OT: What is your favorite WW2 aircraft and why does it appeal to you? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: What is your favorite WW2 aircraft and why does it appeal to you?

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post

The Just Flight /AH Hurricane Mk1 prototype. The Hurricane was the mainstay of the BoB for the RAF, but the prototype also reminds me of the earlier Hawker biplanes which were so colourful in the interwar years.
    well remember the Hurri was originally designed as a Biplane Fighter, and was the true hero of the Battle of Britain :salute:

it's good to see how diverse we all are here, wonder if i'll be the only one to admit to liking the Typhoon

AND lets not forget the initial series mustangs, no i'm not talking the US ones, i'm talking the RAF Mustang I's and A-36 Apaches

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    The DeHavilland Type 98 "the Mosquito"...

And it renamed Mr.Göring-->Meier

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post
    Flame suit on-->Without the British Merlin and the help of the Brit's the P-51 would have been hmmm nothing.
    Roland
    I mentioned this mate. Hence my comment about how American it is to have an immigrant background lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyValkyrie View Post
    I mentioned this mate. Hence my comment about how American it is to have an immigrant background lol.
    True wasn't ment in an offensive way-I am an aerodynmaic engineer(past) and a P-51 H is closest to perfect (aerodynamical) shape.(as the Mosquito-->the speed doesnt come free of charge)

Roland

Reply...

My two favorites are in this picture...

The Fiat G-55 "Centauro" and the Lockheed P-38 "Lightning."

The Centauro in particular is an under-appreciated aircraft that was sadly not built in sufficient numbers. It had beautiful handling, was extremely competitive in performance with any other Allied fighter of its time, and had two 12.7mm machine guns and three 20mm cannons. It also had a wide-track landing gear, and many German test pilots preferred it to the Messerschmitt Bf-109.

As far as the P-38 Lightning, I fell in love with its appearance (especially the "J" model) when I saw a picture of it as a kid. It's an aircraft, those miscast as an air-superiority fighter, (it was really an interceptor) which at least held its own in every theatre it was in, and was truly stellar in both the Med and the Pacific.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Ya know, I'm not sure you can truly call yourself an enthusiast if your favorites list for any part of aviation has less than 100 entries. On the other hand, maybe that is the legal limit for being committed, I can't remember which.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    Anyway,<o></o>
    <o></o>
    I will definitely second the Typhoon in the British category. I like big aircraft, with big guns, and for a "fighter" it does not get much bigger or badder than the Typhoon.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Overall, my "all categories" favorite is the PBY Catalina. My grandfather crewed them, and it was one of the first aircraft to have a specific panel and crew position for what would later become a Flight Engineer, a crewmember near and dear to my heart. I love the utilitarian nature of 'Catie, almost the four wheel drive all-purpose Jeep of aviation.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    --Dan <o></o>

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    I must say that if I had to choose one plane off my list of many it would be the Lockheed P-38 Lightning. It was cutting edge at the time, and Kelly Johnson really thought out of the box with it. Definately a sharp looking craft even if she did not have the same impact on the war as say the P-51, or Spitfire.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Good responses guys, keep 'em coming... I've noticed the stang, P-38 trend. I like both of those aircraft, and they did their jobs extremely well. I especially like the P-51B/C. I also forgot to mention one that was somewhat borderline. While developed for use in WWII, the Hawker Sea Fury never saw action in the war. I think it's one of the nicest looking British piston aircraft. Like others developed late war, it served well in korea. It's also a great racing aircraft.

Hmm, to me this changes all the time. I really like all the naval US aircraft by Grumman and Douglas for their toughness and brutish looks, and also the PBY Catalina has one of my top ratings.

I also like the german aircraft, expecially the Do-335 Pfeil for its outstanding technical design and performance. Expecially for my grandfather, who flew it, the Ju-88 has a special place in my heart. Ahh, and the Fw190, of course, this is a dream machine. The more I think about the subject the more come to my mind :-)

Cheers,
    Mark

Baa Baa Baaa

I would have to pick the F4U Corsair. I fell in love with Whistling Death when I originally watched Baa Baa Black Sheep on TV back in the day, with Robert Conrad. Great Flight scenes.

Shamus

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I would have to pick the F4U Corsair. I fell in love with Whistling Death when I originally watched Baa Baa Black Sheep on TV back in the day, with Robert Conrad. Great Flight scenes.

Shamus

Geeez, I forgot Chance-Vought and the F4Ux
    Thanks for the video, great stuff!

Cheers,
    Mark

Members +
    Doolittle Raid on Japan, 18 April 1942 --
    Raiding Force B-25s on board USS Hornet

It was then and still till today,the very versatile Mitchell North American B-25 is my favorite all time WW2 plane...That Act by That man and crew,Billy Mitchell,and the B-25 was a turning point in those very dark days.It lifted America from the nightmare of Pearl Harbor and gave hope for Victory!!!.Men ,Machine, Carrier,Mission...in perfect harmoney....Thanx for the memory!..

The C-47 holds a special place for me because it was my Grandpappy's bird. And the fact that it is still in active service is a tribute to its design. It is still a very hard aircraft to beat for its cargo and shortfield abilities. This picture sums it up:salute:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/AVIAC...ain/1697422/L/

For fighters
    for pure looks IMO the Spitfire IX is one of the most beautiful aircraft created. The RealAir IX was what made me come to the darkside and leave my beloved FS9. It has provided me with many hours of very enjoyable flying and will continue to until the A2A IX is available

The TA-152H, P-51D, A6M5 also on my favorite list

bombers
    the B-17, what can I say it is just such a beauty to fly. also the B-32 Dominator was quite interesting, I thought it was actually a little more beautiful than the B-29. Tho the B-50 was after ww-2 I think it is ultimately my favorite piston Bomber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consoli...B-32_Dominator

The PBY is also a favorite, it is like owning a big cruiser sailboat, go tour the world.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by pilottj View Post
    Bombers
    the B-17, what can I say it is just such a beauty to fly. also the B-32 Dominator was quite interesting, I thought it was actually a little more beautiful than the B-29. Tho the B-50 was after ww-2 I think it is ultimately my favorite piston Bomber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consoli...B-32_Dominator

Cheers
    TJ
    I also believe the B-32 is more beautiful than the B-29 - though the Superfort still turns heads
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by padburgess View Post
    Mathias

Please, have some sympathy. Showing me those blanks. I am 56 this year, by FS203x I will be, well lets just say "past it". No offence to those 70+ members out there.
    Regard it as an act of kindness or whatever but please please start work on the Do24 as soon as you have released the Bf108, Bf110, Fw189 etc.

Oh yeah and thank you for the brilliant work on the Fw190 series. They are truly awesome.

Best Regards
    Paul
    Mathias,

Do you think you really could make a Do.24 for FSX, after your Bf110?
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

In Finland the Brewster Model 239.

It may not have been the prettiest (nick name in Finland "the flying bear bottle" ) and certainly not the best fighter of that time (we didn't have any better) but in the hands of Finnish pilots and with the kill ratio 32:1 it was a very valuable weapon against the Soviet Union's overwhelmingly numerous air force.

Pekka

As you might know I love single engine fighters. So without any hesitation I can say the early Messerschmitt Bf109 is my favourite WWII aircraft. When you ever have the chance to take a close look at one, you can admire the craftsmanship with which they are put together. The FW190 is a nice second, because of its sleek lines, but the Bf109 was the first of the 'modern' WWII aircrafts and when the war started the design was a light year further than anything else available.

The Hurricane is my favourite RAF fighter. It has beautiful lines and is a beautiful bridge between the classic build aircraft and the all metal aircraft.

The Dutch didn't have much, but the Fokker C-X (not a fighter) and the Fokker G-1 are definitely beautiful aircraft.

The Curtiss P-36 has always been my favourite US aircraft. I like the sturdy look and it looks almost like something from a comic book.

The French Caudron C-714 is in my opinion the best looking French aircraft. I like it because looks more like a pre-war racer than like a fighter.

The triangular wing shape of most Russian aircraft makes most of them look good. When I ad to choose one I would pick the YAK-3.

Almost all Italian aircraft look good. For some reason I love the Macchi aircraft best. It is hard to choose between a MC.200, MC.202 or MC.205. But the MC.202 Folgore is my favourite.

Cheers,
    Huub

Bf-109 from the "F" and up.

I just can't fly anything else in IL-2, even though I find the 109 to be a bit fragile. But you're not supposed to get hit when you're out to kill.

Fighting in a 109 feels a bit like fencing. You're wearing your fighting glove and you strike quickly and precisely. No wonder why many 109 aces were masters at aerial gunnery.

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Bombers... going to be a tie between B-17 and B-25.

Of course I am going to have a naval bias here

British... Spitfire.... beautiful aircraft.

U.S. Gotta love the P-40 and the Wildcat. (Early war bias in as well.)

Germany:Bf-109

Japan: Zero-sen (boy do we need an FSX model) and B5N Kate...... deadly.

Got em close to all covered thanks to Vertigo's efforts on the Mitchell.

Still would love to see the IJN aircraft above and a TBD.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Hawker Hurricane, (now thats a surprise given my username)

I've always been partial to the underdog , a plane or person that faceing incredable odds comes out on top. The Hurri was the unsung hero of the Battle of Britian and even though in most cases was out performend by her opponents ,was able, because of her rugged construction to bring many a pilot home. She could also out turn both the Spit and BF 109 but had poor acceleration and slower top speed.
    BUT, the top RAF scorer in the Battle was was Robert Tuck who scored 12 on Hurris and 17 on Spits, the top all around RAF pilot of the war was Marmaduke Pattle who scored 26 on Hurris and 15 on Gladiators. Also the only Victoria Cross awarded to a Fighter Command Pilot was Flt Lt Nicolson during the Battle.
    Also the Hurri shot down more German aircraft during the Battle than all other defences combined, and according to the leading expert on the Hurri Francis K Mason ,it shot down more enemy aircraft during the war than any other RAF fighter by a wide margin.(Wings of Fame ,vol 2 page 124).
    True it wasn't the best as far as preformance, but it was in the fight from beginng to end and remained the most numerous RAF fighter against the Japanese till the end.It was there on D-Day ( flying dispatches between the resistance and the Allies) ,and was always there when needed ,and held the line in whatever theater it served in. Thanks for letting me vent.

Any plane that the Military Channel is profiling......

Seriously, anytime I watch a documentary, I'm mentally going through the hangar inventory to see if I have one.

But, to single out one, it would have to be the P-51 Mustang. It just looks like something to be reckoned with. On the English side, the Hawker Typhoon. Great looking aircraft and heavy hitter.

For multi-engined ones: B-17G Flying Fortress & the Lancaster.

On the Axis side: FW-190 (all variants) and the Zero. Throw in the HE-111 and you are there.
    Also, in a class by itself: ME-262A. It just looks like something you didn't want to meet when you're low on fuel and ammo.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

My favorite is probably a toss-up between The Grumman F6F Hellcat and The Chance/Vought F4U Corsair.That said I believe The HellCat was a very important part of turning the tide of War in the Pacific Theater.

The F6F was Grummans answer to battling The highly manuverable Japanese Mitsubishi A6M Zero.With a PW R2800 Double Wasp 18cyl Radial engine, It was much more manuverable and powerful than it's predecsessor F4FWildcat,And with heavy armor/self sealing fuel tanks and six Browning .50cal Machine guns it packed a hell of a punch!!! I gotta vote for The Big Cat!
    Attachment 28585
    Attachment 28586
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Patrick

If I had to pick just one then it would probably be the Lancaster with the spitfire close behind it.

I do love visiting the axis aircraft at the RAF museum in Hendon though, it's one of the few places that has a He111, Ju88, Ju87 and Me109 all in excellent condition.

Curtiss AT-9....

To me it has the classic lines of the golden age of aviation. It’s absolutely beautiful. Because they were intentionally designated to be hard to fly most were scraped at the end of their career instead of being sold to into the civilian ga market.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

My fav WW2 aircraft are the late war types. Those that where most technically advanced in airframe, powerplant, electronics. Always have been impressed with the technology that came from the war.