For those who don't know yet : MyTraffic 2006 (4.1) now free
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who don't know yet : MyTraffic 2006 (4.1) now free

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    How does this compare with Ultimate Traffic for 2004?

While it is nice to get this program as freeware I find the release post unnecessarily offensive - calling all flightsim freeware "worthless software"? WTF?!! I can only hope that this is a misguided attempt at humour. I would post this over there but have no intention of registering just to rant! :angryfir:

Sascha

Quote Originally Posted by TomSteber View Post
    How does this compare with Ultimate Traffic for 2004?
    I tried it and ended up going with Just Flight's Traffic; may have been an earlier version. I did download it though.

Worthless Software?

I find this is the continuing mentality of this atitude in the fltsim world. If it is not the most update FS then all past flightsim programs are worthless...I am always seeing on VA sights (not all) That they do not support FS2002 or Fs2004. There is nothing wrong or obsolte about FS2004, to me it is the best ever and I will continue to fly its skies...in my opinum only FSX is a great sim and I do have it, but I see now more payware for this sim then freeware, I think it will never be as popular as FS2004.

Cheers

Casey

I like the line
    Its now more than 4 years ago that FS9 got obsoleted by FSX
    When did that happen, i must of missed it
    cheers ian

You're not alone. I missed that one too.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Huh....

..Then my collection of CFS2 aircraft is exceedingly 'worthless'.

I like and prefer FS9 and CFS2 to other 'modern' sims because of the freeware support.
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    While it is nice to get this program as freeware I find the release post unnecessarily offensive - calling all flightsim freeware "worthless software"? WTF?!! I can only hope that this is a misguided attempt at humour. I would post this over there but have no intention of registering just to rant! :angryfir:

Sascha
    Remembering that English is not the first language for Claudius, I suspect his meaning was slightly different than we read it. I know Claudius has been supportive of our efforts for some time. I looked at his intent like "Not marketable as payware is".

EDIT: Upon retrospect, and being informed that Burkhard is NOT Claudius, I apologize for the assumption above. (Insert embarrassed face here)

Quote Originally Posted by casey jones View Post
    I find this is the continuing mentality of this atitude in the fltsim world. If it is not the most update FS then all past flightsim programs are worthless...I am always seeing on VA sights (not all) That they do not support FS2002 or Fs2004. There is nothing wrong or obsolte about FS2004, to me it is the best ever and I will continue to fly its skies...in my opinum only FSX is a great sim and I do have it, but I see now more payware for this sim then freeware, I think it will never be as popular as FS2004.

Cheers
    Casey
    That's a shame. I still develop for FS9, FS8, and help with and support the CFS2/3 conversions. There is still a loyal following for these earlier sims and I do not intend to abandon loyalty anytime soon.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Charter Member 2011
    Yes I think perhaps we are burdened by all the smiley flags we use - no question that the release post is intended as humour, just not signposted in the "usual" way!

I am curious as to the possible benefits of this and other (payware) AI packages, over something like World of AI/Alpha India/Fruitstand/Aardvark/RATS et al.
    I'd have thought they more than catered for worldwide AI traffic??

It looked to me like an attempt at sarcasm. Hard to pull off on a forum if English is your first language.

Let's hope it was just a language thing, as otherwise we'd have to ask for an entire 27 page thread to be renamed from "Freeware gems" to "Worthless software".
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Would love to hear any opinions about the product itself - as Wing_Z asked, how does it compare to the currently available freeware offerings?
    I'm hesitant to try it because apparently it is a bit of a frame-rate reducing space hog, with no uninstaller. Has anyone else actually used it ?

Cheers, A.

There's a review of My Traffic 2006 here at Avsim
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

I definitely do not agree to Burkhard's (whom I presume being Burkhard Renk, the creator of "My Traffic") statement about "FS9 becoming obsoleted by FSX", but I appreciate his gesture to turn this software into freeware.
    So instead of discussing about possible language shortcomings, we should agree about this:

1. FSX got obsoleted by FS2004 in advance.
    2. Thanks to Burkhard for making a fine and useful program free!

I use MyTraffic2004 since January 2007 and still enjoy its plethora of aircraft, adequate paints and flightplans. I don't waste a single minute about their accuracy and perceive them as nice decoration of my flightsim world. Nothing more - nothing less!

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Honestly, stick with WOAI, the only positive of MyTraffic is the all in one installer as opposed to individualy installing airlines. I jacked in Just Flights Traffic in favour of WOAI because the amount of free, high quality and constantly updated AI there is out there you shouldn't need to pay for AI ever again. The MyTraffic and Just Flight stuff looks very dated when put next to WOAI.

WWI started because some bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry.

Just curious if many of you who only fly from GA fields even bother with AI traffic? They can't be seen while flying in the air and sometimes I wonder what the point is.

Quote Originally Posted by rich12545 View Post
    Just curious if many of you who only fly from GA fields even bother with AI traffic? They can't be seen while flying in the air and sometimes I wonder what the point is.
    Because it makes your sky alive.
    Even when flying only GA, sometimes you want to land in an airport controlled by a tower, and seeing planes in and around that airport is definitely enjoyable.
    You don't need to limit your flights to the major airports to see AI flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke123 View Post
    Honestly, stick with WOAI, the only positive of MyTraffic is the all in one installer as opposed to individualy installing airlines. I jacked in Just Flights Traffic in favour of WOAI because the amount of free, high quality and constantly updated AI there is out there you shouldn't need to pay for AI ever again. The MyTraffic and Just Flight stuff looks very dated when put next to WOAI.
    I would second that; I am just too lazy to hunt down and install the individual airlines and AFCADs from WOAI. I have already replaced Just Flight's military traffic with files from Military AI Works. Just Flight's Traffic gets me by for civilian and GA traffic.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rich12545 View Post
    It makes a huge difference to the immersion to arrive at a small airport and find a Cessna or whatnot on the grass, or maybe in the circuit.
    Way back in the NZ context, we had a number of excellent sceneries which had no AI service at all, being ignored by the purveyors of heavy iron.
    We created a nationwide sub-5t AI fleet and it totally transformed the experience.
    Making it authentic added to the "eye candy" content for local flyers: "Ooh look there's the plane we used for first solo, parked on the grass at Ardmore!"
    The trick is not to expect too much..of course they're not going to be there all the time.
    But if you fly enough, there will be enough encounters to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke123 View Post
    Honestly, stick with WOAI...The MyTraffic and Just Flight stuff looks very dated when put next to WOAI.
    Quote Originally Posted by awj112 View Post
    I would second that; I am just too lazy to hunt down and install the individual airlines and AFCADs from WOAI...
    Thanks, I somehow suspected that the newer WOAI would be hard to beat - after all that's why I all but abandoned PAI.
    These days I hardly ever fly from AFCAD-only airfields...I'll install a high-quality free-or payware scenery, and then go to WOAI and install traffic for it.
    I find it a very powerful feature.
    As to military traffic, I couldn't think of a single reason to uninstall the MAIW stuff I have at present, it's brilliant.

The trick to being happy.....

....is learning to be like the old donkey that the farmer wanted to bury in his well...as he kept shoveling dirt on the donmkey in the well...the donkey simply shook of the dirt and stepped up.

My 2 cents.
    Sid

I find life to be VERY subjective. I like what I like and do not like what I do not like. I will, however, leave to the indidvidual to make up thier own mind. Who am I to pass judgement? That being said, I have purchased FS9 payware that was awesome. Some I would not load even if it was freeware. I have some freeware that blows some of the better payware projects away. Some free freeware should be payware (pay me to use it). However, most people, in thier attempt at feeling important pass on very specific judgemants and opinions. Be a duck. Make up your own mind, and do not pass judgement on the one who may say things that you disagree with. We all have the right to be who we are as long as we do not cause hurt or damage to another. I find the different ego's in the flight sim world to be a matter of entertainment. Just my 4 cents(adjusted for infaltion).
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

Charter Member 2011
    I'm not entirely sure where this conversation is going...or coming from.
    The author has by his own admission, dropped a previously payware item into the freeware market because it no longer measures up.

It now has to compete with some seriously competent stuff in that area.
    It is perfectly reasonable to ask where it might fit in, especially since it looks like quite a commitment to install.
    Markus looks happy enough with it...
    From the above discussion, I might not uninstall what I already have, built up over a long period.

Does anyone have a problem with this approach?
    Then say so, and why...

Quote Originally Posted by dandog View Post
    I find life to be VERY subjective. I like what I like and do not like what I do not like. I will, however, leave to the indidvidual to make up thier own mind. Who am I to pass judgement? That being said, I have purchased FS9 payware that was awesome. Some I would not load even if it was freeware. I have some freeware that blows some of the better payware projects away. Some free freeware should be payware (pay me to use it). However, most people, in thier attempt at feeling important pass on very specific judgemants and opinions. Be a duck. Make up your own mind, and do not pass judgement on the one who may say things that you disagree with. We all have the right to be who we are as long as we do not cause hurt or damage to another. I find the different ego's in the flight sim world to be a matter of entertainment. Just my 4 cents(adjusted for infaltion).
    Very zen mate but he asked for people's opinion's and judgment's and they're giving him their opinion's and judgement's. What's the problem here? We've had it in countless other threads so why are people getting covertly snarky over this one?

WWI started because some bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    I definitely do not agree to Burkhard's (whom I presume being Burkhard Renk, the creator of "My Traffic") statement about "FS9 becoming obsoleted by FSX", but I appreciate his gesture to turn this software into freeware.
    So instead of discussing about possible language shortcomings, we should agree about this:

1. FSX got obsoleted by FS2004 in advance.
    2. Thanks to Burkhard for making a fine and useful program free!

I use MyTraffic2004 since January 2007 and still enjoy its plethora of aircraft, adequate paints and flightplans. I don't waste a single minute about their accuracy and perceive them as nice decoration of my flightsim world. Nothing more - nothing less!

Cheers,
    Markus.
    I have to agree Markus; it is now freeware and seems to be a very nice, feature-rich package. Let's enjoy it, be thankful and move one. Happy Holidays everyone.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Members who have read this thread: 3