OT: V.J. Day in Honolulu, Hawaii

Thread: OT: V.J. Day in Honolulu, Hawaii

OT: V.J. Day in Honolulu, Hawaii

A friend of mine just sent me this, and I had to pass it along. It's a video produced from scanned 16mm film footage showing the celebrations in Honolulu when it was announced that the Japanese had surrendered, ending WWII. Not only is it in beautiful color, but it's so fresh and immediate, you'd swear it just happened. Very moving.

http://vimeo.com/5645171

Thanks for the link Bill, I quite enjoyed that

Videre Vincere Est

Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    A friend of mine just sent me this, and I had to pass it along. It's a video produced from scanned 16mm film footage showing the celebrations in Honolulu when it was announced that the Japanese had surrendered, ending WWII. Not only is it in beautiful color, but it's so fresh and immediate, you'd swear it just happened. Very moving.

http://vimeo.com/5645171
    Thanks for sharing, Spotlope!

Excellent vid.

Like to forward this link to all Dutch political parties that think cutting back on defense budget (especially in times like today) is a good thing to do! I hope this reminds them of a time when the outcome was good, and about the costs it took to make that outcome right!
    And i hope this awakenes them if they consist in their idea's of pacifism and disarmament (and close their eyes for things to come), this might be the last time they are in liberty to watch at movies like these, of victory and freedom! Perhaps they learn! Freedom ain't free!

:salute:

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Great quality for 60 year old 16mm colour film stock. very atmospheric...thanks for sharing.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I've seen this vid before but will never tire of seeing it again. It is a moment in history captured with the help of beautiful color film. Thanks to Bill and to Richard Sullivan for sharing this wonderful bit of history with us.

In keeping with the Pearl Harbor theme have a look here at this month's news from the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. They have brought forth the one, if not the only survivor of the December 7th attack. This aircraft was actually sitting on the ramp during the attack. That fact blows my mind. This plane was truely a witness to history.

Hopefully this link is active: http://blog.nasm.si.edu/2011/03/09/t...r-hazy-center/

Thanks for the HU, enjoyed it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    I've seen this vid before but will never tire of seeing it again. It is a moment in history captured with the help of beautiful color film. Thanks to Bill and to Richard Sullivan for sharing this wonderful bit of history with us.

In keeping with the Pearl Harbor theme have a look here at this month's news from the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. They have brought forth the one, if not the only survivor of the December 7th attack. This aircraft was actually sitting on the ramp during the attack. That fact blows my mind. This plane was truely a witness to history.

Hopefully this link is active: http://blog.nasm.si.edu/2011/03/09/t...r-hazy-center/
    Thanks for pointing that one out. It is unfortunate that there are no actual plans to restore it right now.

The National Air and Space Museum
    March 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm

The JRS-1 is complete but needs extensive restoration, particularly the interior. There are no established plans to begin restoration in the immediate future. The JRS-1 was moved to the Mary Baker Engen Restoration Hangar so that the visiting public will be able to view the artifact, a Pearl Harbor survivor, once the facility opens to the public later this year.

Blog Entries
    Theres another set of films by Ken burns called "The War" which beautifully complements and gives meat to this film.. Its not about the fighting or anything, its a series about the people of four american cities during the war, and how the war effected them. I just watched the first episode last night. Its incredibly well done, and quite poignant..
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Theres another set of films by Ken burns called "The War" which beautifully complements and gives meat to this film.. Its not about the fighting or anything, its a series about the people of four american cities during the war, and how the war effected them. I just watched the first episode last night. Its incredibly well done, and quite poignant..
    Pam
    Thanks for the suggestion, Pam. The home front gets a lot less air time than combat footage, but I'd be very interested in learning more about what was happening back in the states. I have my grandmother's WWI ration card sitting on a table near my desk - it's a sobering reminder of the hardships people had to live with daily, and makes me realize how good we've got it now.

Charter Member 09
    The same scene was seen in every city and town in the USA. Maybe not so many sailors but we really celebrated. - A lot of hangovers the next morning.
    The Ken Burns was a good effort but failed in a lot of respects.
    It failed to show what a seacoast town put up with. Blackout curtains, hooded street lights, the top half of the car headlghts blanked off. The air raid wardens, the constant air raid drills, the buckets of sand in every school room to put out thermite bombs.
    Of course the almost daily reminder of smoke on the horizon, as another ship was sunk by a U-boat.. He unfortunately skipped all over that.
    He also had a lot of trivia mistakes in his documentary. But considering that he was born 8 years after VJ Day, he didn't do too bad.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

Very poignant piece spotlope. . .I couldn't help but think about how that would have played out in todays society. There would have had to be a meeting to decide how many people would actually be permitted to participate in the "spontaneity", not to mention the fact that everyone would be required to remain in the cars at all times. Those wishing to be out of their vehicles would have to be stationed on a flatbed trailer with proper guardrails and seated at all times. Vehicle speeds would be limited to 15mph throughout the parade route and equally spontaneous onlookers would be required to remain behind the police barriers at all times. Of course city ordinances would prohibit any liquor from being consumed by anyone and those who saw fit to disregard that would be issued citations on the spot. . .possibly causing the "spontaneius celebration" to be curtailed until the city council could take the matter up at their regularly scheduled meeting on the 3rd Thursday of the month. . . .and so on and so forth, lol.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

That was a great video!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I Really enjoyed that,Thanks!:salute:

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post

Not the only survivor of that day, Mal. Duxford's airworthy P-40B was there too, albeit in a hangar being repaired after a wheels-up landing. She was assigned to 6<sup>th</sup> Pursuit Squadron of the 18<sup>th</sup> Pursuit Group, I believe at Wheeler Field.

One of my photos of her...

More info...

http://fighter-collection.com/pages/...-40b/index.php

She's a beauty and a treasure!

Might have to go fly my 'B' model now.