Sounds of a P-51D

Thread: Sounds of a P-51D

Icon5 Sounds of a P-51D

A couple question about the sound of P-51D,
    Its a sound that once you have heard sticks with you forever! :salute:

Is there a true or good one out there for FX?

and why is it so difficult to reproduce?

and if someone could produce that, flyby, combo of motor (Power) and whistle,... WOW

Charter Member 2012
    I believe the Warbirdsim P-51D uses samples from a real Merlin in a Mustang. It sounds fantastic!

Indeed, we did use the real thing!

I had the good fortune of a couple of rides in Jumpin' Jacques to do such a thing.

Believe me that sound once you have heard it from the inside sticks with you forever!
    Albert
    www.warbirdsim.com

It even sounds good just clicking on the Warbirdsim link :salute:

...... almost as good as a Spitfire!

One of the biggest reasons why it is so hard to capture a Merlin sound, especially up close where the sound changes (as with most engines), is that it can quickly overload most recording equipment, causing major peaks and distortion.

Recording a Merlin requires very high quality recording equipment, and even then sometimes it can cause issues, which I will not go into and would be rather bland and boring.

This video really captures some Amazing,Unique sounds of The P-51:salute:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM View Post
    This video really captures some Amazing,Unique sounds of The P-51:salute:

To bad FSX aircraft don't sound anything like that. Not even close.

Makes you proud to be British it really does!!! :salute:
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

I'm feeling inspired to do a warbird series of sound packs now.
    Vance
    Sonic Solutions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BOOM,

Now that's what I'm talkin about...

Quote Originally Posted by peter12213 View Post
    Makes you proud to be British it really does!!! :salute:

??? :ques:

Just my 2 cents on this. I have always loved the P-38 engine sound over anything else so silky smooth, though I will grant you that the Packard Merlin is very distictive.

A little someth'n I shot. crank up the sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...i9Bcs&vq=large
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

Wonderful video! I just spend some time now and then browsing videos just listening to warbird sounds! Looking so much forward to Hahnweide 2011, listening to the real deal! The oil cooler sound of the Mustang gives me goosebumps!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

P-51 sounds

WOW, New P-51 sounds By Gary Jones ! Thanks Gary.

sbp.........:salute:
    CAN YOU HEAR ME, NOW?

The whistle sound has actually been proven fact to be caused by the gun ports. Jim Beasley put this myth to rest a number of years ago, by taping over the gun ports on his aircraft - the result is that the whistle, that was quite constant at speed with his aircraft, was no more. Some people still talk about 'experts' debating one way or the other on this subject - well the 'real experts' know for certain. :P Just imagine 6 bottle-tops sticking straight out on the wing (of which the gun barrels are of the same size), and going 350+ mph, there is definitely going to be a tone that develops, then becoming a scream when pulling positive G, with air passing over the tips rather than straight through (just like holding a bottle and blowing air over the top of it).

The soundset on Warbirdsim's P-51Ds, is the only one that has the gun port whistle, which increases and decreases with speed, rather than power (and of course it is very easily removed if you would prefer to just hear the Merlin at speed).
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Bomber,

Love your planes, there detail and quality. I have everything you created... :salute: First FS9 and then FSX

But the P-51D sounds (engine and Whistle) that come with your aircraft... are not the same sound as in the posted video's.

Quote Originally Posted by doublecool View Post
    Bomber,

Love your planes, there detail and quality. I have everything you created... :salute: First FS9 and then FSX

But the P-51D sounds (engine and Whistle) that come with your aircraft... are not the same sound as in the posted video's.
    I understand your point, but you have to understand that what you hear in a Mustang flying by, or from a distance, is not what we wanted to achieve, and also we, as in everyone else, do the best with what we have available to us to work with.

Many of the freeware sound sets you can download, are compiled from sound recordings from videos as posted on places like Youtube and elsewhere, along with other sounds that have clearly been around from the base simulator, or simulators in the past. These sounds however, aren't an accurate indication of what the Merlin sounds like, if you are right next to it, travelling along with it. They are rather a sampling of the aircraft flying or taxiing by at a given time. This is great for flyby view, but it isn't accurate in spot view.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    Speaking for the sounds incorporated into the Warbirdsim P-51D's, they were all recorded inside and out, on the ground and in the air, with great recording equipment, utilizing the P-51D "Jumpin Jacques". What you hear, is exactly the sound of what that aircraft produces, standing right with it, or sitting inside it.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Thank you Bomber, I respect all the hard work Warbirdsim has done on P-51 Packages :salute:

Is there anyway for you to add the flyby sounds so one can feel and hear what is in the Video's

That would just complete her for me

Keep up the Brilliant work.

Airplane noise is a fascinating subject to me. It’s unlikely that even the best recordings of the sounds of the real plane will reproduce the sound of the airplane as you hear it when it flies over your house. There are so many things that affect the sound that you hear in real life, complex interactions between the sounds coming directly from the plane, and the sounds bouncing off the ground, buildings, trees, etc. Ever hear thunder from far away? It goes “crackle-crack-[boom]-crackle-[rumble]-bboom-rumble-rumble-boom-BOOM-bboom-rumble-rumble” Ever hear thunder from up close? It just goes “friggen BANG!” Did you know that 500lb bombs dropped on the sea two miles away produce the same odd broken up sound as distant thunder? Ever hear the sound a 20mm Vulcan gatling gun makes when fired from a jet zooming by? It goes “brrrrrrrrrrrrrrp-whooOOoooOoOoop.” Engine noise is affected the same way. The other thing missing is the power. Not simply volume, but the power to shake the ground under your feet. It’s all parts of the experience we can’t duplicate very well in FS.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I understand your point, but you have to understand that what you hear in a Mustang flying by, or from a distance, is not what we wanted to achieve, and also we, as in everyone else, do the best with what we have available to us to work with.

Many of the freeware sound sets you can download, are compiled from sound recordings from videos as posted on places like Youtube and elsewhere, along with other sounds that have clearly been around from the base simulator, or simulators in the past. These sounds however, aren't an accurate indication of what the Merlin sounds like, if you are right next to it, travelling along with it. They are rather a sampling of the aircraft flying or taxiing by at a given time. This is great for flyby view, but it isn't accurate in spot view.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    Speaking for the sounds incorporated into the Warbirdsim P-51D's, they were all recorded inside and out, on the ground and in the air, with great recording equipment, utilizing the P-51D "Jumpin Jacques". What you hear, is exactly the sound of what that aircraft produces, standing right with it, or sitting inside it.
    Speaking of your P51D P1 and P2 audio, are you aware of the noticeable "blurp" in the audio loop? Your audio engineer should be able fix that quite easily. Especially noticeable at high RPMs with headphones on.

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Great video!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

It's nice to see devs using all original audio. Even looking at the latest WOP Spitfire you can see alot of rehashed sounds (you can right click on a wav file and open with notepad to see the original author stamp at the bottom)

At least with recording your own aircraft you're assuring that you're selling something truley original. :salute:
    Vance
    Sonic Solutions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0