E-Cycler Build..AKA..Frankenstein
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Cycler Build..AKA..Frankenstein

E-Cycler Build..AKA..Frankenstein

Ok, obviously my FSX build isn't happening. SO, off in a different direction I go.

Hopefully with a little help from the local E-Cycle shop (computer recyclers) I can come up with a good core 2 duo or core 2 quad to optimally run FS9. But, I need advice from those who know what best suits the use.

I'll be running Ultimate Terrain USA/CAN/ALASKA, Ground Environment Pro, FS Global 2010, Real Environment for starters with more added later.

So far, a very thoughtful member here has/is supplying a 9800GT video card. Which is a very good start!
    ...I'm still needing to know the best (if it so happens that way)

Motherboard (socket 775?)
    CPU
    Memory

Any and all help will bring Frankenstein to life

Charter Member 2011
    Fort Rucker, Alabama, United States, United States
    For whatever reasons...I'm guessing the supply, Core 2 Quads are ridiculously expensive right now. The Core 2 Duos are probably more on par money wise. I have the E8400 overclocked (OC) to 4.0 ghz on air, however, I got 2 years out of her before I OC'd. I got my use out of her so time to abuse her now. That being said my FSX hasn't looked/performed better than it is now, no doubt in large part to the 4ghz and 8GB ram.

Gigabyte Motherboards have never done me wrong. ASUS boards are tempermental. I believe when it comes to MBs it's personal preference, just make sure whatever board you get it suits your needs when it comes to expansion slots, rear panel ports, and on-board devices (i.e. lan and sound).

As far as Memory make sure you have a minimum of 4 gigs. Memory is cheap right now, so more the better.

[edit] Forgot to mention, you at least want to get a 3 ghz or higher processor. The C2Ds highest is 3.33 ghz. If you go that route make sure you get the E0 stepping they are much easier to OC.[/edit]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    Ok, obviously my FSX build isn't happening. SO, off in a different direction I go.

Hopefully with a little help from the local E-Cycle shop (computer recyclers) I can come up with a good core 2 duo or core 2 quad to optimally run FS9. But, I need advice from those who know what best suits the use.

I'll be running Ultimate Terrain USA/CAN/ALASKA, Ground Environment Pro, FS Global 2010, Real Environment for starters with more added later.

So far, a very thoughtful member here has/is supplying a 9800GT video card. Which is a very good start!
    ...I'm still needing to know the best (if it so happens that way)

Motherboard (socket 775?)
    CPU
    Memory

Any and all help will bring Frankenstein to life
    See if you can scrounge up a used gigabyte X48 DQ6 or a Gigabyte EP45 UD3P or R. These are very fast motherboards with a core2duo or quad

there is some great pricing on here and amazon.com for used processors http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/cpu/core_2_duo_e8400
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Charter Member 2011
    Fort Rucker, Alabama, United States, United States
    See if you can scrounge up a used gigabyte X48 DQ6 or a Gigabyte EP45 UD3P or R.
    I can vouch for the EP45 UD3P. That's what I have had to seat my C2D, not one problem with it.

Confirmed to be a good board, and complete, I just bought a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P VER. 1.6 for..$150.00. I hope this was a fair price?

Attachment 30032

Blog Entries
    Confirmed to be a good board, and complete, I just bought a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P VER. 1.6 for..$150.00. I hope this was a fair price?
    Attachment 30032
    Yep pretty fair...all the 775socket stuff has gone up in price simply because there is very little available. By the way this board paired with 1066mhz memory, an E8400 or higher, and your 9800GT should run FSX pretty well. let me know when you put her together I will help you OC it. I have done dozens of these

I just thought of something I might know where I can get my hands on an ATI 4870 video card for free that is even faster than what you have...I'll let ya know

A free VC?.....I'll wait patiently..lol

Sigh...good. I was hoping the price was ok. Next the brain (E8400) Should be easier from the looks of availability so, no rush there. I'm curious what do you suggest to get for memory and how much?

Blog Entries
    A free VC?.....I'll wait patiently..lol

Sigh...good. I was hoping the price was ok. Next the brain (E8400) Should be easier from the looks of availability so, no rush there. I'm curious what do you suggest to get for memory and how much?

4GB is sufficient on this board. By the way it will also take 1200mhz memory if want to increase the bandwidth. Just don't get VALUE type memory. Hey I just talked to the guy I lent my ATI 4870 to and he said I can get it back this weekend. PM with your address and I will send it to you.

I'm open for your recommendations :salute:

PM sent. Thank you.

Some how, some way, I will return the kindness.

Blog Entries
    I'm open for your recommendations :salute:

PM sent. Thank you.
    It is a little more than I thought but it will work great with that motherboard. Let me see if I can scrounge up an E8400 for free give me a couple of days
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104098

Holy cow. I'll surely wait!
    ...I looked at a few e8400's, some refurbished. Just the word scares me.

I just saw the link to the memory. I'll take note of that. You mention 1200mhz memory but, what's the best route to go?

By the way, good news. My wife called and said our pup was out of the operating room and doing good.
    ...Pippin (our pup) had two disks out of place and another that was pinching the spinal fluid tube. The doctor said he'll be as good as new in 7-10 days after getting plenty of pampering and meds. Sigh, I'm relieved that it all went well. I'll go see the pup tomorrow.

Took a trip to Tacoma today to see how the pup was doing. They wouldn't let us see him as it was too soon after surgery and they didn't want him to get excited. Wished I'd have known. I drove 2 hours to get there, sat there for 2 hours, had coffee, drove home. I was bummed. Needless to say, my wife didn't ask if we could actually SEE him before we left! When Pippin does get home, he's on a very strict routine for 6 weeks.

There was a delivery while I was away. Someone dumped off Frankensteins body Attachment 30091(pc case) on my porch

Nice. My Gigabyte EP45-UDP3 motherboard arrived. All accessories included right down to the "Gigabyte" badge. Cable packages are unopened, CD is unopened and the manual unscathed.
    ...The board itself looks very good. I can't even tell if it was ever mounted as there are literally no marks on the stand-off holes from screws. All resistors and capacitors like new.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmm73 View Post
    I can vouch for the EP45 UD3P. That's what I have had to seat my C2D, not one problem with it.
    Sorry to have forgotten to reply, as I did very much use your response to strengthen my purchase of this motherboard.

Ted, I found a good price on the memory you suggested. $61.00

Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2T1K2/4G

Slow and steady wins the race

Blog Entries
    Your video card is on the way!!! Sorry I could not get a deal on the E8500
    Ted

I'll have an eye out for it and welcome it's arrival

I appreciate your attempt to track one for me. So far I'm not getting positive results at local shops. Least of this area anyway. Online, lots of them. It might be a good possible when we get our tax refund.

Thank you Ted

A stop by the local pc repair shop got me a used Xion Supernova 600 watt modular PSU for $20. LED even..lol.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good CPU cooler? I will be overclocking.

I took a bunch of old computer stuff to the PC recycle place today. After the proprietor and I finished packing it inside, he offered me a cup of coffee. I accepted. After roughly an hour or so I was set to get going as I had other things I had to do. He, Roman was his name said he had something for me. He handed me a blister package. I asked what it was. He said "open it" Well, I opened it up and inside there was a e8500 cpu chip. To end a long story I am sure none of you want to hear, Roman sold me the "tested and working" cpu for $60!! I had a grin from ear to ear..lol!

Slowly I am getting this to come together

Blog Entries
    Best cooling available for the socket 775: In a word ZALMAN
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118003
    Ted

I'll see if I can find one on ebay. Cheaper the better.
    ....Thanks Ted!

For as much as I didn't want too, I bought a new cpu cooler from the egg. That is the last piece needed. It should arrive by Wednesday. Then the fun part of giving life to Frankenstein begins (thunder & lightening..boom..flash, flash). Defibrillator at the ready, I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes all these donor parts will cycle power and play well enough to get me into the bios.

I've got Windows Ultimate 32/64. Question is, do I install 32bit, or 64?

Hey OleBoy,

If you want to make use of the full 4Gb of RAM then you'll have to go the 64 bit route

Regards,
    Stratobat
    'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'

Hi SB. Yes I know this. I suppose I should have worded things a little more clear. Maybe something like this.

Now, considering I have both Windows XP and Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64, (4gb of memory on the mobo), and knowing XP only C's 3gb, What's my best option for operating systems and FS9/FSX? To my knowledge there really makes no difference which route I go.

Is there an advantage from OS to the other and the flight sims?

Members who have read this thread: 0