CLS Piper Arrow for FREE.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLS Piper Arrow for FREE.

Cool CLS Piper Arrow for FREE.

saw this in the FSX forum, seems to be for FS9 too, looking into it.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...w-now-for-free

Jamie

I picked it up. It's a great plane and flys well. I did change the prop texture though.

Hey thanks for the heads-up Jamie!:ernae:
    The Arrow was the first fixed-wing aircraft I got to fly in back in my mis-spent youth(Okay, it was the T-tailed Arrow IV but this is close enough)

Downloading very slowly now.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks for pointing this one out Jamie, now to fix the prop textures ... Mike :ernae:

Here is a better prop texture, not perfect, but better than the default .... Mike :salute:

Downloaded, installed, experienced CTD every time I exited a flight. Not very impressed with the visual model anyway, I can live without this one !!

It's not bad but there are a few bugs in it; namely the tachometer going at 3500 rpm at full throttle and the fuel flow registering somewhere around 6600 gph. I've tweaked the cfg file to show it at 200hp and maximum RPM at 2700; also made a modded sound file (default c172 with default Mooney gear sounds)
    According to the AvSim Review the roll rate didn't seem right and it does indeed seem sluggish but that can be fixed with reducing the roll MOI figure in the cfg file. I'll do more research before tinkering with that however.
    Bottom line: Yes, it is flawed, but it is fixable. I'll probably be working on this for quite some time and that works with me.
    BTW, thank you very much for the prop texture Flyboy208. Looks great! :ernae:

I flew it for a few minutes today and agree that the MOI's feel like they're a bit on the huge side, though I haven't peeked at the numbers yet. I'll run the geometry through the formulas from the SDK later tonight and post the results. But for now, I'm just finishing supper and need to do a little more homework...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I use the Carenado Piper 180 Prop texture. It's the correct color and has the correct white tips.
    I changed the aileron effectiveness to aileron_effectiveness = 1.0 This makes for a nice roll rate.
    I also use the Lycoming soundpack created by Gary Jones.

As promised, here's the MOI's that the Container SDK recommends (with the originals commented out at the end of each line):

empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 895.43338 //8290
    empty_weight_roll_MOI = 642.99465 //6020
    empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 1232.28216 //11680
    empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0

As you can see, they were a "bit" in the heavy side. Lightening these up improved taxi handling, but made in flight it was "pitchy dawg!" I've turned up the tuning section's pitch stability to 1.5, but haven't taken her back up yet. If anyone else has any other tweaks, don't be afraid to post them here.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Here are my Shockwave mods for those also addicted to these awesome lights. If ya think the landing light is too bright, just add "_small" to the end of the effect on light.6

[LIGHTS]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
    light.0 = 3, -8.55, -14.59, 1.10, fx_shockwave_navred
    light.1 = 3, -8.55, 14.59, 1.10, fx_shockwave_navgre
    light.2 = 2, -8.55, -14.59, 1.10, fx_shockwave_strobe
    light.3 = 2, -8.55, 14.59, 1.10, fx_shockwave_strobe_2
    light.4 = 1, -21.70, 0.00, 6.60, fx_shockwave_beacon
    light.5 = 4, -7.40, 0.00, 2.65, fx_shockwave_vclight,
    light.6 = 5, 0.8, 0.0, -0.2, fx_Shockwave_landing_light

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, I've tweaked the contact points to get a more realistic "tire squash" - a highly technical term.

point.0 = 1, -1.365, 0.000, -3.15, 3000, 0, 0.433, 45.0, 0.500, 2.5, 0.65, 6.0, 6.0, 0, 0, 150
    point.1 = 1, -9.064, -5.295, -3.15, 3000,1, 0.433, 0.0, 0.500, 2.5, 0.60, 6.0, 6.0, 2, 0, 150
    point.2 = 1, -9.064, 5.295, -3.15, 3000, 2, 0.433, 0.0, 0.500, 2.5, 0.60, 6.0, 6.0, 3, 0, 150
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

Thanks for the heads up, and Thank You CLS!!!!

I have commited the cardinal sin and adjusted the contact points as mentioned above, without making a backup of the aircraft CFG.Now the aircraft crashes when i load it, which it did'nt before i modded the CFG, so could somebody please post the original contact points please.

Regards Paul Day.

Please disregard my last post, i got my + and - mixed up.

Regards Paul Day.

"Please disregard my last post, i got my + and - mixed up."

I reckon a six foot change might do that :isadizzy: Not to worry. I tread with much fear and trepidation every time I venture into the world of contact points -- especially when the developer uses 5 or 6 decimal places to express a value.
    Racartron

a little something i started... OH-PDG (ICAO24: 4627F0) a Finnish Piper Archer, almost done just the wings to do then you lot can get your mitts on her...

ok, OH-PDG is done, expect link shortly, just uploading to my site for you all...

That is soooo pretty. Cleared off a spot on the ramp -- 'cause the doggone hanger is full and the steel for the next one is still on the road.
    Racartron

ok should be downloadable now: HERE

Hope you all enjoy her...

Great job, Smoothie!

The black dash lends a touch of elegance to this livery.
    Racartron

Been There, Done That

I tried the CLS freebie, but I still prefer the old Arrow III by Warren Baier, available at flightsim.com
    With some panel tweaks, it looks and flies great. It's the oldest plane I have, and on the lower end of the VC quality scale, but it's still great, at least for me. I think it looks better than the Arrow II with tapered wings and a longer fuselage. I mention it for your consideration. Perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Wow, talk about some coeenkidinks......just the other night I was on the hunt for a decent PA28. Found one that was okay...but I now have the freeware CLS and the Warren Baier models to check out. Really never gave much thought to this line of aircraft, but I was looking at the AI PA28-180 as it taxi'd by me and really like the shape of the plane.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smoothie

I tried to download your beautiful skin for the CLS Piper...but I get a warning that your site is a reported attack site. Could you shoot me a copy of the skin via Skype or E-mail?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Since I earned my wings in a PA28-161 and my IFR rating in a PA28-181 I was part owner in the low wing 4 cylinder Piper trainers have had a solid spot in my hangars.
    I could never get the CLS freeware plane to install on W7 despite downloading the file a couple of times and trying just about every trick I know to make installers work.

Fairly early on I stumbled upon Rien Cornellison ( think I got the last name right ) creations that covered the entire range. I did have to tweak the CFG a tiny bit to make sure the Archer flew exactly like the real 8DC so that I could do much of my IFR practice in the sim.

Between Carenado on FSD I have my current Saratoga covered nicely in FS as well....so I guess it's easy to see I like that shape as well

Cheers
    Stefan