Favourite Sound Files

Thread: Favourite Sound Files

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Favourite Sound Files

While we're all drooling over our personal favourite's (and picking up a fair few good new HE's) what about really good sounds?
    Three packs stand out as all timer's in my mind:
    Beech 18 -by Milton Shupe team (Original sounds by Mike Hambley and remixed by Scott Thomas)
    RCS B-25J RAF -by Brian Withers and Roy Chaffin (mainly interior sounds-simply majic) sounds by Alan Landsburgh.
    HS.748 -by Rick Piper (Fraser McKay's excellent RR Dart interior and exterior sounds-difficult 'nut' to crack, very well handled indeed).
    Love to hear other people's favourites...always on the lookout for something new!

Perhaps someone has got that 'elusive' Seafury. 50-100% throttle that is...(good start, tickover and low revs are okay)

Nigel

Two that jump immediately to mind are OBIO's P&W R-985 (great prop-tip buzz) and his Enhanced DC-3 packs. I especially like that he includes multiple sound.cfgs in them. The 985 single lives up front on Milton's Spartan Executive. Also his Ford Tri-motor sound mods. Thanks, Tim. You can't beat "Round Engine" noise! LA

Lycoming, Teledyne Continental soundpack created by Gary Jones, really hits the spot in my FSD Navajo and Aero Commander 560, and any other sounpack by Gary Jones.

Regards Paul Day.

Most anything by Aaron R. Swindle. I've been using his Pilatus PC-12 sound package for FS2002 on the Porter because it it's the best at least for my standard sound card. Christoffer Petersen made a truly believable set for any B-52 and FS Sound Studio made an excellent Agusta A-109 set. I hear those every week and can hardly tell the difference.

Forgot to add that I am always on the lookout for the words 'custom sounds' for any new aircraft. Some real gems sneek in quietly so I often check the sound.cfg file to see if it's aliased or not.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Got a couple that come to mind:
    1) the sound file that comes with the Evektor EV97 at FSNordic.com. It is probably the best Rotax 912 sound I've ever heard. Nice and quiet inside but exterior sounds like a sportbike with a stuck throttle...or maybe a chainsaw on steroids...anyway sounds great.
    2)At Flightsim.com there is a file called wbird.zip. I put this on most of my early Cyclone powered planes (Curtiss Hawk III, Grumman F3F, Lockheed Orion 9F):
    FS2000 - FS2000 Sound FS2000 Generic Warbird Sound Set
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: wbird.zip Size: 4,344,885 Date: 04-13-2000 Downloads: 3,242
    FS2000 Generic Warbird Sound Set. Features the Wright R-1820-30 750 hp engine. Warbird enthusiasts will enjoy this set, it's loud and accurately reproduces this powerful engine's sounds. Sampled at 22,050 16 bit mono. A FlightSim.Com FS2000 Gold Seal Approved sound set. By Mike Hambly.

Ryuji Ozawa did a fantastic set of RR Dart sounds for AFG back in 2002. I still use them today for most of my old t-props that just sound anemic using the stock King Air sounds.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=38354
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Anything by Christopher Peterson. I have purchased his F-16, Mirage F1, and MD-500 soundsets. I use his freeware F-18, F-14, Jet Ranger, A-10, and Cessna 172 sound packages. The A-10 soundset has the best representation of the TF-34 engines I have ever heard in FS2004. I even use it with the Iris S-3 Viking.

Hi,

Anything by Christopher Peterson
    Christoffer Petersen

Corrected

To me,
    Fraser McKay's dart sounds are the best sounds I've ever heard...

Nigel

I uploaded a sound pack for the Centaurus, used in the Fury and Sea Fury, sometime back. I have no idea how close it is to the real deal, but it sounds pretty good to my ears. I used files from two different sound packs and mixed and tweaked them to come up with one enhanced sound package.

For the Texan, I love the sound pack uploaded by Fnerg (Doug Smith is how you will find it in the library here on SOH). It has that super-sonic prop tip sound down pat!

Lawdog3260 has a very nice collection of sound packages out...mostly for WW2 planes. He just uploaded a couple new ones that will melt your ears!

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2020
    Milton's Howard 500 sounds are awesome

Pete.

Blog Entries

great HU's..keep'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Nigel

I uploaded a sound pack for the Centaurus, used in the Fury and Sea Fury, sometime back. I have no idea how close it is to the real deal, but it sounds pretty good to my ears. I used files from two different sound packs and mixed and tweaked them to come up with one enhanced sound package.

For the Texan, I love the sound pack uploaded by Fnerg (Doug Smith is how you will find it in the library here on SOH). It has that super-sonic prop tip sound down pat!

Lawdog3260 has a very nice collection of sound packages out...mostly for WW2 planes. He just uploaded a couple new ones that will melt your ears!

OBIO
    :salute:Hi OBIO,
    if it's the Centaurus pack that comes with THE Seafury by Paul Barry, David Hanvey and Jerry Beckwith then everything up to fast taxi is spot on. (superb model too, get update 2.06!). Then it all goes astray, I'm afraid. And that's no criticism to its author, the Seafury is a very elusive sound candidate because of its remarkable sound envelope. Bit like the P-51 really, its a 'tough nut' (but worth it!). I've got long-term WIP sounds for both but wouldn't dare release anything for these 'classics' at this stage. If I could only find some QUALITY, usable raw material. Always searching! And a special gauge will have to be used in both cases.
    Check Tom Clayton's lead on the RR Dart, you get a nice aeroplane with it too.
    And that little Spartan Exec. is a gem Andersel.
    ...off to try some of Lawdog3260's sounds. My ears could use the heat!
    Thanks to all and keep'em coming...
    Nigel

Some of my fav sound files.

A20 by Lawdog. Great twin radial.
    B25 by Lawdog. Great twin radial.
    F2a3 by Lawdog. Great single radial.
    Bill Lionheart's Bestmann 4 cylinder.
    A2A's B17, FW190D, HE219, Zero, P51 sounds.
    James Bank's rotary engine sound.

Slightly OT, but can anyone recommend a decent sound pack for the Alphasim SEPECAT Jaguar? I just don't think the default Learjet 45 sounds are going to pass muster in this particular plane. The release of the Alpasim/Virtavia Phantoms has peaked my interest in mid 20th Century jets, and I have always thought the Jaguar a real beauty.Before anyone says it, I know that there's no accounting for taste. Thanks in advance, LA

I like Gary Jones',

twin_lycoming_continental_sounds

They are excellent! I especially like them added on to these:

*The - Giovanni Quai - SIAI-Marchetti SF-260
    *The - PAD - Cessna 414 Chancellor
    *The - Milton Shupe - Aero Commanders, any of them.

I am thinking of coming up with a freeware sound pack for the freeware Dornier Do 27 made by Hannes von der Heide. To do so I will need to use parts of the Cessna 182 sound pack from FS9. Is it legal to simply use wav files of the Cessna 182 sound pack and re-name them without permission in making up another sound pack?

It might be better to keep the original factory file names and credit MS in the documentation. I've seen that done in other sound packages with no apparent repercussions from the Redmond area.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I will see if I can work up the pack and place credits where they are due. It's basicly a mix of mostly using the FS9 C-180 files as fill-in while the specific engine rpm wav sounds that come from an older FS addon plane that I run across that had some very decent throaty sounding engine wav files all placed together.

It is by no means perfect but they really enhance that nice freeware Do 27, much better than the C-180 it is aliased to. It seems to work very much in sequence with the throttle action range. And I'm not sure where it comes from, the DO 27 mdl file I think, but when installed on this model, the engine sound speeds up and slows down as the plane climbs or dives, which is especially nice. Don't see that on a lot of FS planes. ALPHA T-6/Harvard was one of them.

As many of you know I'm not a hot-to-trot/whiz-bang go getter on producing stuff, lol. But if I don't get this sound pack put together, zipped up and uploaded somewhere, I will post to the forum here what files I used and where to get them and maybe someone else would care to try it out and make up a sound pack with it. Then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder and someone else may not think it is a good sound set.

Thanks Tom, for your input.

phatomx

I have taken very generous liberties with the sound files from FS9 and FSX and have simply stated that they started out as stock MS sound files. I have tweaked the sound files and config files of a number of FS9/FSX sound packs to create "new" sound packs. So far, no one from the great state of Washington has shown up on my door step with a ball bat to bust my kneecaps.

As long as what you do remains freeware stuff and credit is given, I see no harm in using/tweaking sound files from the varioius MS sims to create sound packs.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Obio, that adds to the level of confidence.

OK I get to abort my mission to make available a sound pack for the freeware Dornier Do 27.

I just run across this FS 2002 Cessna 182-RG sound pack made by Peter Spanakos It is identical to the one I was going to assemble. He already has the needed other fill in sounds in it, plus he did a good job of tweeking it out. No use making a sound pack when it's already made. I could put the title "Dornier Do 27 sound pack" on this file and it would be what I was going to upload. This is great.

Any how, it sounds very good placed in the Do 17 for a pretty good throaty fit for the Do 27. Give it a try if you like. Probably be nice in the FS9 182 also! It has some uniqueness to it, in the Do 27 at least, which at times sounds like the constant speed prop is cycling, if you don't completely firewall the throttle.

Here is where it is located:

File title: FS2002 Cessna C182-RG Sound System
    File: lc182rgs (DOT) zip
    By Peter Spanakos
    http://flightsim.com/file.php?cm=INDEXCALL&sPos=30

Trev Morison's P&W DC-3 sounds. I like them enough to rework the sound.cfg file to a 4 engine to use with Jens' DC-4.

I also use the default CFS 3 Me 262 sounds with Mike Cyul's 262 and other early German jets. MS Aces recorded them from one of the new build 262s.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

FS2000/FS2002 Boeing B-52H Sounds
    http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=47949
    By Mike Hambly
    I use it in the KBT B-52 and in my AS A-3 Skywarrior.

A four part down load for the C-130 T-56 powerplant also at FlightSimin the FS2000 sounds library, works in FS9, not only for the 130 but the P-3/Electra, E-2/C-2 and the C-27.

David Maltby's BAC1-11 sound pack is good for early jets, heed the warning about it being loud, it is.

Bell_huey_sound_v2 at Hover Control for all of the H-1/AH-1 birds as well as this one, 369CDEsd, gives Piglets H-6 birds that angry buzz.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

I used the early Caravelle soundset, over at HJG, in all my Canberra's until the recent releases from Nazca Steve; I thought it replicated the sound of the early Avons very nicely.

RR AVON TURBOJET (NO REVERSE)
    SE-210 1/1A, 3, & 6N
    Andy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    I used the early Caravelle soundset, over at HJG, in all my Canberra's until the recent releases from Nazca Steve; I thought it replicated the sound of the early Avons very nicely.

RR AVON TURBOJET (NO REVERSE)
    SE-210 1/1A, 3, & 6N
    :ernae:
    great HU for the RR Avon Andy. Thanks!
    I've have often visited HJG downloads but must have overlooked this one. HJG also have a very impressive array of soundpacks for Boeing 707/720/727 ets.etc. for those who are looking. Very dedicated and thorough group of people indeed!

Members who have read this thread: 1