspect of the product). We aren't 'only' interested in modern warbirds, as will be shown shortly. If you don't mind being 'teased' further, perhaps I can put up an image or two from the product, before it is released, though there is still a lot of work to be done.

And to hit on another topic, everyone who has seemed to have wanted a paintkit for the Warbirdsim P-51B/C's, has contacted me either through e-mail or through private message, and has gotten a copy of it. To date, I have sent out more than 20 download links for the paintkit.

...oh, and by the way, I have heard rumors that there is a restored P-51D which may be repainted this year in the markings of "KWITCHERBITCHIN"!

that's funny, I was asked to do a paint of 'the Enchantress' a while back, as one owner was considering restoring his aircraft in those colors. I wonder if we're talking about the same aircraft...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

This is one I'd like to see. The pilot is Robert Goebel. His plane was marked "Flying Dutchman". Bob passed away a few weeks ago. I met him several times. He was a great guy, very easy to talk to. He's on the left.

Well..

...that's good news...no clue what the rationale is behind waiting to release the paintkit(s) for current products until AFTER the next product is released (seems having some variants available is better than none). Also don't understand the value of "rationing" the paintkit (available by request only, and no mention of it [that I could see] on your website).

I'm certain both policies somehow make sense from your standpoint, though. Must be mighty special paintkits...

Cheers,

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    that's funny, I was asked to do a paint of 'the Enchantress' a while back, as one owner was considering restoring his aircraft in those colors. I wonder if we're talking about the same aircraft...
    Jan Kees, that was an initial plan of Jim Beasley's, but the project Mustang he had envisioned for this was sold to Dan Friedkin, and it is being restored as it once was, as "Frenesi". It is still Jim's plan to eventually have a P-51D painted as an Iwo-bird, perhaps The Enchantress, but also perhaps a different one he was looking at.

(Speaking of 'The Enchantress' - please let just that one be for now... )

The P-51D that is rumored to be possibly repainted as "KWITCHERBITCHIN", is owned by Tom Duffy, and is currently the one painted in Canadian colors as "City of Winnipeg".

Flying Dutchmen: I've done it for the A2A version, you should be able to find it here on SOH or avsim. Too bad to hear he's passed away, I really liked his book "Mustang ace".

Enchantress: It was actually Robert Grant, author of the book in the first post who asked me to do the Enchantress, to show to Jim Beasly. I actually adapted the paint for your bird, but I couldn't get the green tail to look right, so I deleted it again, John, no worries there...

Kent, you can leave the sarcasm behind...

The paintkits take time to produce, at least in the manner I produce them, time that I don't necessarily have to play around with (they've been liked in the past, for other company's products too, so I don't aim to change the way I present them). I'll try discussing the possibility of providing the paintkit for the D models on the site when the time comes, otherwise you'll know where to find me.

..and I for one can vouch for the quality of John's paintkits, I've been a fan since the first one.
    You just make them the way you like, there aren't any better ones (OK, together with the ones by Martin Catney from A2A).
    And no need to hurry, I don't have that much time at the moment anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    This is one I'd like to see. The pilot is Robert Goebel. His plane was marked "Flying Dutchman". Bob passed away a few weeks ago. I met him several times. He was a great guy, very easy to talk to. He's on the left.
    It's very sad to hear this! One of the 'greats' for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    ..and I for one can vouch for the quality of John's paintkits, I've been a fan since the first one.
    You just make them the way you like, there aren't any better ones (OK, together with the ones by Martin Catney from A2A).
    And no need to hurry, I don't have that much time at the moment anyway...
    Well the best thing I can say, is that both the paintkit and the upcoming product are the number one focuses right now at Warbirdsim, and will be the next things you see coming from the company.

And I fully agree about Martin's skills at texturing and putting together a superb paintkit! Always something to try and live up to.

Oooh...

I'm sorry, sir. No excuse, sir. Lighten up, son. Jeez...not trying to start a war

K.

Here are a couple of images of the first paintkit template finished, in the sim. On one of the layers on the fuselage/tail template, I am including a full selection of numbers, in the exact font-type, for the factory-applied tail number, hopefully making it a bit easier on the repainter to get the tail number presented properly. I hand drew them exactly as the real numbers are, and they are specifically the correct height & width. In the field though, some Mustangs had the tail number re-applied in a different stencil/font-type, so for those you will be on your own.

When released, there will be three main base texture templates, three main base alpha texture templates, and three main base spec texture templates, for each major variant. From one set, you will be able to activate and de-activate layers to get the preferred variant type you want to have recreated. There will also be a folder containing copies of the individual main bump-maps for each variant.

looking good!
    ...and looking very much like the numbers I drew myself.
    Funny that, I always used the USAAF serial stencil font for the serials of US aircraft, but your D was so good that I couldn't stand it anymore and made my own numbers...like you did. You can take that as a compliment!

here's an example of my numbers:

Thank you Jan Kees, and great job on your own work!

Speaking of P-51D 'warbirds', the population of airworthy P-51D's in the US is +1 already this year, with Ron Fagen's P-51D "Twilight Tear" completing restoration at Tri-State Aviation in North Dakota, just within the past few weeks. The aircraft is now back in Granite Falls, MN, with the rest of the Fagen Fighters collection (www.warhawksinc.com). This is the airframe which has been proven to be the actual original "Twilight Tear" of the Duxford-based 78th FG, and not seen in complete form since its crash in Iceland on its original ferry flight to the US in the 1950's. For those familiar with the other P-51D that was once painted as "Twilight Tear" in the UK, that particular airframe was found to actually be a P-51K that was once painted as "Fragile But Agile", a Pacific war vet, and now based in Texas with the Friedkin family collection of warbirds, it is painted and configured back as it originally was.

Look for this aircraft to be at Oshkosh this summer, where the original nose art will be applied while on display. From first-hand reports, it is a stunning restoration inside and out. Photos are courtesy of Warbird Digest Magazine.

Test pilot Kevin Eldridge at left, and owner/warbird pilot Ron Fagen at right.