Martin B-57A/RB-57A Canberra WIP
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martin B-57A/RB-57A Canberra WIP

Blog Entries

Martin B-57A/RB-57A Canberra WIP

Hello all,

well, as part of the continuing Flying Stations Canberra series, I am now making good progress with the B-57A version. I've been wanting to tackle this for a while, and these American versions will be the focus of the next pack. So the brief background. While the B-57B-G tandem seat versions are far more well-known, the series began with the short-lived B-57A version, of which only 8 were built, before moving on to the dedicated reconnaissance version, the RB-57A. Even these were quickly supplanted by the preferred interdictor tandem versions.

However, as a fan of the 'goldfish bowl' bomber canopy types, I am making these early versions, and these may be (correct me if I am wrong) the first dedicated models, i.e. not just repaints of British B.2s, for the 57A series. This means completely revised and repainted cockpit with new seats, deleted overhead windows for the observer, new consoles, equipment and canopy heater strips. A shorter, rotating bomb bay door with new ordnance. Various other cosmetic differences such as the J65 engine and intakes, differing pitot etc.

Some shots of the natural metal B-57A:

Bay door rotated (have to admit, this was a definite improvement over my beloved British Canberras, pains me to say!)

back on the ground:

(smoke will be revised to get dirtier and denser soon):

I have to add, it's been a joy painting this one up, lots of lovely reflective, burnished natural metal, and of course, who doesn't love that garish tone of zinc oxide! Can't wait to get around to the RB-57A schemes...

Steven Beeny, FS repainter and modeller.

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.
    Watch the new Canberra promo video here: http://youtu.be/m3rWTivCupg

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Looks great as usual Steve; love the metal finish!

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

YES! Looking forward to these.....
    Matt

Fantastic, Steve! I can't wait to see the revised VCs in these Americanized British classics. I just bought your South American Export pack a few weeks ago and will gladly snap up this pack when it's released. Keep 'em coming.
    :ernae:

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the support, fellas and for buying the packs. The South American one was a fun one too.

Yes, the VC will be fun, it's amazing to see just how much the USAF designers cleaned up the EE cockpit design. Everything looks less crowded, far less 'coal hole', but then a lot of that was achieved with the light grey paint they used over the black finish of the Brit versions. I was most suprised to see the USAF seats were not a Martin-Baker design, so perhaps someone can tell me when these were first fitted to American planes. It's a totally different design that even has armrests; for someone only familiar with MB seats it was a trip to see that!

So, lot's of work to do on the VC and 2D panels now that the basic exterior is done. There will be some 'suprise' models also included in this pack - versions of the 57 I had not even heard about till recently. Should be a fun one

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.

Steve, which pack will contain the NASA variants? Are they RB's or NB's haha I don't even remember
    Matt

Blog Entries
    No NASA variants planned for this series, as they are built off the tandem seat arrangement. Those models are for a different series and a different day! This whole series is bomber canopy versions only, but there has been a lot of interest in fighter canopy and tandem seat versions that I will seriously have to consider them later this year.

Buuut...there might be a different kind of NASA version in the B-57 pack that should be suprising to users...

Cool...thanks, Steve! I will be looking forward to this pack for sure!
    Matt

Looking amazing, great work on the metalwork there. Whilst the USAF birds ain't my favs, they will certainly have a place in my collection.

:salute:
    Jamie

Blog Entries
    The metalwork was fun to do, have to admit. I got a new Wacom tablet to replace my aging Graphire 2, this Xmas and boy is it a joy to work with. Made the burnishing a lot easier to do, given the extra pressure sensitivity you get in the pen.

Jamie, have to agree, the tandem seaters are not my faves, but I admit they are growing on me. These at least are still goldfish bowlers so we have that common ground with the Brit types. Natty paintwork coming up on the recon birds, I'll give US Air National Guard units credit there, they had some great designers/painters on staff!

Beautyful!

The B2 version, I froze
    But as you will have money, buy the other type too!

Thank you!

Regards,

Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

...the tandem seaters are not my faves, but I admit they are growing on me.
    Personally, I love the fighter canopy versions more than any others. Something about their aesthetics always appealed to me. It might not be as original as the Brit design, but it just seems "meaner"...for lack of a better adjective. Either way I'll take whatever Canberras you spit out. Bill Holker's models are fantastic, as is the old Alphasim B-57...but neither of them measure up to the VC clarity and functionality of your versions...and NO disrespect meant to either of the aforementioned...which were great models in their day!

The only question remaining is how many more models of Canberra can there be to model? Steve, you just might achieve a FS record for the most variants of a single specific model ever offered.

Blog Entries
    Haha, yes indeed, I wondered when someone would point that out The thing is the Canberra had such a long and varied career, that it HAD so many variants! There aren't many planes that can boast that. The other thing is, I am just plain mad for the type and genuinely enjoy making them, even if some are perhaps 'unnecessary' to the FS world!

So to your question, I think I have material for 3 more packs, and even then, that is cutting out the RAF recon versions.

Agreed, the B-57 tandems do look mean; the bubble canopies just look friendlier, perhaps why I like them. And also agreed, Bill Holker and Paul Foster's models were and are ace, but I never had Alpha's Canberras.

Blog Entries

First RB-57A shots

Just took my first spin in the RB-57A version, very similar to the B-57A except with a camera bay and some other mods, pretty cool looking bird though. Here is the first of the paints, an Arkansas ANG bird.

Just cannot get enough zinc oxide...

Very nice Steve. Look forward to when you complete the package. Thank you.

Ed

Beautiful. Can't wait.

--WH

Quote Originally Posted by nazca_steve View Post
    I was most suprised to see the USAF seats were not a Martin-Baker design, so perhaps someone can tell me when these were first fitted to American planes. It's a totally different design that even has armrests; for someone only familiar with MB seats it was a trip to see that!

Yoo..hooo ..Steve... American (USAF) seats were by AMI
    http://www.ejectionsite.com/ami.htm; and IIRC the armrests contained the ejection trigger (handle); the USN on the other hand preferred Martin-Baker for its' aeroplanes, as the AMI seats could not be operated quickly enough below 500ft (ie if your plane was crashing and below 500ft; by the time seat triggered it would be too late); it was 1959 before AMI produced a rocket seat (for the F-106)

http://www.ejectionsite.com/emakers.htm

ttfn

Pete

Blog Entries
    Fascinating stuff, I had no idea who built them, now I've just learned something. Cheers for that Pete.

Awesome job Steve! You make these Cann's shine! (Fighter canopy and tandem seats this year please?)
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

Blog Entries
    Yep, I think these will be possible as FS9 models carrying on in this range. I was originally planning to do a whole new FSX build but think I will save that for a whole new project.

Yep, I think these will be possible as FS9 models carrying on in this range. I was originally planning to do a whole new FSX build but think I will save that for a whole new project.
    Good news. Thanks for the update.

--WH

Complete the Cann's series's then go back and make them all FSX native after FS9.
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    Complete the Cann's series's then go back and make them all FSX native after FS9.
    I second that.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Sweet, Steve! Glad I reinstalled FS9. I'd love to see an FSX series eventually -- FS9's really frustrating at times when you're used to FSX -- but it's worth going back just to be able to fly planes like this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Denny. Yes its the time-old FS9 vs. FSX dilemma, what do, what to do. I have tasted FSX briefly, and based on how good it looks, I know that aside from not yet having a machine capable of doing it justice, I need to hold off on installing it. It's like Pandora's box, once I have it, will I still continue to develop and enjoy FS9? Questionable. So, for now I will soldier on and finish this series. Any FSX fixes will be texture updates to the canopy glass, but not native new-builds on this series - too much work. FSX will be a totally new aircraft, most likely after I finish off some other to-do FS9 stuff.

In the meantime I have been working on tweaking the RB-57A and painting her up - a real pleasure. Hard to rein it in and keep working on the actual pack as there are so many cool colour schemes for this bird.

In her little (high gloss) black dress:

Opening the oh-so-cool rotary bomb bay

Yeah, this isn't really a recon run at this altitude!

Climbing back up and camera bay open (that tiny little thing aft of the bomb bay)

Members who have read this thread: 1