B-17 Restoration Thread... - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011

Thread: B-17 Restoration Thread...

So we attempted to put the co-pilot seat in.... lo and behold, the holes didn't line up... We tried lots of different things...no go. So we ended up switching the seats. Even though the measurements told me that wouldn't work, it worked...so both seats are in for the first time. They need a little use I think to get the movements right (up & down & forward & back). Tough to get a shot of the seats, but just took a few anyway...Must need to move my screen protector on the front of the phone...

Threw in a shot of the B-25 as I was walking out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150108_192242 (1).jpg   20150108_192508.jpg   20150108_192129.jpg  
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

Thanks for sharing.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I have had some health issues for the last 12 months... Finally got it diagnosed as a herniated disk, that is basically crushing the nerves down into my leg... Got my first round of steroid injections today, so I didn't tinker in the airplane... Dad and another volunteer began laying out the rest of the tail for paint...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0006.jpg  

A herniated disc? Owwwww!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Yeah, I have been battling it for forever because I didn't have pain in my back... and they thought it was muscles in my hip..... so I did a lot of PT for the wrong thing...Hoping and praying I will not need back surgery...That terrifies me at 32... I did lead a pretty active lifestyle...but haven't moved hardly at all in well over 7 months....

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Many thanks to Dave for helping me get squared away and getting my account set back up!!

I have been on an absence from the site, but with MSFS's arrival here at the house, and maybe some renewed interest in warbirds for the coming 2021 year, I thought I needed to poke my head in again to the nuthouse, I mean Outhouse and say howdy!!

Two questions:

• How is the back?
    • What is the status of the B-17?

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Two questions:

• How is the back?
    • What is the status of the B-17?

Cheers,
    Huub

Howdy Huub!,
    2 Answers!

The back... well, it has been a very long road. Initially after surgery in mid-2015, the pain was pretty severe. As I began to heal, I began to realize that the surgery just didn't take. Well it did, and it didn't. After 6 months I went back for another MRI because I was still having pretty bad pain. That MRI showed that while my herniated disk was no longer pushing on the nerves in my spine, the scar tissue from the surgery replaced it and now it was pressing on the nerves. I asked the doc if it was somethign I might have done. Whether it was not doing enough therapy or whatever, he said no... I was just lucky. Humpff... they wanted to keep seeing me and trying different things but by that time I was pretty much done dealing with them. Id say that winter I had a pretty tough time. It was about as deep down the rabbit hole of depression you could get. I always tell people. I wasn't at teh point of suicide, but I could see that point from where I was. Pain does horrible things to the mind and body. I refused any pain killers, mostly because they honestly made me more sick than relieve any pain. I am 6 years post op now, and while the pain still lingers, I am a lot better. I will never be 100%, maybe 70% tops, but I think I have come to terms with it. One big thing for me was never getting to play soccer again in a competitive manner. That hit hard. I had played for 25 plus years... and then had to suddenly stop. This past winter, I played my first game of indoor in 6 years. There were parts where knees gave me fits, but my back surprisingly held up. I still get sore and I refuse to honestly lift anything more than 25 lbs usually. And people think I'm just being a dick at work, but I'm just like, "would you like to see the scar?" lol... So a semi-success story. A success in that the pain is less than before surgery. But it is just one of those, "this was the hand you were dealt" kind of things! Thanks for asking!!!!

The B-17. I am hoping to post more and more updates. I have sadly been absent from volunteering for all of COVID essentially. I was back last weekend to take a safety class for our B-25 ride program. Engine nacelles are done. Fuselage is almost complete. Tail is done. We are turning our attention to the wings now. The museum added an extension last year which is amazing as it moves almost all of the "shop" stuff out of the "hangar".

I will post some photos here maybe later today and some tomorrow hopefully!

Stay Tuned!

I'll also give an update maybe in another thread about my adventures in "Ye Olde Pub"!!
    -Witt

Quick overall photo and a shot of the finished nacelles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5DCA8B8D-9BE6-4ACE-BE31-238F639CDCF0.jpg   C0C9D851-B3F3-42DA-BBD9-95CC87EFA36E.jpg  

Hey everybody!

Is there still interest in thread? I would like to get it going again if folks would still be interested! Considering the original post looks like it dates back to 2008!!!!

-Witt

The original name from this site is "Combat Flight Center". Based on that I think a lot of people are still interested warbirds!

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    The original name from this site is "Combat Flight Center". Based on that I think a lot of people are still interested warbirds!

Cheers,
    Huub

Fair Enough!!!

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Sure enough! When do any of us get to see progress being applied to a B-17 restoration? There aren't any in my little town .... KBHM

I have to admit, I had not actually clicked on the museum's "Virtual Tour" until recently, BUT, it is really pretty neat and I suggest everyone head over and check it out!!!

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=uRkEgdwAUjo

Thx Wittpilot, I might be in there all afternoon!
    Cheers

It's indeed neat. I've spend there half an evening watching the various videos and reading text.

Cheers,
    Huub

Here are some photos from earlier in December. Hoping to get over there myself this week sometime. Covid has kept a lot of folks away...

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled