IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover due out in March!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover due out in March!!

IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover due out in March!!

Here is the promo video. This was going to be called Storm of War but they went with a new name. Looks awesome!!

Here is a link for Gamespot with more info: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6286579.html

.......IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover due out in March!! .......

Careful. They said that 6 years ago!
    Fighter Pilots make movies, ......... Bomber Pilots make History.

Blog Entries
    It does look very good but my pc will be no good for it. The dynamic shadows look great.
    They've gone for the online market again, which is ok, but it means it probably won't be very moddable, if at all. Also in the vid the ground textures look different to other shots I've seen of it.

Damned unsporting shooting down that Tiger Moth too!

edit..Just noticed this in the blurb,

EXCITING SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN
    The campaign thrusts the player into the middle of the Battle of Britain, where he will join the Royal Air Force to fight the Messerschmitt and renegade pilots on his own side.
    That sounds a bit iffy!

The cockpits look stunning though.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    Damned unsporting shooting down that Tiger Moth too!
    lol

I bought Wings of Prey a while back and was suprised at how my nearly 2 year old pc could run that. These graphics look simlar. I to wonder about how modable this game will be. If nothing else I hope that it will at least have a mission builder.

"Renegade pilots on his own side"?

Iffy isn't the word. It sounds bloody ridiculous. How many renegade pilots did you notice in Fighter Command in 1940? Whole bloody squadrons of them there were. Worse than Crimson Skies.

What utter bollocks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Blog Entries
    Nigel, you are priceless!

Home for tea and tiffin! BeauBrummie's Avatar
    Yup Nigel often injects a much needed dose of reality into things. You might be right about older PC's Clive. How much of a drain will multitudes of bombers and fighters in battle have on PC's? As usual IL2 water easily beats CFS3, but it is not realistic Channel conditions tho'. I'd love to see rolling waves and big sea waves. The crux for a lot of people tho' will be will IL2 have better FM's than usual.

Check out my website for info on CFS3, the Mosquito, Coastal Command, Coastal Forces and hosting 3rd Party Add-Ons.
    BEAUBRUMMIE'S CFS3 WEBSITE
    The Mosquito DBKF DH98 PROJECT
    Check out my YouTube video's
    BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

Quote Originally Posted by BeauBrummie View Post
    Yup Nigel often injects a much needed dose of reality into things. You might be right about older PC's Clive. How much of a drain will multitudes of bombers and fighters in battle have on PC's? As usual IL2 water easily beats CFS3, but it is not realistic Channel conditions tho'. I'd love to see rolling waves and big sea waves. The crux for a lot of people tho' will be will IL2 have better FM's than usual.
    Jeff we could fix the water in CFS3 with a little effort. All we need is an entrely new set of textures with the waves etc to replace the stodgy ones that are currently in there. I sure would love to see the water updated in RS and PTO before they are released.

Steve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Water

Can you take the textures (water) in FSX, convert them to dds and use them?

Home for tea and tiffin! BeauBrummie's Avatar
    That would be great as you know water is one of the most important textures seen by us CC boys :salute:

Check out my website for info on CFS3, the Mosquito, Coastal Command, Coastal Forces and hosting 3rd Party Add-Ons.
    BEAUBRUMMIE'S CFS3 WEBSITE
    The Mosquito DBKF DH98 PROJECT
    Check out my YouTube video's
    BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    ...but how can we depict wave 'height', ...much less the way it should look against a ship's hull
    or a sea plane float/hull???^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Water

It seems that the water FSX is dynamic. The cfs3 texture files have an alpha channel while the fsx do not but the fsx do have a water details file that looks much like an alpha channel. Also, fsx uses about 60 water textures files and 30 of these water detail files plus a few other reflection files. I think that the fsx files look better so maybe a little experimentation would yield acceptable improvements. I thought taking 16 water files and one of the water detail files (use this latter file as an alpha) and make 16 dds water textures. Rename them and convert to dds, drop them into the fxtexture folder and see what happens. Not that I have the time to do this, but if someone wants to freeware water textures are available so it seems fairly straight forward, well maybe?

Blog Entries
    but if someone wants to freeware water textures are available so it seems fairly straight forward, well maybe?
    I've started looking at this too Ted, where are the textures you mention available please?

Most of the cfs3 textures are to do with the animation I think. There are only a couple that are to do with the colour and wave pattern. I was going to do some experimenting over the weekend.

If anyone else has any ideas on this it would make a nice community project!

probably a stupid comment seeing as i am not a computer genius,
    but is there anything to do with water in the effects.XML, and if so, could that be edited?

the prospect of new water texture sound really cool, it would take CFS3 onto the next level...

PS if there is any simple and easy but dull work to be done, i will be happy to help out

Blog Entries
    is there anything to do with water in the effects.XML, and if so, could that be edited?
    Yes. The shaders.xml can be altered but it can do all sorts of weird things! There's a mod on soH called 'reflective waters' which does this. Only for the brave!

One easy tweak is in your cfs3 config - texture info - water detail texture you can change the setting to increase the wave scale, the higher the number, the bigger the wave.

After having looked at all this I don't think it's possible to get the sort of reflections possible in fsx. Having said that I think the WM / ETO sea is a pretty darn good. :salute:

reflective waters

Where exactly?

Blog Entries
    You got mail Ted.

I'm sure it came from SoH..or maybe Simviation?

Hi all,

We (Just Flight) are doing a pre-order offer on IL-2 Cliffs of Dover:

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover is priced at £29.99 / €37.95 / $44.99, and we're also giving 500 Just Rewards points with each pre-order.

More info here: http://www.justflight.com/newsDetail.asp?newsid=1890

Thanks
    Martyn

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    One easy tweak is in your cfs3 config - texture info - water detail texture you can change the setting to increase the wave scale, the higher the number, the bigger the wave
    ...I fear this would only effect the rocking, but not the visuals...(?)

Quote Originally Posted by ndicki View Post
    ...What utter bollocks.
    Yup, and trees at the bases of the famous limestone cliffs too?? Never been there myself but it seems awfully unrealistic.
    The whole thing looks too arcadish to me, including the effects. The only desirable things that I liked are the lighting in the cockpits, the cockpits themselves and the sea.
    I am so NOT gonna spend any money on this!

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

SOH-CM-2014
    Blog Entries

Wink

from what ive seen , if there is a golden nugget to be the found and used the masters in here will add it or revise it for use in this forum ,,,i.e. cfs3/maw/eto/pto etc,,,,,, pending the direction of the groups ...the master builders deceision.

it's just my personal opinion

i dont build, i fly try and send yee nice weather from canada

Charter Member 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by loverboy1 View Post
    from what ive seen , if there is a golden nugget to be the found and used the masters in here will add it or revise it for use in this forum ,,,i.e. cfs3/maw/eto/pto etc,,,,,, pending the direction of the groups ...the master builders deceision.

it's just my personal opinion

i dont build, i fly try and send yee nice weather from canada
    I'm going to what and see with this. That is what and see what you have to say about this. I did the checking into FSX for combat. Someone alse can step up to the plate with this.

flyer01:salute:
    CFS3-MAW,PTO,DPC Korea, OFF2 and ETO Expansions

FSX Gold Edition

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover

Rise of Flight

DCS A-10C Warthog

Train Simulator 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up Martyn.

However I'll be in the wait and see camp, it just looks to me as they're pandered to the IL2 fanboy market. There are threads over at Sim HQ amongst others about wrong cockpits, flaps deployment etc. Maybe trivial to some but in this day and age with the wealth of info available there is NO excuse to get these things wrong. Shall certainly be keeping an eye on it though.

All I've seen and heard tells me this is another arcade game intended for the ADD afflicted generation.

Much like all the television we see here in the US with popups in the middle of a program taking up to 1/3 of the screen to tell me what I'm watching (I already know) and what is coming up next (at the moment, I don't care). Then after a commercial, we have to review the last minutes BEFORE the commercial, because apparently people have no short term memory which will last through the commercial.

Then, it's back to the MTV style of videography (flicker, flicker, flash flash) which risks causing grand mal.

No, thanks, I prefer ETO, MAW etc where the concentration is on the SIM rather than the FlashBang.

Quote Originally Posted by loverboy1 View Post
    ...i dont build, i fly try and send yee nice weather from canada
    TRY HARDER!!!

@KellyB: British TV is heading the same way - grrrrr!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7