FS9 Crashes! (Possible compatibility issues in Win7)

Thread: FS9 Crashes! (Possible compatibility issues in Win7)

Hybrid View

FS9 Crashes! (Possible compatibility issues in Win7)

When I select the Century of Flight, News, Flying Lessons or try to set up a Flight Plan....my sim crashes. This is true across my 3 heavily modified and heavily populated installs and a stock, fresh from the install discs install. This has happened ever since migrating to Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Any ideas on how to fix this....don't care about the News, Century of Flight, or Flying Lessons, but being able to set up a flight plan would be nice.

Oh, FS9 also crashes about 75% of the time when I am exiting the program. That too is a bit annoying.

A bit more info....my installs are on a second drive...a 1T drive, D drive, just for my sims and Photoshop file and tweaking stuff.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Tim, you might try this...

Right click on your FS9 shortcut and select properties . In the new window that opens, select the tab named compatibility . Under Run this program in compatibility mode , tick the box and in the drop-down box, select the version of Windows that the game operated correctly on (ex: If it worked on Windows XP SP3, select Windows XP SP3). Then at the bottom, tick the box that says Run as an administrator .

Dunno if it will fix it, but worth a try..

Just applied those setting to the exe file in each install. Will test tomorrow. Got to finish cleaning my 30 gallon fish tank and get to bed.

OBIO

That seemed to fix it! Now sim doesn't crash on exit....and the flight log time thingie is working again. Haven't tried the flight planner yet, but I have high hopes that it too will be working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Another good thread for the Tips section! :ernae:
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Humm...

Very strange but I would not say it is a compatibly problem between FS9 and W7. I have been running mine for over a year now and it works great with everything.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Not a compatibility issue at all...just an issue of permissions. FS9 did not have the permission to write to the FS9.cfg and other various issues. Once I followed Astoroth's hints and set FS9 to run as Administrator, it now has the permission to make changes to files on the system...and can thus update the flight log files, the FS9.cfg, create the needed files for flight plans and such.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 17