Most decorated aircrew in WWII

Thread: Most decorated aircrew in WWII

Most decorated aircrew in WWII

Y'all check this out - I can't believe I had never heard of this mission before - truly incredible!

http://biggeekdad.com/2010/10/old-666/
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow,

Who would not have turned back? Brave, brave, brave!

AC

Wow is right. Great post, thank you GR.
    Happy Trails! www.officialponyexpress.org

Pen32Win

For my D/L's Search for both Pen32Win and AF=Midway. There are also files in the Archives under AF=Midway.

Hoowa!

This story was included in one episode of the History Channel Dogfights series, appropriately titled "Against All Odds". That crew fought one hell of a battle -- for nothing more than recon photos! But when you think about it, they really had no choice but to stand and fight, since they couldn't outrun the faster interceptors in an old war-weary B-17. :salute: The guys in the cockpit demonstrated amazing skill in bringing that beat up bird back, but IMHO the real heroes were those tenacious, dead-eye gunners who made the return home possible.

This was the same episode that included ace Capt. Stanley "Swede" Vejtasa's story where he shot down 3 Zero's in one mission -- in a Dauntless SBD !!! :tgun2: It got him transferred from bomber pilot to fighter jock right away. I personally learned a lot about taking on faster, better-armed attackers from his account. His tactics should be textbook material for aerial gunfighting.

The third story in the episode was an account of two Skyraider pilots simultaneously shooting down a Mig-17 - while flying wingtip formation - in a head-on duel over Vietnam.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Wow, I need to see that episode! I didn't know Vejtasa started out as a Dauntless driver either - I only knew him as a Hellcat jock. And shooting down a MiG-17 in a 'Spad'. Incredible! Also thought it was pretty cool how they modified that B-17 with several extra .50s. Talk about a "Flying Fortress"!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guys, this is the generation we should honor, and honor, and honor again until the very last one of them is gone.

Marc
    Marc H. Burcham
    Stone Mountain, Georgia

The B-17 story in that Dogfights episode was amazing, but I think Stan Vejtasa's fight with the Zeros was about the best example of combat pilot skill that I've ever seen or read about. Unbelievable that he out-fought experienced Japanese fighter jocks in a SBD with a rear gunner pinned by g-forces and unable to assist in his defense. Vejtasa was Commander Fleet Air Miramar when I was stationed there in 1968 but he was best known from WWII as a fighter guy, not a SBD driver.

Correction - "Swede" Vejtasa flew Wildcats with VF-10 from the Enterprise. He scored 7 more kills in one mission 2 Val, 5 Kate at Santa Cruz to add to his 3 SBD kills. 10 confirmed in 2 mssions. Wow.
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]