trivial question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trivial question

Yes, but as the original also flew like a house-brick, that doesn't help much. Fast in straight lines, rolls really well, but that's about it. Climbs and turns noticeably less well than a 109, and in horizontal dogfighting, a Spit will chew it up in no time. Strictly boom-and-zoom, which isn't how I like to fight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Blog Entries
    Do I need permission to use the "ACC_" type buildings ond other items to use in facilities and if I do, who to contact?
    The ACC stuff has always been provided free for anyone to use, just mention us in the readme please.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

ACC facilities for MB

Thanks Pat

Will do

God bless

PRang :salute:

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Fw 190 flying Brick, WOW that doesn't say much for the Spits does it.

Until late in the war, the Fw 190 eat British Spits like candy..
    Not until the Spit Mk IX did the Brits have anything even close to it.
    And that statement is from the British pilots who faced this Great bird..

Just because MS made a Fw 190 that sucks in the game (and it does)
    doesn't mean that the Fw 190 was at all like this..

I have a flight model EVA from Slip Stream(God Bless Him)
    That changes the FW 190 into the dangerous and respected bird She really is..

So don't confuse the Bad MS models with the real thing..

The Brits were scared to death of the Fw 190 during the war, and for very good reason..
    As in a interview I have on a program (Made by The BBC) several British pilots all stated that the Fw 190 beat down the RAF, and caused many good Allied pilots to die..

And if the men who fought against the Fw 190 said it was a very dangerous Bird.
    I will go with them..

Not some MS modeller who has No idea how to build a true FW 190 flight model..
    Just because many of the British are ashamed to admit that the Spit and Hurricane were badly out classed by the FW 190... does not mean it wasn't so..

The Brave British Pilots who faced this bird have a very different story to tell..

Can't help but beat up the Brits sometimes, they make such easy targets..
    Just like a Spitfire in the gun sights of a Real FW 190..Doomed...

Off to hide, this is going to cause a fight....:tgun2:

Tsk tsk!

Really Owen, you ought to read Nigel's post again. A Spit will chew up a Fw190 in a dogfight, not a boom & zoom fight. Nigel likes dogfights and CFS3 AI aircraft dogfight, not boom & zoom.

When the Fw190 was introduced to combat, the predominant Spit was the Mark V and yes, the Fw190A was a better fighter. The Mark V airframe had a bigger Merlin fitted and this stopgap version became the Mark IX which was fully a match for the Fw190A.

But if you want a good FM for a Fw190, I prefer the AvH models, and their Fw190D-9 especially is a favourite of mine. You just have to fly it to its strengths, like any model. Try dogfighting against Spits in a Me262 and see how long your fur stays unscathed.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

i agree... to a point!

when the fw190 fist came out it munched the spit v that we had at the time.
    however, when a German pilot mistook the Bristol Chanel for the English Chanel:isadizzy:, he landed his 190 at RAF Pembrey. British engineers analyzed the aircraft and gained a great insight into its strong and weak points, allowing the spit IX to be built with that knowledge in mind.
    see http://www.military-aircraft.org.uk/...ulf-fw-190.htm for more info

and i do agree that the ms flight flight models are !

Quote Originally Posted by cjcz7 View Post
    ... when a German pilot mistook the Bristol Chanel for the English Chanel:isadizzy:, he landed his 190 at RAF Pembrey. British engineers analyzed the aircraft and gained a great insight into its strong and weak points, allowing the spit IX to be built with that knowledge in mind....
    The Spit Mk IX was first flown in Feb 1942 and was already in production in June 1942, the month when the 190 was captured intact...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

i must have heard wrong in that case!:redf:

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Yea, just picking on the Brits, The Spit Mk IX was the bird to match the fw 190 without question..

I have many WW2 programs on VHS, most producted in the UK..
    And almost to a man, the british pilots state the FW 190 had them running scared for some time..
    And I do realize the Fw 190 had the advantage over the Spits below 15k, above this a Spit could out dance a Fw 190 without any problems, for the most part..

But to be honest the Fw 190 and the Spit Mk IX were well matched.. The Spit MkV were easy prey for a experienced FW 190 driver..

And above 20k even a P-38 could turn with a Fw 190..
    Higher the Fw 190 went the worse it turned..

But down Low The Fw 190 (below 15k) according to the British men who fought against Her said, Bloody Dangerous.. Even one Squadron Leader was quoted to say,
    "We Prayed we didn't find FW 190's above us"

The pilots of the war all agreed from both sides.. That a Fw 190 was a very dangerous bird even to the end of the war..

And I do understand the British love for their Spits..
    Heck, if you only have one good fighter plane during the entire war, I'd bet anyone would Say great things about it....

Well there goes my hope for a pretty Purple and Pink Dotted FW 190 to shoot down Spits with ...

You prayed you didn't find FWs above you, because that was precisely the right tactic to use the FW to its best advantage. The bounce. If you survived the initial bounce (assuming you're flying a Spit) then you have every likelihood of surviving the rest as well - because the FWs will not stop to play. They may try and come back at you on a second run, but if their boss knows his aircraft, they will not attempt a turning fight. 109s would - but as they were less able to "corner" than the Spit (depending on variant, height, speed, etc, etc), Spits could out-turn them but not out-dive or necessarily out-climb them, depending on the variant of Spit this time. The Spit was a good aircraft though to hold on the edge of a stall; it gave plenty of warning, and you could hold it just there; the 109 was not so easy, and the 190 would fall out of the sky like a brick.

If I have to fight 190s or 109Gs, give me a Spit XIVe any day. It'll out-climb the 190 easily, and has the edge on the 109. It dives as well as either, and can out-turn both easily.

Horses for courses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Members who have read this thread: 0