Question of the Day~03.29.11

Thread: Question of the Day~03.29.11

Question of the Day~03.29.11

I haven't posted one of these in a little while, so I'll start with an easy one...

What is the dumbest purchase you ever made?

1974 Mercury Capri.

A car cobbled together from 3 perfectly respectable automobile traditions, into one horrid conglomerate

Great U.S. V6 Engine
    Fantastic British drive train
    Wonderful Bosch electrics

Take the best of these and paste them together into one horrible driving and maintenance experience.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    1974 Mercury Capri.

A car cobbled together from 3 perfectly respectable automobile traditions, into one horrid conglomerate

Great U.S. V6 Engine

Take the best of these and paste them together into one horrible driving and maintenance experience.
    Yikes!!

I had to look it up online, since I was only 2 yrs old back then *smiles*

~1600 dollars or so on an ASUS gaming laptop. It died in a year and a half. :angryfir:

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    ~1600 dollars or so on an ASUS gaming laptop. It died in a year and a half. :angryfir:
    That was A LOT of money for a laptop....and on top of that, it goes kaput on you after 18 months. Not good!

SOH-CM-2020
    In the early 70's I bought a brand new Morris Marina.

Absolute crap.

The only way I could sell it several years later was to the company I'd originally purchased it from. No one else was interested.

Pete.

Some stock in a relatives business idea. Never, ever do that again. At least they lost more than I did.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    My First Triumph Motorcycle, ended up completely rebuilding it .
    Stripped to the frame and made it stock and new..
    But I had more in it then it could ever have been worth back then..
    Many years later, I sold her, and finally recovered most of my money..

I had the Harley "Scooter Bike" and the Triumph together for many years..
    Two motorcycle Rider..Hard to ride both at once..

And I shall admit, I wish I had just brought a new Harley instead of restoring a Triumph 1968 TR-6 650....

Traded a really nice 6 year old Chevy Vega that I'd rebuilt from the ground up even for a beat up, rusted out 65 Chevy pickup with no motor. Had it in my head that I wanted a truck for some reason. Should have just kept the Vega.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Hobbit, I've had a couple of Triumphs. My last bike was a 74 Trident 750 triple that I wish I still had.

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    A fleece chew toy......................YECH !!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Hey All,

Pet Rock

Ended up just a stones throw away

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9Gal View Post
    I haven't posted one of these in a little while, so I'll start with an easy one...

What is the dumbest purchase you ever made?
    Oh I can't resist this one... my dumbest purchase ever - an engagement ring, and I am still paying for it 31 years later...
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    1974 Mercury Capri.

Great U.S. V6 Engine

Now I had a 76 Capri - the "Black Cat" version I believe they called it, jet black with gold trim, it was a wonderful car. Mine had the 5 speed with the 2800 CC V6 and it went like stink. It was a demo when I bought it and I really loved that car, replaced it with a brand new 1981 Capri - that was the 2nd dumbest purchase I ever made (see previous post for #1) the 1981 model Capri was all North American and as much as I like North American produced goods they really did a lousy job on that car.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

1978 Citroen CX. Damned thing seemed to be in love with the mechanic, it visited him every freakin month until it died aged 8 years old in the crusher.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Just remembered a purchase that I've regretted. Several years ago I bought a Ruger pistol in the same caliber as my deer rifle (44-40) with the idea of being able to shoot the same ammo in both. Much to my dismay, Ruger used a non-standard barrel size in it and regular ammo was very inaccurate. I could handload ammo oversized to fit the Ruger, but then it wouldn't work in my rifle. So, the pistol sits in my gun safe. About $400 wasted.

mine.... well mine is on my conscience... i had quit smoking (YAY!) went down to my local corner shop, picked up my newspaper took it to the counter and autopilot kicked in "just this, and 20 L&B please mate", before autopilot was disengaged i had a cigarette in my mouth and lit... (BUGGER! all that work for nothing)

non conscience related... one would probably be a USB Cup & warmer... the amount of times i've knocked the bugger over and either a)Burnt myself, b)had to clean/dry the keyboard c)forgotten to plug it in and keep my brew warm.. usually happens in an A,C,B order... bloody thing, why did i bother....

1973 AMC Gremlin. No other comments as there are ladies in the house.

Bob
    CPU: Intel i7-5960X OC 4.5
    MOBO: Asus X99 Deluxe
    RAM: 16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2800
    GPU: Asus STRIX GeForce GTX980
    PSU: SeaSonic X850
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (FS9)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (FSX)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    HDD: WD 7200 Black 1TB
    CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo (white)
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Quote Originally Posted by rpjkw View Post
    1973 AMC Gremlin. No other comments as there are ladies in the house.

Bob

That was probably the most accurately named car ever built, they were just that "GREMLINS", mind you I loved the things, I was a mechanic when they were popular and I made more off of them than any other single model of car...lol
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FSX..........

The Capri did look nice though......

.....sitting there, in the parking lot for months on end. It's life's blood dripping onto the pavement.....
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Members who have read this thread: 0