Top Fuel Dragster Fun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Fuel Dragster Fun

Top Fuel Dragster Fun

Just started this model with about 8 hours in it, but have got a neat flight model now that responds pretty close to what I wanted.

Runs 1/4 mile in less than 5 seconds at 430 MPH :-)
    Stops in the second 1320'.

Good stability on runout and braking.

Touchy, leapy throttle for burnouts and fast starts.

Turns are realistically difficult.

Too much fun!

Pissing off a lot of folks who live near the airport.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Now THAT is cool!:ernae:

Lots of fun! Now that I have a reasonable FM, I will flesh out the model and VC. Looking for Top Fuel sounds, and effects will be a challenge.

I had no 3-views; just designed from the recesses of my mind. Will add all the appropriate wind foils, engine headers, parachute, roll bars, etc.

Just a fun thing to do during my break.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Now this is totally unexpected coming from you Milton!

Topspeed might be a little too high? IMHO those cars will do about 300+ mph?

Sounds might be difficult to get right, since Fs doesn't know gear changes I think.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Now this is totally unexpected coming from you Milton!

Topspeed might be a little too high? IMHO those cars will do about 300+ mph?

Sounds might be difficult to get right, since Fs doesn't know gear changes I think.
    It's been a long time since I visited a drag strip to watch a Top Fueler but I recall 329+ MPH in less than 5 seconds. I'll have to do some research for tweaking.

I am trying to challenge Gary Jones or Nigel Richards for some hot, raspy, fuel burning, supercharger driven, fire breathiing sounds. She revs quickly, jumps off the starting line and reaches 1/4 mile in appropriate times. Standing on the brakes and serious flap drag stops her in about 1500 feet.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Okay, here are the records, and I will "try" to stay within reason :-)

The fastest top fuelers can attain terminal speeds of over 530 km/h (329 mph) while covering the quarter mile (402 m) distance in roughly 4.45 seconds. Top Fuel dragsters are the fastest accelerating manned vehicles on Earth, quicker even than the space shuttle launch vehicle or catapult-assisted jet fighter.[citation needed] A Top Fuel dragster produces 8,000 horsepower (6,000 kW) and can go from 0 to 320 mph (510 km/h) in under 5 seconds and from 0–100 km/h in 0.9 seconds

As of July 2009, the world record for a 1/4 mile pass is 4.428 seconds, set by Tony Schumacher in a Top Fuel Dragster. Schumacher also holds the top speed record for the quarter mile at 336.15 miles per hour (540.98 km/h), set in a TFD at Hebron, Ohio, that same year. Top Fuel races are now held over a 305 metres (1,001 ft) distance for safety reasons (but still held on 400m lengths in Australia). The e.t. record under the new rules is also held by Schumacher, at 3.771 seconds, while the top speed record is held by Larry Dixon at 321.58 miles per hour (517.53 km/h).[11]

Drag racing rules require a record run be backed up within one percent at the same
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Milton! It must be hard to replicate the acceleration of a top fuel dragster in Fs; the cars own their acceleration to the massive tires, while Fs uses props or a jet engine.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

It took me about 6 hours of work to get the performance and response I have now. Amazingly realistic. Just some tweaking to do but I do have the performance very close.

Scott Thomas is working on sounds, ear splitting, retina detaching sounds! I think he will also come up with a panel .... looking at that now.

Maybe I can get someone to do some scenery, drag strip with Christmas Tree and timing lights.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2024
    Make sure se got a parachute to stop it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Make sure se got a parachute to stop it!
    LOL Well, a parachute effect is already built in with flap drag. Not sure I can animate a parachute although I have seen them on fighter jets.

I am hoping we can build in some buffeting and shaking and maybe a drag strip scenery with lights and timer. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Flight model is looking great. Got Tom looking her over soon.

Scott is working panel and gauges.

Gary is looking for sounds.

Me? Having fun tweaking the possibilities in the FM. Just achieved wheelies off the starting line. LOL

And man, if you have a need for speed, running from one end to the other of KDFW, around buildings, up and down taxiways ... in about 10 seconds is a blast. Lots of open area to do pedal to the metal stuff. LOL
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I see you have been doing your stats. homework Milton. Some force feedback will be essential I think when you can get around to it....they vibrate like mad those things.

Thats going to be a blast,going to have to pick a long enough runway or saw down some trees at the end of it.

top fuelies sort of have a twist effect on launch..not much of a lift of the front wheels anymore...just a comment...thats why theyre so long..keep the front wheels on the ground

Looks like so much fun! I look forward to it!
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

Talk about a turn in modeling. That looks like some real fun there Milton. Edwards AFB maybe?..lol.
    ...Top fuelers...yeah baby!!:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    top fuelies sort of have a twist effect on launch..not much of a lift of the front wheels anymore...just a comment...thats why theyre so long..keep the front wheels on the ground
    Yes, but it is cool to pull the wheels up about 8-12" on launch :-)

But, I have changed the FM to eliminate that for a more preferred steering capability.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    Looks like so much fun! I look forward to it!
    Well, I hope to have it done within a few weeks. Not going all out on this; just something to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    Talk about a turn in modeling. That looks like some real fun there Milton. Edwards AFB maybe?..lol.
    ...Top fuelers...yeah baby!!:ernae:
    Yup! I have been burning up the tires at KDFW, not just straight aways but running 2 mile ovals. LOL I have pretty much destroyed what little grass and gravel areas they had.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

makes me think of the jet drag car vs airplane races at the airshows the past few years..ive seen it at mather airpark in sacramtno and at chico california..both long runways....plane allways wins..but the dragster gets to 300miles per hour they claim

Model Updates

Continuing the model updates ... and Fliger747 is tweaking the FM.

Throttle use opens the butterfly on the supercharger intake, and trim adjusts the wing foils for added down pressure.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

These pilots were NOT amused as I held them up from their fare-carrying trek. So, I pulled over and toyed with this one during rollout. He was soooo slow.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Okay, we have a seat, hubs and lug nuts, a driver with helmet and shoulder straps, and exhaust headers. Waiting for the 2D panel so the VC can be added. Also, a shot in gmax to show the simplicity of the model.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That toy is looking convincing there Milton. Don't forget to add flames coming out of the headers

Okay, we finally have the exterior mapped and ready for textures :-)

Awaiting the panel to finish the interior.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 1