Cool piece of History

Thread: Cool piece of History

Cool piece of History

This is fascinating! Just received it in an email, and never knew about it until tooday

Starting in 1941, an increasing number of British Airmen found themselves as the involuntary guests of the Third Reich, and the Crown was casting about for ways and means to facilitate their escape. Now obviously, one of the most helpful aids to that end is a useful and accurate map, one showing not only where stuff was, but also showing the locations of 'safe houses' where a POW on-the-lam could go for food and shelter.

Paper maps had some real drawbacks -- they make a lot of noise when you open and fold them, they wear out rapidly, and if they get wet, they turn into mush.

Someone in MI-5 (similar to America's OSS ) got the idea of printing escape maps on silk. It's
    durable, can be scrunched-up into tiny wads, and unfolded as many times as needed, and
    makes no noise whatsoever.

At that time, there was only one manufacturer in Great Britain that had perfected the technology of printing on silk, and that was John Waddington, Ltd. When approached by the
    government, the firm was only too happy to do its bit for the war effort.

By pure coincidence, Waddington was also the U.K. Licensee for the popular American board
    game, Monopoly. As it happened, 'games and pastimes' was a category of item qualified for
    insertion into 'CARE packages', dispatched by the International Red Cross to prisoners of war.

Under the strictest of secrecy, in a securely guarded and inaccessible old workshop on
    the grounds of Waddington's, a group of sworn-to-secrecy employees began mass
    producing escape maps, keyed to each region of Germany or Italy where Allied
    POW camps were. When processed, these maps could be folded into such tiny dots that they would actually fit inside a Monopoly playing piece.

As long as they were at it, the clever workmen at Waddington's also managed to add:

1. A playing token, containing a small magnetic compass
    2. A two-part metal file that could easily be screwed together
    3. Useful amounts of genuine high-denomination German, Italian, and French currency, hidden within the piles of Monopoly money!

British and American air crews were advised, before taking off on their first mission, how
    to identify a 'rigged' Monopoly set -- by means of a tiny red dot, one cleverly rigged to look
    like an ordinary printing glitch, located in the corner of the Free Parking square.

Of the estimated 35,000 Allied POWS who successfully escaped, an estimated one-third
    were aided in their flight by the rigged Monopoly sets... Everyone who did so was sworn to secrecy Indefinitely, since the British Government might want to use this highly successful ruse in still another, future war. The story wasn't declassified until 2007, when the surviving craftsmen from Waddington's, as well as the firm itself, were finally honored in a public ceremony. It's always nice when you can play that 'Get Out of Jail' Free' card!

I realize many of you are (probably) too young to have any personal connection to WWII
    (Dec. '41 to Aug. '45), but this is still interesting. And it makes you look at the game of Monoply in a new light.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Fascinating insight and great history!:ernae:

Thanks for sharing.

Roger.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Blog Entries
    Don't remember where I read this before I thought this to be very very clever!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

It wasn't only Monopoly sets that were rigged either, several other board games got the same treatment.
    Larry

i have a series of shows from the discovery channel on DVD that talks about this...but they said that additional "facts" were still classified......dont know when the dvd (film) was produced...and i just checked..i have an old movie from the 60s that shows a map on a silk hankerchief......someone knew something....

I saw a map that was silk back in the 70's that was from WW2.
    I didn't know about the other.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Charter Member 2011
    Fort Rucker, Alabama, United States, United States
    Very interesting. Adding this little bit of info to my memory banks. If I find any silk WWII maps, will be sure to keep.