B-17 Restoration Thread... - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: B-17 Restoration Thread...

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update, Witt. I am very anxious to see this old girl take to the skies once more...

MCDesigns
    Man I love this thread and I am envious, very cool stuff.

Happiness Consultant
    No one is as envious as me about this!!
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

A little off topic, but I was browsing the web a bit tonight.. and came across this photo...

http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew....58700104587202

I'm almost positive thats me behind the pilot & copilot in that picture... could be my brother... but I bet it is me on the last flight for me for the day, ( it got a little hot for the A-2)
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

Before posting today's update.... I would like to take a time out to pay respects to a gentleman that passed away this past weekend... I made mention of it in a seperate thread, but incase you missed it... Gary Austin, a real "guru" of sorts in the warbird community left this world for the 'big airbase in the sky'... It was a thread Mr. Austin started on the restoration/reconfiguration of a B-24 that was the inspiration for this thread here... Although man never met him, talked to him, or really knew him at all, it seems he will be dearly missed by everyone....

On to other matters... More painting, and attempt #, attempt #..... uh.....ah, who the hell knows anymore.... another attempt at the seat bead.... this should give a bit of an idea again of the process of fitting it to the seat edge... shrinking/stretching & twisting....

-witt

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the report, Witt! Lookin good!

Was doing a bit of "googling" tonight... Came up with this set from flikr. Looks like someone from the 'Desert Rat' project stopped in... Anyways, great photo-essay of the shop... Take a look... There are pictures of things that I don't even remember seeing!!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ariagal...7622570908779/

-witt

She's looking great Witt. I envy you guys working on her, just to have a hand in on the restoration is priceless.

Photos from the link are great too. You can never have enough of them to document what's going on.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Just noticed someone over at WIX made a recent visit to the shop, and has posted a large number of up-to-date photos of the progress thus far.

Witt, it looks like the bead around the seat is taking form very nicely! The nose art is looking excellent as well.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=33341
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

The Champaign Lady is looking better and better all the time. Great photos in that thread over at Warbird Info Exch.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Yeah John, That Shay character had to either be there this weekend or yesterday.... The basecoat of the woman was there only this weekend. The bead is pretty much ready to be heat treated and riveted on.

Look here for a more detailed look:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...708#8511069708

Promise to keep updating more... Things are getting busy with holidays approaching and we are working 6 days a week at my plant....

-witt

This is also updated I noticed... good read... kind of gives you an idea what the hangar is like...

http://www.b17project.com/index.php?...d=21&Itemid=50

Happiness Consultant
    Great find guys!

And the Lady is lookin good Witt! All my best to the crew, please! :ernae:
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

The pin-up has a basic color to her, and we did some work on the frame for the co-pilot seat.

Happiness Consultant
    I sure hope you guys get those chairs done before the plane is ready ... you've been working on em for over a year now haven't ya? LOL!

Lookin good Witt!!

Snuffy / Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    I sure hope you guys get those chairs done before the plane is ready ... you've been working on em for over a year now haven't ya? LOL!

Lookin good Witt!!

That thought has crossed our minds........... I took a picture of these controls located next to the bombsight. I know one opens the bombbay doors, couldn't tell you exactly what they all do... This was all made from scratch!

Happiness Consultant
    I'll have to check my manuals ... more later.

Snuffy / Ted

Happiness Consultant
    Okay Witt, I'm back ...

From the inside, (nearest the bombardier)

The wheel is called Emergency Rewind Wheel
    First lever is Bomb Door Control Lever
    Second lever is Internal Bomb Control Lever
    Third lever is External Bomb Control Lever

If you got more than this, my manuals don't tell me what they are.

Snuffy / Ted

Snuffy, as far as I know you are correct on the levers...

On to our project for the holiday break.....

My father, brother, & I are working on a new mural for the new museum... Dad's the artist, brother is in college as an art major.... and I help reposition the ladder. Okay so I try and slow things down as much as possible and pick up a paint brush from time to time... They are the brains, I just paint what I'm told... but here's a rough beginnig after the first day.

It should be noted, that similar to the last mural, this one was used by a Flight Simulator still projected up onto the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittpilot View Post
    My father, brother, & I are working on a new mural for the new museum... Dad's the artist, brother is in college as an art major.... and I help reposition the ladder. Okay so I try and slow things down as much as possible and pick up a paint brush from time to time... They are the brains, I just paint what I'm told... but here's a rough beginnig after the first day.

It should be noted, that similar to the last mural, this one was used by a Flight Simulator still projected up onto the wall.
    Are the one responsible for the WoP FSX screenshot?
    If so, that whole deal is ALL yours baby, and you have your family doing the dirty work. :mixedsmi:

But in the end it is all good regardless! You guys are doing a great job and have my thanks for keeping this thread updated. Thank you again.:USA-flag:

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Are the one responsible for the WoP FSX screenshot?
    Are you talking about the WoP splashscreen? Sorry Marlin I didn't make out what you were referenicing... If you were hinting at what FS plane we used, that will reman a secret....(because I don't know which one they used)

Day II

Oh ya, now were are talking!

Happiness Consultant
    Lookin good Witt! :ernae:

Snuffy / Ted