FS9 Crashes! (Possible compatibility issues in Win7)

Thread: FS9 Crashes! (Possible compatibility issues in Win7)

FS9 Crashes! (Possible compatibility issues in Win7)

When I select the Century of Flight, News, Flying Lessons or try to set up a Flight Plan....my sim crashes. This is true across my 3 heavily modified and heavily populated installs and a stock, fresh from the install discs install. This has happened ever since migrating to Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Any ideas on how to fix this....don't care about the News, Century of Flight, or Flying Lessons, but being able to set up a flight plan would be nice.

Oh, FS9 also crashes about 75% of the time when I am exiting the program. That too is a bit annoying.

A bit more info....my installs are on a second drive...a 1T drive, D drive, just for my sims and Photoshop file and tweaking stuff.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Tim, you might try this...

Right click on your FS9 shortcut and select properties . In the new window that opens, select the tab named compatibility . Under Run this program in compatibility mode , tick the box and in the drop-down box, select the version of Windows that the game operated correctly on (ex: If it worked on Windows XP SP3, select Windows XP SP3). Then at the bottom, tick the box that says Run as an administrator .

Dunno if it will fix it, but worth a try..

Just applied those setting to the exe file in each install. Will test tomorrow. Got to finish cleaning my 30 gallon fish tank and get to bed.

OBIO

That seemed to fix it! Now sim doesn't crash on exit....and the flight log time thingie is working again. Haven't tried the flight planner yet, but I have high hopes that it too will be working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Another good thread for the Tips section! :ernae:
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Humm...

Very strange but I would not say it is a compatibly problem between FS9 and W7. I have been running mine for over a year now and it works great with everything.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Not a compatibility issue at all...just an issue of permissions. FS9 did not have the permission to write to the FS9.cfg and other various issues. Once I followed Astoroth's hints and set FS9 to run as Administrator, it now has the permission to make changes to files on the system...and can thus update the flight log files, the FS9.cfg, create the needed files for flight plans and such.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That makes sense and here is what you should do. Run as an Administrator is not necessary. Remove it then make this change.

The issue is that you do not have sufficient privileges.

Navigate to the FS9 directory.

Right click and select properties

Go to the Security tab

Look under the Group or User names field. I bet your user name that you use as your log on name is not on the list.

Click Edit

On the next pop up widow click Add

In the box marked "Enter the object names to select" type in your user name.

Click check names. It should append your computer name before your user name. This means it found the user.

ClickOK

Select your user name you just added and in the lower box click full control allow.

Click Apply (this might take awhile while it applies the permissions to all the sub folders)

Click OK

You should now be on the list with full control permissions to that folder and all sub folders.

Follow this procedure for any program that you will be running on your system that does not seem to be working correctly.

Doing this is better than running as administrator because it gives the program all the permissions it needs to run properly with out it being an Admin.

I plan to install FS9 on my wife's W7-64 lappy tomorrow, so I've just printed Dave's instructions. One thing I have also heard is that you can install it to a different folder outside the "protected" zone and it avoids all the security issues. Has anyone ever tried that?

Also, where can I expect to find my fs9.cfg?
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Tom

I have my installs on a secondary drive (D), well away from the UAC protected Programs folder on C drive and still had issues with my installs in terms of Flight Planner and a few other areas (Century of Flight). Never was able to get the problems totally fixed, even after following Dave's instructions. I pretty much gave up on getting these installs to run properly (heck, they all may have bad AFCADs or something for all I know....been moving these three installs from one HD to another for over a year now and from XP to Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my new system). I can't say that these problems are Win 7 related or simply due to the hap-hazard way I have been slinging these installs around.

The FS9 Date stuff...the hidden files....will be under the following directory in Win 7:

C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9

XXXXXX will be your user name on your system. And you will need to set the Show Hidden files/folders to see this directory structure.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Tim - I already found it and set a shortcut to the folder inside my root FS9 install. I also discovered that the App Data folder is in my "Tom" folder accessed from the desktop if I enable hidden files. But since I prefer to keep hidden stuff hidden, and I have a shortcut to the FS root folder on my desktop, it's not hard to get to when I need it.

The only thing I need to figure out now is a strange frame rate issue. If only sky or only ground is in view, I get good frames. But if the horizon is in view, my frames are at 5-7 fps. I still have my primary PC, but I'd like to figure out what's going on with this one.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Bump so it is easier to find

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I plan to install FS9 on my wife's W7-64 lappy tomorrow, so I've just printed Dave's instructions. One thing I have also heard is that you can install it to a different folder outside the "protected" zone and it avoids all the security issues. Has anyone ever tried that?
    When I got my current rig that runs W7-64Pro I had it set up with a drive partition that I use exclusively for FS. I never had any trouble with permissions or anything like that.

I read somewhere (almost certainly in this forum) that having FS on its own drive or in its own partition, with nothing else in there, makes it quicker and easier for FS to find stuff as you fly. I have no idea whether that's really so, but having it in a partition of its own gave me an installation with no trouble about permissions.

The guys who built this rig for me knew nothing about FS and they didn't do anything special about setting up permissions for me. I'd read about such issues but I figured that if anything like that came up, I'd just have them work on it as part of getting the bugs out of a new rig. As it happened, nothing like that ever came up.

Members +
    I apologise for duplicating ...
    Methinks that is a bit of an urban legend about not installing into default directories!!
    I have always installed into the default directories.. FS9 (2 versions), FSX, as well as P3D..
    I dropped my UAC settings right down (I really did not need it in Windows XP, & certainly not in W7 nor W8.1
    I'm not paranoid at all & never had a problem on about 4 years.
    I also believe that it makes life a lot easier as some installers look for default installations.
    Actually, has anyone had a problem by installing into default directories?

The problem is that Windows won't let the application make changes to the files within the protected folders, and UAC doesn't matter this case. There have been documented cases where people have all sorts of issues with changes not "sticking," such as adding a line to the scenery library, then it's gone the next time the Sim is started. In every case, installing to an outside, unprotected folder has fixed the issue.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home