Last chance...Failure to Initialize Data Base Once again....

Thread: Last chance...Failure to Initialize Data Base Once again....

Last chance...Failure to Initialize Data Base Once again....

OK, i have almost had it with CFS2...

i loaded up MR Marianas and after searching for missing things finally had it in i thought, but i got

Failure to Initialize Data Base ..cant launch /Quick Flight Error

The only thing i may have is duplicate entries in the mdl names....but otherwise i have followed all the rules..i thought i might have too many ships or planes..and moved some to storage...that did not help.

any suggestions?
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    If I am not mistaken, this message is almost always, exclusively I believe, a problem with the number of planes in the hangar.

Maybe its with the airbases.dat file- can't quite recall just which one causes which error message.

Just as a drill throw 10 or so of your add on planes folders into a reserve folder someplace and see what happens.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Thanks Chris, that was nice of you to reply..i got a bit nuts with that error, i took a break and had dinner and will try to sort it out..

ok, i will try the plane thing, i added a couple of planes recently maybe one of them had a bad file..

i will try that with the ships too as i have a LOT of them

i was trying to get your Marianas to work and kept getting blue walls and no land even tho i turned off Rhumbas LOD8 files...

lots to work on.

UPDATE: No Joy on that, moved a bunch of the planes and ships to storage...no go

I am deleting all the CDPs as i seem to recall that helps too...

second update:

i removed all the CDPs from planes and ships...no go

still giviing that same dang error. i Hate that one. sigh. I may give up for a while this is not fun.
    Admin

Hmmmm...

Chris,

I'd be willing to bet that it might be something else that can easily go missed when looking for "the usual suspects." When you installed this scenery, did it require Xavier's piers and breakwaters, or his forts and walls, by chance?

One of the problems with downloading his or other library objects is that certain packs will cause FID errors if you follow the instructions and add the entries to the mdlnames.txt file as directed. I run across this occasionally, especially with Xavier's piers & breakwaters, as well as the forts & walls.

One of the ways you can confirm my hunch is if you have the install disks and/or a "clean" copy of CFS2 with a "stock" mdlnames.txt file.

You'll need to make sure to delete all your .cdp files, delete all the filelist.dat files, and swap out your quick combat (.qcb) file with a backup. But I'm almost 90% sure that your error may in fact be coming from this problem with your mdlnames.txt file.

If you can run the stock mdlnames.txt file without an error, (once you delete the .cdp & filelist.dat files, as well as swap out a "clean" quick combat file) then you have found your problem, my friend. This is why I have gotten into the habit of making a backup of my mdlnames.txt file before adding anything to it, because this has been a fairly common occurrence with me.

Good night and good luck...:salute:
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

"FAILURE TO INITIALIZE...."

Chris;
    You said you added some planes, check the Sound folders. I have sometimes run across that when I add new planes and it is "aliased" to the stock zero or some other planes sound. I use a central sound folder so I have to change them all as I add them. Start with the planes before you go bonkers.:isadizzy:
    Do you get the "wall" at any of the other bases besides MR's Mariannas? Check that you have the right version, I believe that MR is up to version 5 on that one. It is great work and really worth it, but follow the papertrail and you will be victorious!.

Here is a old post by Wolfie on this; http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...t=23419&page=1

A quick side question. What happens if you hit the "enter " key on your keyboard? Does it progress or continue to give you the electronic rasberry?

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    OK, i have almost had it with CFS2...

i loaded up MR Marianas and after searching for missing things finally had it in i thought, but i got

Failure to Initialize Data Base ..cant launch /Quick Flight Error

The only thing i may have is duplicate entries in the mdl names....but otherwise i have followed all the rules..i thought i might have too many ships or planes..and moved some to storage...that did not help.

any suggestions?
    I had the same problem a while back and my my mdl names.txt file size exceeded 40kb and once I got rid of all the duplicate entries and got it down to 34kb all was fine. Looks like below 40kb is the magic number. Not saying that is causing your problem but that's what caused mine.

kwb737 nailed it...

After you've tried everything else to no avail, its always an over-sized mdlnames file that's keeping you out of FF and QC.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

ADDENDUM

In my previous post I attributed a post concerning this subject to "Wolfie". It was late and I wrote the wrong name. The actual author of the instruction was "Bearcat241". My apologizes for the wrong attribution to those concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    In my previous post I attributed a post concerning this subject to "Wolfie". It was late and I wrote the wrong name. The actual author of the instruction was "Bearcat241". My apologizes for the wrong attribution to those concerned.
    This very true that Bearcat had the answer to my problem. Here is part of what he said.

I've also had this error persist when my mdlnames.txt file size exceeded 40kb. I cured it by just deleting all of the old carryover CFS1 objects names from my mdlnames file which i knew i would never use, like the British, German and French buildings and landmarks that will never see usage in my PTO, CBI, MTO or Korea installs. Got the file size down to under 36kb. But i wouldn't recommend this unless you REALLY know what you're doing in modifying the sim, because it involves knowing how all the many parts relate to each other.

thank you guys for the suggestios, I am sure some of them may help. for now i have suspended work on CFS2..i just reached the end of my rope and I know when I am there because i feel like i am hitting the same spot on the wall with my head. Life has many challenges for me curently including getting back to work on my professional work...so i will sadly shelve CFS2 for now..and return maybe..i will see. I saved the massive download of Rhumbas mexhes whcih Rami helped us learn to centralize so CFS2 may rise again but for now, the aggrivation is just not worth it for me. I am sorry for some of the projects I wanted to achieve..ports, Aleutians, and Pearl. but it will have to wait until and when. thanks to all for all the great help and support. And Happy New year.
    Admin

Take it easy skipper! A couple of days or so away from the dang sim, and you may feel better.:salute:

I seem to have a major melt down about once a week! It's such a great hobby, most of the time.:ernae: