The "let there be light" thread

Thread: The "let there be light" thread

The "let there be light" thread

As the unofficial lights nut of the forum I've noticed that there's obviously a need for light, exhaust, you get the point, effects for a lot of aircraft being - or having been - released. I've made quite a few more of them as personal projects than what have seen the light (pun fully intended) and some sent to the uploaders have just been lost or forgotten about on the way. So in order to increase the chance of getting lights for what you want them for...

...POST THEM HERE. Far easier to see what's needed when everything is in one place.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful, Thanks very Much..
    Can I get some pink and purple lights, you know how a Hobbit is sometimes....
    OOOPPS. well maybe not..

Thanks for this, it is nice to have pretty lights.. :ernae:
    WOW the Colors!!! :isadizzy:

Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    As the unofficial lights nut of the forum I've noticed that there's obviously a need for light, exhaust, you get the point, effects for a lot of aircraft being - or having been - released. I've made quite a few more of them as personal projects than what have seen the light (pun fully intended) and some sent to the uploaders have just been lost or forgotten about on the way. So in order to increase the chance of getting lights for what you want them for...
    ...POST THEM HERE. Far easier to see what's needed when everything is in one place.
    Rene, thought I would share with you this post I put up on the internal forum for Ted and James relative to the TOW project. TOW will feature all new airfield lighting and I believe none of the aircraft will be equipped with nav or landing lights as they were not used.

However there will be a huge demand for accurate and effective gun sight and instrument panel lighting. I have just done a new panel for the HE-219 that works perfectly. I will be developing a new set of interior panel light effects for TOW. I currently do not have ETO installed as I had a major PC crash and lost everything a week or two ago. When I get back up I would like to invite you to help me with the completion of interior panel and gun sight lighting for those TOW aircraft designated by Ted.

It is my recommendation that all of the nav and landing lights be removed from the TOW aircraft in order to utilize effective cockpit lighting. Interior gun sight and panel lighting are much more important for realistic and historically accurate night combat missions.
    Best Regards
    Steve
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............
    Guys,

Before my PC went down I was conducting some tests to determine what effects were causing the aircraft panel lights to flicker so badly as to render them almost unusable.

The main culprit is the effect "lighting" mainly reflected light. My tests with other particle and muzzle flash effects were not revealing any major impact on the interior panel lights.

The really weird thing is that the source of the reflected light does not even have to be in close proximity to the interior panel light to cause a problem.

To be sure I performed a test with the HE-219 that I just completed with panel lights and here are some pretty interesting finds.

1. When I put nav lights on the HE-219 the panel lights began to flicker immediately as soon as the nav lights came on. This was caused by the tiny amount of reflected light built in to each wing tip and tail light located far away from the panel.

2. The old runway/taxi light effect which uses the muzzle flash has some reflected light built in to them to light up your aircraft if you get close to them. When I tried to fly the newly lighted HE-219 off and old ETO lighted runway without nav lights and it went crazy with flicker.

3. I built all new runway and taxi lights and then flew the HE-219 from the new runway using a new particle effect and with no reflected light built in to the effect and the HE-219 performed flawlessly.

FLAK Tests
    .................................................. ....................................
    A while back in ETO someone asked for flak that would provide a momentary flash of light that would illuminate your cockpit when a shell exploded nearby. These ETO flak shells contain a reflected light effect that drives the panel lights nuts.

My recommendation would be to eliminate the cockpit light up effect from the flak shells as it is overdone and not needed, as a matter of fact it would be a distraction in TOW night missions.

Reflected light from air flares

These cause the same problem as flak shells but we have to have the reflected light for illumination effect. I am looking at alternatives.

Gun muzzle flash

These do not seem to have much effect on panel lights but many need to be toned down as the ones in stock,MAW and ETO are way to bright and too large for real scale. Also many night fighters used mzzzle flash suppression devices

In summary it is possible to build panel lights with no flicker if we make a few small changes to existing effects. I tried flying TOW with the stock panel light and could not see a darn thing outside the aircraft. You really need panel lights for maximum player immersion in TOW.

Steve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    I am working on TOW Missions today for Steve and the Team..
    I wish to Thank You for your wonderful efforts in this area, to improve our beloved sims..
    BRAVO..
    :salute: :salute: :salute:

And to all who strive to improve our flying pleasure Thanks..
    :salute: :salute: :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    Can I get some pink and purple lights, you know how a Hobbit is sometimes....
    For all you know I might just be bored enough to try that out...

Quote Originally Posted by O-1Driver View Post
    When I get back up I would like to invite you to help me with the completion of interior panel and gun sight lighting for those TOW aircraft designated by Ted.
    I'm certainly interested. The last time I did cockpit lights was when ETO hadn't even been released but I doubt the system has changed so the skill should be still there. Having them work properly would be a great advantage, it brings a great deal of immersion into the flying.

Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    For all you know I might just be bored enough to try that out...

I'm certainly interested. The last time I did cockpit lights was when ETO hadn't even been released but I doubt the system has changed so the skill should be still there. Having them work properly would be a great advantage, it brings a great deal of immersion into the flying.
    Rene, thanks very much will get the forum and FTP info to you.

Steve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar

Question

This sounds great... I've always thought the red panel light effect was weird as well as overdone... Wouldn't it be great to have a dimmer(?) (wishful thinking) Does anyone think it possible to only illuminate the select gauge or two?

Made in France

Dancat Fw190 lights...

Here are some lines for the external light effects with our best Fw190 model :

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_green" PosX="5.26" PosZ="1.00" PosY="0.00" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_red" PosX="-5.26" PosZ="1.00" PosY="0.00" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_tail" PosX="0" PosZ="-5.46" PosY="0.12" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_landing" PosX="-1.48" PosZ="1.80" PosY="-0.39" MinVel="0.6" MaxVel="59"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_landing_effect" PosX="-1.48" PosZ="1.81" PosY="-0.39" MinVel="1.2" MaxVel="59"></Effect>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.56" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.13" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.56" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.13" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.59" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.03" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.59" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.03" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.62" PosZ="1.76" PosY="-0.07" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.62" PosZ="1.76" PosY="-0.07" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.63" PosZ="1.76" PosY="-0.17" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.63" PosZ="1.76" PosY="-0.17" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>

Cheers
    Free French Designer - Alain95
    North American planes addict

Blog Entries

Wink

Some nice light and exhaust shots of fs9 Sea Fury FB11 by David Hanvey and Paul Barr:salute:
    Attachment 33548Attachment 33551Attachment 33550Attachment 33549
    CHEERS

I am using these effects for the fw_190a_8z but the exhaust fumes dont seem wright:
    <Effects>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_r"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>
    <Effect Type="Shells0" EffectName="fx_shells_m" Location="gun_grp0b0"/>
    <Effect Type="Shells1" EffectName="fx_shells_m" Location="gun_grp1b0"/>
    <Effect Type="Shells2" EffectName="fx_shells_m" Location="gun_grp2b0"/>
    <Effect Type="Shells3" EffectName="fx_shells_m" Location="gun_grp3b0"/>
    <Effect Type="Shells4" EffectName="fx_shells_s" Location="gun_grp4b0"/>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_green" PosX="5.25" PosZ="1.00" PosY="0.04" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_red" PosX="-5.25" PosZ="1.00" PosY="0.04" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_tail" PosX="0" PosZ="-5.43" PosY="0.12" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_landing" PosX="-1.47" PosZ="1.83" PosY="-0.37" MinVel="0.6" MaxVel="59"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_landing_effect" PosX="-1.47" PosZ="1.84" PosY="-0.37" MinVel="1.2" MaxVel="59"></Effect>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_N_gtrail" PosX="5.28" PosZ="0.50" PosY="1.03" MinVel="41" MaxVel="53"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_N_gtrail" PosX="-5.28" PosZ="0.50" PosY="1.03" MinVel="41" MaxVel="53"></Effect>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.62" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.25" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.62" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.25" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.65" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.15" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.65" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.15" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.68" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.05" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.68" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.05" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.69" PosZ="1.76" PosY="-0.05" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.69" PosZ="1.76" PosY="-0.05" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    </Effects>

Blog Entries
    Effects Fw190a-5 Fw190a-8 And Fw190-8z :salute:

Attachment 33724Attachment 33723Attachment 33736
    CHEERS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gosd View Post
    I am using these effects for the fw_190a_8z but the exhaust fumes dont seem wright:
    <Effects>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_r"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_green" PosX="5.25" PosZ="1.00" PosY="0.04" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_red" PosX="-5.25" PosZ="1.00" PosY="0.04" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_tail" PosX="0" PosZ="-5.43" PosY="0.12" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_landing" PosX="-1.47" PosZ="1.83" PosY="-0.37" MinVel="0.6" MaxVel="59"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_landing_effect" PosX="-1.47" PosZ="1.84" PosY="-0.37" MinVel="1.2" MaxVel="59"></Effect>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_N_gtrail" PosX="5.28" PosZ="0.50" PosY="1.03" MinVel="41" MaxVel="53"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_N_gtrail" PosX="-5.28" PosZ="0.50" PosY="1.03" MinVel="41" MaxVel="53"></Effect>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.62" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.25" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.62" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.25" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.65" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.15" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.65" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.15" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.68" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.05" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.68" PosZ="1.76" PosY="0.05" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.69" PosZ="1.76" PosY="-0.05" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.69" PosZ="1.76" PosY="-0.05" MinVel="0.01" MaxVel="145"/>
    </Effects>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this for dans fw_190a_8z:salute:

<Effects>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_green" PosX="5.26" PosZ="1.00" PosY="0.00" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_red" PosX="-5.26" PosZ="1.00" PosY="0.00" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_tail" PosX="0" PosZ="-5.46" PosY="0.12" MinVel="1" MaxVel="58"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_landing" PosX="-1.48" PosZ="1.80" PosY="-0.39" MinVel="0.6" MaxVel="59"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_landing_effect" PosX="-1.48" PosZ="1.81" PosY="-0.39" MinVel="1.2" MaxVel="59"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.63" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.64" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.62" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.2"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.63" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.2"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.55" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.4"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.55" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.4"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="0.63" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="-0.64" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="0.63" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.2"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="-0.62" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.2"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="0.55" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.4"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="-0.54" PosZ="0.55" PosY="0.4"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_smoke_touchdown" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_r"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_smoke_touchdown" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>
    </Effects>
    CHEERS

Old Tiger thanks for the file corrections.
    I find the exhaut flames too much in the back, I think they should be closer to the engin port. That is where I located mines, but the exhaut fumes dont follow, there still in the back, looks awkward.
    Can I correct this or is it related in reference to the flight simulator center of the a/c ?

ummm... most, if not all of my models have emitters for lights and exhaust.
    they might not be used but can be found by searching the m3d with wordpad looking for the word "emitter".
    the 190 exhaust is Location="l_emitter1" Location="l_emitter2" Location="l_emitter3"
    Location="r_emitter1" Location="r_emitter2" Location="r_emitter3"
    and for lights it's Location="l_marker_light"
    Location="r_marker_light"
    there might be one for the tail too but I hate the light effects and never use them but the emitters are usually there.

and I use my own effect that I haven't released..like this!

Popsaka, the vc light is controlled in the viewui.xml found in my documents/ your name/ Application Data/ Microsoft/ Combat Flight Simulator ETO.
    the line to change is LightColor="0 164 82" the numbers here make it a green light.
    find the color you want in MS paint and use the RGB to get the numerical values and change them in the xml.

Final fw_190a_8z,thanks to Old Crow :
    <Effects>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.62" PosZ="1.70" PosY="0.15"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.62" PosZ="1.70" PosY="0.15"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.65" PosZ="1.70" PosY="0.05"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.65" PosZ="1.70" PosY="0.05"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.68" PosZ="1.70" PosY="-0.05"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.68" PosZ="1.70" PosY="-0.05"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.69" PosZ="1.70" PosY="-0.15"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.69" PosZ="1.70" PosY="-0.15"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="0.62" PosZ="1.70" PosY="0.15"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="-0.62" PosZ="1.70" PosY="0.15"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="0.65" PosZ="1.70" PosY="0.05"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="-0.65" PosZ="1.70" PosY="0.05"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="0.68" PosZ="1.70" PosY="-0.05"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="-0.68" PosZ="1.70" PosY="-0.05"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="0.69" PosZ="1.70" PosY="-0.15"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="-0.69" PosZ="1.70" PosY="-0.15"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_smoke_touchdown" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_r"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_smoke_touchdown" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l"/>
    </Effects>

Very pleased with these

Blog Entries

:salute: :ernae: Thanks gosd and Old Crow. I Will check it out.

Edit: Very pleased with these also :ernae:
    CHEERS

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    ...Jon, I've always dug your effects... If ya has 'em for the 190, the 153, and any of yer other works of art, please release (when ya has the time, 'a course) thanx ahead of time...: