Win 7, 64bit FSX question

Thread: Win 7, 64bit FSX question

SOH-CM-2023

Win 7, 64bit FSX question

A friend bought an hp pc with i5 cores, 64 bit and turbo. He cannot run FSX in Win 7, 64 bit.
    It seems FSX runs for some users here at SOH in Win 64 bit. Is there a congiguration in the
    boot that can turn off turbo to solve this problem or is this friend stuck with a PC
    incapable of running FSX in Win 7, 64bit.

Your friend should read this thread carefully, and turn UAC of.
    I run FSX also with W7 Ultimate 64bit.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru...how-to-tune-it

Michael

I've not had problems with UAC, but I did have crashes when I tried to turn off the menu sound from the sound menu. If I disable it by clicking on the speaker icon on the main screen it's fine, but if I deselect the interface sounds then it crashes eventually.

I do run it with my profile set to have full authority to the FSX folder. I don't think that's strictly necessary though.

turbo is definiitely not causing his problems though. I run an i7-960 with speedstep, turbo and everything else enabled and it's fine.

If he really wants to turn off turbo then he may be able to do that in the BIOS.

I have not had any problems with FSX under Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. One thing I did when I installed FSX was to install to a directory/folder of my own making....outside of the normal Window's Programs folder...that way I can avoid the entire UAC stuff. I installed FSX on a dedicated 1Terrabyte HD that is used for my sims (3 installs of FS9, with 2 more installs of FS9 to come, FSX, all my mesh and scenery, my Photoshop files).

As far as turning UAC off....not really necessary if you install your sims and other games to folders other than the normal Windows Program folders. I have NOTHING installed to the default Programs folder. The UAC is still there, doing what it was meant to do...act as a safety measure against unauthorized changes to your system/programs....but does not have any power over my sims and games. I can tweak and modify my sims to my liking without ever having to give UAC my okay to do what I just did.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks Mike,Andy and OBIO for your responses. I'll pass these along to my friend.
    Jim

OBIO,Have you installed any FTX/Orbx scenery or Airports?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Patrick

Members who have read this thread: 0